Change
VISITORS: Your access to view photos and site information is limited as a guest.
Click here to join now

Toggle shoutbox Shoutbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

UsernameOpti... : (18 April 2014 - 08:09 PM) Hello to:  Starburst, SarahMarie, andymiles01, JuliaC, brookbird, KathrynCamfield and nicole13...Welcome to TGG
UsernameOpti... : (14 April 2014 - 02:18 PM) Hello to:  StefanieStefani, Fred, Egc382, poshgirl, SabrinaFatale, LauriePlumb, Roberta4t, Way2beme, Crystal43938, moutaz123, lindsaysayland, Dialma, Rileytroop, volcrazy40, AbigailGreen, CBorden, Sabrina, amanstarr, yoloynot, Hesmyfriend, alexandrous and vigor003...Welcome to TGG
Hesmyfriend : (12 April 2014 - 11:23 PM) Hello to everyone.
Sabrina : (12 April 2014 - 12:00 AM) hello
AbigailGreen : (10 April 2014 - 11:10 AM) Hey am new to the site, just thought i'd say hi lol
stephani : (05 April 2014 - 10:29 PM) Hello and Welcome To All The New Members.
Egc382 : (05 April 2014 - 03:03 PM) Hello everybody, I just joined. Looking forward to interacting with everyone.
Fred : (04 April 2014 - 12:57 AM) Hey guys
UsernameOpti... : (03 April 2014 - 03:24 PM) Hello to:  Raisin, missdelecia, cat, Tgirlinodessa, kml, rashu, ronny, logstud3, teana87, KatyaMarincheva, MelanieH74, krenraf, Der48735, jesretoj, steve212, oneshyguy420, sarahlambert, bugswanny, frankmc73, ilovecrossdressing, Hannah, kittyxoxo, Niki, Kimmeycd, CandyCox, litimmy45, hcurt, ucyll, Pleasegetatme, monumentalaccount, Hisprincess101010, AshtonEcstacy, GarieJeane, Deegirl, Zohan, golferfan59 and brandystone53...Welcome to TGG
Zohan : (02 April 2014 - 10:10 AM) Hello everyone
GarieJeane : (01 April 2014 - 06:45 AM) Hello everyone
AshtonEcstacy : (01 April 2014 - 02:59 AM) ello
Sarah1967 : (26 March 2014 - 03:53 PM) Hi
Gennee : (26 March 2014 - 07:25 AM) Happy birthday,Trinity and Liz. :)
steve212 : (25 March 2014 - 03:34 PM) hi everybody
stephani : (24 March 2014 - 11:21 AM) Hello Every one I am not Dead nor have I forgotten about My favorite Group of loving individuals and family that I have here. I and April are doing what we can to survive and get through to the next day and she wishes everyone well and big hugs/
teana87 : (23 March 2014 - 04:48 PM) hi to all that  are on rigth now
freshstreams : (22 March 2014 - 12:04 PM) Poof!
Gennee : (18 March 2014 - 01:35 PM) Happy Birthday!
UsernameOpti... : (17 March 2014 - 06:30 PM) Hello to:  Evaxxx and sandal97...Welcome to TGG ...  A belated Welcome to:  myheartfourheart, tsjessy2, bernie, merrittjr, Kayla, Cfayton, triciamaddox2 & Berta82

Restoration planned for home of female Civil War soldier

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

Guest_Lisbeth_*

Guest_Lisbeth_*
  • Guests
Restoration planned for home of female Civil War soldier
F.N. D'ALESSIO
Associated Press

The one-room house is small and unprepossessing. With its shuttered windows and the multiple padlocks that used to be inside its door, it's secretive, too - much like the person who lived in it for some 40 years.

Now, to honor one of Illinois' most unusual Civil War veterans, plans are being made to move the 130-year-old Albert Cashier/Jennie Hodgers house back to its original site in the Livingston County village of Saunemin from a storage site in nearby Pontiac.

The house's secret was that Cashier and Hodgers were the same person.

More...

Edited by UsernameOptional, 24 May 2012 - 02:18 PM.
--- Unfortunately, this link is no longer any good

Guest_JenniferM_*

Guest_JenniferM_*
  • Guests
I wonder what would have happened if Cashier/Hodgers lived in our time, when it is socially acceptable for women to wear pants and join the army. Would she have done that, appearing to be a masculine woman, but still a woman? Or would she have been FTM?

Guest_Lisbeth_*

Guest_Lisbeth_*
  • Guests
I think it was pretty clear that he was FtoM.  It seems like from the moment he left home he lived his entire life as a man.  The incredible part to me is the way people who knew him came to the defense of his gender identity:

She became Jennie Hodgers again only when she was transferred in 1913 to the former Watertown State Hospital near East Moline and psychiatrists forced her to wear female attire.

But while she was confined at Watertown, men from her old unit rallied to her defense, convincing the federal Pension Board to rule in 1914 that she could continue to collect her pension as Pvt. Albert D.J. Cashier.

And at the insistence of Saunemin residents, that was the name she was buried under - clad in her Civil War uniform - after her death in 1915.

Annie

Annie

Senior Moderator

• Moderators
  • 2,976 posts
  • Interests:History buff. Antique recordings (pre-1930) aficionado. Almost-reformed joke writer. Gourmand.
This was historically not an isolated incident. FtMs served in every conflict this country has been involved in, right back to the French and Indian Wars. There were many in the Civil War.  In the 18th century a Scandanavian member of royalty lived openly as male, although genetically female. "She" was considered merely eccentric.

In my own neighborhood, there was a man my dad's age who we would see hanging on the corner occasionally. My father would always point out that the guy in the suit was female, and had been dressing like that since the 1920s.

