Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Excuses for friends/co-workers?

39 posts in this topic

Posted

I shaved my legs on a whim the other day, had sort of a devil-may-care attitude at the time. Now I realized we have some shorts weather coming up. :blink: I bike a lot so I was thinking of going with that excuse for co-workers and friends and such. (Unfortunately knowing my co-workers they'll promptly ask me all about the advantages of shaving your legs for biking, and the "real" reasons have little to do with what I usually do with my bike...)

It got me to thinking... what are your favorite "excuses" for people who don't know? I'd love suggestions on the shaved legs in particular, but it sounds like a fun topic in general.

Posted

There was a time when 'excuses' and 'lies' I would like toil over to explain such things not even just the bare legs. Alot of people didn't like a certain hairstyle I had which is affectionately refered to in some circles as a 'dyke spike' which is basically long in the front, almost chin length then short razor cut in the back and 'spiked out' with pomade or hair product. I tried using the excuse that it helped 'my image' because I was in a band at that point. Then the questions came about my constant wearing of girl jeans to which I would say I cant ever find my size in guys jeans and that I was just really into the 70s and they were remeniscent of bell bottoms. The shaving legs I tried passing off that I was once a swimmer (I wasn't) and that Im trying to get back into it. One day tho I realized 'who cares?' I mean seriously, I wasn't hurting anyone, so when they'd ask about the hair, instead of an excuse Id laugh and say 'aww but I love it!' I had someone go 'OMG, are those....holy god, are you wearing GIRLS jeans?!' To which Id now just laugfh and go 'yup, why?' as I smile. As for the legs, thats a big peeve of mine, I think there shouldn't be such a social stigma to men who shave their legs. Leg hair is ugly, weird and sort of cumbersome. Most men I know who have shaved their legs before prefer it and if they dont do it regularly its due to spousal dissaproval or just laziness. However when people bring up shaved legs nowadays I DEF just laugh and say 'wow...thats awful closed minded, what if I just dont like body hair?'

Posted

A few excuses I've used were, "My girlfried likes it when I shave," and my favorite was, "I lost a bet." But really, they're my legs, and if they're staring or commenting, I don't much care. So I just say that I like it that way, and occassionally still add that my girlfriend likes it too. Even if I am my own girlfriend.

Posted

Even if I am my own girlfriend.

:lol: That's awesome. That sounds like a song in the making.

You're both right of course, this is just a self-consciousness thing I need to get past. It's just so weird to bring any of it out in the open after so many years of hiding it. Where I live, too, it's not a big deal -- Ashlee, you would not stand out here at all with the fashion sense you described. Make a good bike messenger actually. ;)

And my co-workers can be pretty unobservant anyway. Still no comments on my growing collection of Pinky St figurines, and it took them several hours to realize that I'd chopped off about 13 inches of head hair over one weekend. I wonder when/if it'll all add up in their heads.

Posted

TEN POSSIBLE LEG-SHAVING EXCUSES:

1.) It's summer-- I'm cooler this way

2.) Did you ever tear a Band-Aid off a hairy leg?

3.) I'm trying for an even tan

4.) Oh my GOD! You're RIGHT!

5.) Greek statues got no hair!

6.) It makes taping up prior to a softball game easier (How about that A-Rod?)

7.) Hmmmmm... I must be sitting too close to the TV

8) Why do you trim your nose hair?

9.) Our central air is broken

10.) My wife refuses to shave hers, sooooo.....

Annie

1 person likes this

Posted

:lol: :lol:

#2's sort of the "bike excuse" -- if anyone's ever mountain biked, fell off, and broken skin.. you know why it's bad to have hair in the way of first aid. :) Some road/racing cyclists claim it's better for aerodynamics too, but I suspect that's an excuse for their sense of aesthetics. Hairy legs and tights... meh.

I like #4 a lot. I'm gonna have to go with that.

Posted

I confess I was chicken last time I shanved my legs... I went out and bought some tracksuit bottoms... Colleagues arn't really a problem since I'm never likely to bare my legs to them but playing sport, at the gym is what I was worried about... Of course you are all right, why should it matter since they are my legs? Maybe I'm not brave neough

Posted

As for myself I am often taking a shower at work ,a locker room situation. I shave my legs evry time I shower and no one has ever said anything,and there have been many conversations when dressing/undressing. If asked I would most likely say I prefer them shaved for reasons of comfort.

Posted

I recently had my legs and chest waxed. I play hockey, even in the summer, and I take a shower afterwards. No one noticed last week and if they did no one said anything. If they do this week I will just say that I'm not hairy to begin with and finally wanted to try it and I like it. They will then ask what my wife thinks and I'll reply that she's okay with it, which she is. She knows why I really did it.

Bonnie

Posted

1.) It's summer-- I'm cooler this way

ummm... how much hair would ya have to have to use this excuse. i'd say you'd have to be bordering on being covered in...fur :lol:

3.) I'm trying for an even tan

see above

5.) Greek statues got no hair!

it would've been pretty tough to poke hair in marble

7.) Hmmmmm... I must be sitting too close to the TV

i thought sitting too close to the TV was bad for your EYES!

9.) Our central air is broken

see above (fur)

10.) My wife refuses to shave hers, sooooo.....

i'm thinking this wouldn't be the way to get her to shave HER legs.. lol

::makes his exit before @nnie returns::

Posted

hahaha i like number 4... but going along with number 2, last summer i crased pretty bad on my bike and got some serious road rash, the hairs on my leg were not happy for a long long time while that healed.....

Also, my dad shaves his arms for medical reasons, i noticed (only cause they went from really hairy to not at all) but no one care... or all understand he is constantly taping and untaping his arm, and i guess it hurt too much. He shaves the other arm so they look the same. I guess it makes sense. Arms are not legs though

Posted

I was actually considering doing my arms too... :) I'm not a very hairy person but there's enough there to be distracting while "dressing". I don't mind the hair in general really, but it seems like too much for a feminine appearance. What I really need is something to just thin it out and make it softer, hmmmmm. Oh wait, that's called hormones! Not quite ready for that :D

Posted

Back when I was still in hiding I discovered something interesting about shaving arms and legs.:

Pretty much unless you call attention to it yourself no one's going to care. And they don't WANT to know any reason that'd make them uncomfortable, so if asked you could mutter "Damn silkworms!" and shake your fist angrily and that'd probably be sufficient for 99% of the people you encounter.

Posted

hahaha I bout spit water out my nose laughing when I read 'damn silkworms' :-P

Posted

In my case, I've always had very little body hair. I can probably count my detectable leg hairs on one hand. I just hope my head isn't going to catch up before HRT.

Posted

There was a time when 'excuses' and 'lies' I would like toil over to explain such things not even just the bare legs. Alot of people didn't like a certain hairstyle I had which is affectionately refered to in some circles as a 'dyke spike' which is basically long in the front, almost chin length then short razor cut in the back and 'spiked out' with pomade or hair product. I tried using the excuse that it helped 'my image' because I was in a band at that point. Then the questions came about my constant wearing of girl jeans to which I would say I cant ever find my size in guys jeans and that I was just really into the 70s and they were remeniscent of bell bottoms. The shaving legs I tried passing off that I was once a swimmer (I wasn't) and that Im trying to get back into it. One day tho I realized 'who cares?' I mean seriously, I wasn't hurting anyone, so when they'd ask about the hair, instead of an excuse Id laugh and say 'aww but I love it!' I had someone go 'OMG, are those....holy god, are you wearing GIRLS jeans?!' To which Id now just laugfh and go 'yup, why?' as I smile. As for the legs, thats a big peeve of mine, I think there shouldn't be such a social stigma to men who shave their legs. Leg hair is ugly, weird and sort of cumbersome. Most men I know who have shaved their legs before prefer it and if they dont do it regularly its due to spousal dissaproval or just laziness. However when people bring up shaved legs nowadays I DEF just laugh and say 'wow...thats awful closed minded, what if I just dont like body hair?'

Uhh ditto. :)

I could not have said it better, or differently.

Though I've never heard my hair referred to a dyke spike... and I've had it for a number of years too lol.

Posted

I love this thread, I am always having to make up excuses for everything that I do that is more feminine. I used to tell my wife that I shaved my legs because I had some bare spots and shaving my legs made them less noticable. I have used the jeans excuse before too. I say that I wear womens jeans because I have a hard time finding mens jeans that fit me right. I am always looking for reasons to buy womens items in the place for mens items. My goal is to eventually have nothing but womens clothing so this thread should be terrific. ;) Almost all of my personal hygiene products that I use are feminine, everything from soap to deodorant. I love to wear mascarra so after Halloween it gives me the excuse that I couldn't wash it all off. I truly wish that I could wear mascarra everyday it really makes me look good. I'm looking forward to hearing more excuses that I can use. :rolleyes: Keep it up girls! :P

Posted

Well, it all turned out to be much ado about nothing. :rolleyes: My legs have been shaved for a couple of weeks now and no one's even noticed. I shaved my arms too this weekend, and again no one noticed. Or they're just not saying anything. I'm wondering what it would take for me to get any comments (not that I'm trolling for comments or something, I just find it all amusing).

Posted

Most secondary and tertiary people in your life (acquaintences and strangers) will never notice, you could even have the hair you shaved glued to your forehead and they probably wouldn't notice (or care.) As for family and close friends, I don't wanna spook you or give you worry but Im SURE they've noticed or will notice very soon. Most just don't ask because they probably don't think its any of their business. Alot of times too they avoid the question because, as many of us are inheirently femenine, people tend to assume the 'gay' thing and alot fear bringing up shaving body hair because most people DONT want to know or care about another's orientation.

I only speak from experience of course, but my friends def noticed and didnt mention anything till I was spending a weekend with friends and needed a new razor, I had a clean shaven face so when I told em what it was for they were like 'yea I noticed that...' As for my family, well, my dad takes a 2.3 second shower and I take long ones as is, not even counting time to shave. Therefore awhile back before vaca he asked 'what will you tell people about your lack of body hair?'