Prior to the last half of the 20th Century, there was no recourse for TSs, as far as correcting the body, and even less for guys. Many of us now live in a state of in-between and that helps a great deal psychologically. But decades ago, there were no surgeries available, like mastectomies or breast augmentation. I can imagine how our predecessors suffered.

Anyone who was able to make a good life for themselves in spite of such conditions is to be admired and yes, honored.

Annie
Live Your Dreams!

Jo jo

Jo jo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 400 posts
  • Interests:I love water, swimming, scuba diving, reading, mostly non fiction, movies comedy, chick flicks and horror and anything to do with history. My favorite channel is LMN. I would love to meet other people like me to share interests and exchange stories and ideas. I just don't know how to go about finding another TG friend I am hoping maybe someone here can help.
This was a very interesting article. I knew that such happenings occured but never gave it much thought. Thanks Lisbeth for posting this.  :rolleyes:
Any kind of love is better than no love at all.

http://www.myspace.com/gapeachlover

UsernameOptional

UsernameOptional

Forum Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,635 posts
"Is it possible for a post-op to join the military? Assuming all documentation has been gender corrected. Or would they classify (rubber stamp) you as "gay" and thus reject you?" -ElenaHere

they don't have to reject a guy with the excuse that he is gay.  they will reject him for being TS.

despite the fact that no branch of the U.S. military will allow transpeople to serve, if a guy is between the ages of 18 and 26, living as male and listed with social security as male , he MUST register for the draft.  however, if he never goes into college, or applies for federal grants or loan assistance, or never applies for a federal job...it may never be discovered that he didn't register.

if a guy finds himself in a situation where he must prove whether he registered or not, or was exempt from doing so, he either must have been born before 12/31/1959 and indicate (on forms and applications that ask) that he was not required to register, or if born after that date, and had not registered before age 26, he will have to get a "status information" letter from selective services indicating why he wasn't required to register.

just FYI for those who don't know... the israeli army has FTMs on active duty.  apparently...they don't have a problem with it.

-michael

Let there be light...and blind the unenlightenable! -DML/2006

Guest_Dee_is_me63_*

Guest_Dee_is_me63_*
  • Guests
Hum,I don't know the answer to Elena's quetion but that's another thing I never understood about the military.I tried to get in when I was seventeen with my folks permission but was told I couldn't join because of medical reasons.When I turned eighteen I called them to ask if I had to register and they said I had to anyway.
Obviously,I never got in but,if they would have taken me I would have already retired from their without having any medical problems.Those problems didn't arise again until 20 years later.I guess some of us just weren't meant to serve.I probably wouldn't have made it anyway.I never liked someone trying to tell me what to do.
I find the militaries view on not allowing someone to join based on their sexual orientation or identity hypocritical to our Constitution.The governments view is hypocritical since they seem willing to pass laws againist private industries for doing it but they won't practice what they preach.Liberty & Justice for all?
Dee

Lori

Lori

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,350 posts
  • Interests:Travel, horses, scuba diving, computers
Very interesting... Here is a link to a site with more information about the life of Albert D.J. Cashier. A photograph appearing on the site is included with this post.

http://history.allia...m2/ivtxt002.cfm

Attached Files

Edited by UsernameOptional, 24 May 2012 - 02:14 PM.
-- Unfortunately, this link is no longer any good

If you want what you've never had, you've got to do what you've never done.

UsernameOptional

UsernameOptional

Forum Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,635 posts
i clikked on the link lori provided in post #10 about Albert D.J. Cashier.  once there...i clikked on link at that site that led me to an article entitled "Union Maid."

the title of the article chaffed a bit.  but i was pleased that the story referred to albert with male pronouns and the name he chose to live under for over 50 years.

the article took a sad note describing his last years during which he'd "become mentally enfeebled," and had been admitted into the Soldier's & Sailor's Home in Quincy, IL.  later, after his birth sex had been revealed, he was moved and committed to the women's ward of the Watertown State Hospital for the Insane,  where he remained until his death, and staff dressed him in female attire.  thankfully, he never knew that his birth sex had been discovered.  despite being outted, Albert D.J. Cashier was buried in his uniform, given a military funeral, and buried with full military honours.

during the attempt at tracking down heirs so that his small estate could be distributed, there were stories that albert had been dressed as a boy by his father, and later by his stepfather for reasons of convenience and safety.  this may possibly have been true, however, i find it difficult to believe that albert confided in a nurse that he'd followed a lover into the military and that before his death had asked "jennie" to promise she'd "never let another man see her in a woman's dress."

i'm more inclinded to believe that whatever stories albert told to nurses and other staff, they were skewed over time to fit the delicate sensabilities of the women of the time - many of the women were no doubt quite disgusted in "jennie's" display, as was related about his knack for pulling the rear hem of the dresses he was forced to wear, between his legs and tucking it into the front waist to fashion make-shift pants while confined in the Watertown hospital.

the article seemed to take no sides - it was written based on the few facts known about albert and jennie.  it just seems unfortunate to me that the article leaves the reader to believe that the reasons given by female interviewees is logical, accepted and good enough excuse as to why "jennie" lived the way she did.

another story, which does not document the claims of female nurses and staff, varies slightly in a few details, but at least at the end of The Little Soldier of the 95th, the writer asks why jennie became albert...and indicates, that and many other questions remain unanswered and probably will so forever

personally, and perhaps biasedly, i still believe that albert was a transman.  

-michael

Edited by UsernameOptional, 24 May 2012 - 02:17 PM.
--- Unfortunately, the links in this post are no longer any good

Let there be light...and blind the unenlightenable! -DML/2006

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users