I just told him I think its rediculous, my issues aside, that even a straight, non -dysphoric male is considered 'taboo' to shave their legs or arms.

'Its kinda gay' was his response (not being rude, he knows about me and in turn why I do it) but I simply told him its THAT exact response and attitude which is completely unfounded and baseless that perpetuates such a 'taboo' and stigma on men shaving. I mean really, I think hair is gross, I don't know a single woman who is like 'GOD I love my men hairy!' Those that do also it tends to be more an identity thing, a reinforcement that THEY are the femenine one, the 'delicate one.' I dont know many that like men with hair cause they actually like body hair *ick*

Posted

ahhhh...excuses for clothing.

"I say that I wear womens jeans because I have a hard time finding mens jeans that fit me right." -Jo jo

i used to use the same excuse. seems i've posted that somewhere on these forums...along with these excuses:

........* women's shirts have no room in the back (it's TRUE!!)

........* the sleeves in womens shirts are not long enough

........* women's underwear is thin and not as absorbent as men's underwear - even the cotton ones

........* women's socks are thin and not as absorbent as men's thicker tube socks

........* the instep on women's boots are too tight

........* it's hard to find women's sneakers (that aren't ridiculously expensive) wide enough for my foot

........* women's coats just don't look cool

........* women's [outerwear] t-shirts aren't long enough. well, neither are the ones meant for wearing under clothing...especially women's long john shirts.

in reality...the "excuses" above are mostly true. but anymore...i make no more excuses. i just buy what i prefer to wear - none of which comes from any department but the men's department. well...except one item... :angry:

-michael

Posted

You're totally right Ashlee, about the men and body hair thing anyhow. I work in a really small office and everyone there is a pretty good friend. I think they're all just oblivious. :D We're the kind of friendly where if they noticed I'd shaved something they'd say something about it, to jokingly make fun of me if nothing else, and ask why the heck I'd want to go to all that trouble (they're all men).

But the topic of body hair and shaving came up in conversation with one of the guys (who's one of my better friends here) so I told him I shaved my legs. He's like... you mean earlier you did? So I lifted my knee up and said, no, look. And he said.. whoa, you mean just recently! I told him it's pretty cool but kind of a pain to get into and maintain. And he said, well, if I could take a pill that would make all the hair on my body fall out, head hair included, I'd probably do it! And he's a pretty hairy guy.

So, there's the answer to that one ;)

It does feel really good, and looks better too IMO (totally ignoring the other benefits of making me feel a little more feminine). I'm mainly sad that the hair grows out so fast and bristley that I'd have to take hour long showers every day to keep up with it all. It never gets very thick, but it doesn't leave me much peace either if I want the skin smooth! I've been thinking really seriously about those epilators lately...

"in reality...the "excuses" above are mostly true. but anymore...i make no more excuses. i just buy what i prefer to wear - none of which comes from any department but the men's department." -- I sure wish it was as socially easy for guys to walk into the women's section as the other way around. I swear every time I go to a store there are more women in the men's section than men!

Posted

I once knew a guy who had hairy palms-- a nearsighted fella... always bumping into things.... ;)

Annie

Posted

Heh! ;)

Re-reading Michael's comment I was reminded of a thought I had the other day... I've gotten to a point where I can't buy clothes anymore. I never really liked clothes shopping before anyway, because guy's stuff is all so boring to me. Cover me up and I'm done... but now I feel like I don't want to waste any more money or space buying guy's stuff in general. I don't think I'm anywhere near a point for that to be practical, but it really does feel like cross-dressing to me a lot of the time these days to buy more guy's stuff...

I'm foreseeing many days of threadbare clothing in my future... :D

So now I'm curious and have to ask... what do you (anyone) wear on a day to day basis that isn't quite, err, gender normative, but doesn't stand out enough to have to make a lot of excuses for? I did see the girls' jeans comments.

Has anyone ever participated in a TG clothes swap before? It seems like that could be useful and a lot of fun if you got a good mix of MtFs and FtMs!

Posted

I own a few tee shirts that arent girls but are pretty in my mind, you'll find if you look at magazines like Alternative press, there's a bagillion start up clothing stores that sell 'girly' shirts that are still catered to a male figure. Also I won like 3 female hoodies that fit just like a normal shirt would so I usually dont get much flak from that either, it all really comes down to your body type I guess. Unless you are very femenine, Id advise against women's tops if you dont wanna 'shock' people just yet cause that they WILL notice.

Posted

Heh,

I've been wearing only women's clothing for a long long time.

It's only the last few years that I 'came out' as TG and started wearing what I wanted to.

AND I shopped/shop at the same thrift stores you have available to you Ayl!

I wore the outfit below, I cropped it to get rid of my head because I don't like myself with short hair and I'm very vain....

without any of my coworkers realizing ..... and believe me, I asked them after I started wearing dresses if they had any clue, they said they thought I just dressed well.

post-3259-1184262159_thumb.jpg