Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

a few wig questions...

16 posts in this topic

Posted

I've been thinking about getting a wig lately but know almost nothing about them. I'll do some internet research to find out more. Would like to hear other's thoughts / experiences with them. I'd prefer to grow my hair long but that's not an option at my workplace.

1. does one need short / no hair to wear one? does it help?

2. aren't there other enhancements that can be worn instead of a whole wig?

3. how might face shape / features influence wig choice?

4. how might skin color influence influence wig coloration? with light olive complexion?

MIWBJ

Posted

MIWBJ those are excellent questions. I don't have any experience with wigs myself, but as a casual observer out in the world, questions 3 and 4 are paramount. I think a wig makes itself known the most when the wearer disregards the third question you ask. When it looks so unnatural with their head/face shape, alarms go off. Same with the coloring and undertones of the wig. Pay close attention to the undertones of the wig, me for instance, I love golden blond hair. I like it so much that for years I made my hair lady put golden highlights in my already light hair. It wasn't until a month ago, when she said my hair was getting too gold, we should tone it down a little. We went 'ash', and man did that make a difference. I was born with 'ash' undertones, not golden, and right away my skin looked better, way better, my eyes looked bluer. Yea I don't have the gold hair i love, but I look so much better it's ok with me. Don't get a tone that goes against what mother nature gave you. You can go lighter or darker, but stay true to your 'tone'. I've done a lot of rambling for someone who knows 'nothing' about wigs, hopefully someone else will help! -Kim

Posted

Like Kim I know nothing about wigs, but I'd have thought it was the best advise to stick as close as possible to your normal hair colouring, as this is more likely to 'sit' naturally with your complexion...

For sure some people dye their hair, but I've always thought its obvious when they do and the best aim is sure not to draw attention to anything like that

Posted

Like Kim I know nothing about wigs, but I'd have thought it was the best advise to stick as close as possible to your normal hair colouring, as this is more likely to 'sit' naturally with your complexion...

For sure some people dye their hair, but I've always thought its obvious when they do and the best aim is sure not to draw attention to anything like that

Hair systems are a (more expensive) option too but with better results. I will be looking more into them in the next few months. In-house consultations are good too, if you want hair that matches your face and skin coloration.

As far wig styles, there are a few places online that do "virtual makeup/hair" for you. I have an account at MakeoverSolutions.com, where you can upload a photo of your face and "try out" lots of wigs and TONS of actual brand names and shades of makeup. Short of doing it physically, I have found it very helpful for hair and cosmetics testing.

Human hair or a human hair / synthetic blend seem to be the better way to go. Purely synthetic wigs can sometimes look fake, the light hits them a different way... at least the longer ones. There are lots of different types of caps now too, that look like scalp through the part of the wig.

I talked to Clare at WigGoddess.com too some already, online. She's dealt with T people (has a few T friends) and seems very enthusiastic and warm even though I did not get quite as much information as I had hoped online from her. She might be able to give some good advice too.

Posted

You don't necessarily need short or no hair, although having a shaved head means you're cooler in a wig. Putting hair on top of hair is like wearing two fur coats-- it can get warm at times.

On the other hand, the most believeable wigs are those you blend into your own hairline-- using your natural hair for bangs and combing a bit over the wig's edges.

If you prefer to conceal your own hair (be it long or short), there's stretchy nylon wigcaps available.

As for partial pieces, there are all sorts of wiglets and frontpieces available. Check online companies like Paula Young for examples. (I used this one in the past because they offered a variety of "large" sizes.)

Annie

Posted

1. does one need short / no hair to wear one? does it help?

It helps to have shorter hair. I am letting my natural hair grow longer now since one of my goals is to come out 24X7 in 2008, and I find that my wig is not fitting as well as when I had shorter hair.

2. aren't there other enhancements that can be worn instead of a whole wig?

maybe, but I haven't tried those

3. how might face shape / features influence wig choice?

definitely try it on first, I have a brunette wig because it works best for me, however, I also had another trans-sexual

try a red wig on me which worked okay, blonde doesn't work for me very well.

4. how might skin color influence influence wig coloration? with light olive complexion?

indeed it might, I have found that blonde just doesn't work for me, perhaps because my natural hair is black, and

I have a darker skin color.

tgirl Bobbie Jo

Posted

I envy those male to female transsexuals whose natural hair can grow to look like a woman's hair. Unfortunately I am almost completely hair impaired. From what I have read using finasteride, as I am, will not help much in restoring my natural hair.

Therefore wearing a woman's wig to look more like a female, even at home, is a necessity for me. While I often wear feminine fashions openly at home, I have usually been self-conscious wearing a wig in front of my wife, as she expressed surprise and apparent opposition when she first came upon me wearing a wig. I feel more feminine wearing a woman's wig, so I occasionally do so, when my wife is in another room and I am wearing feminine clothing.

I especially like wearing a blonde wig, although I am especially attracted to many Asian women who have black hair.

Posted

I had a look at that website digital make over :-) its awsome here is what I came up with. :-D

post-16904-1211839793_thumb.jpg

Posted

Very nice Katie.

Is it pinned up in the back?

Bonnie

Posted

Kate,

the best thing is to go into the wig shop and try them on!! Take along a pretty scarf or something you can drape, if you go in 'guy' mode, otherwise you just look like 'a guy in a wig', so do something to take away that familiarity. I tried several and decided I needed to do my makeup and dress in order to see which was best for me. It worked out much better, and I got a wig that is flattering and versatile. Can be restyled easily for the occasion I am attending, yet looks great just quickly brushed out and casual.

I too have olive tone skin, you have to stay away from blonde!!! Honest!!! At some online stores, they list the colors as 'Cool' and 'Warm', keep to the warm ones! It's like makeup, the really neat pinks, purples and things look great on my wife since she has a cool toned complexion, but me?? Not a chance!!! I have to stay with neutral or warm toned colors to look decent.

Like I said, go into the shop to try them on!! It's scary but well worth it!

Lisa ELizabeth

Posted

Kate,

the best thing is to go into the wig shop and try them on!! Take along a pretty scarf or something you can drape, if you go in 'guy' mode, otherwise you just look like 'a guy in a wig', so do something to take away that familiarity. I tried several and decided I needed to do my makeup and dress in order to see which was best for me. It worked out much better, and I got a wig that is flattering and versatile. Can be restyled easily for the occasion I am attending, yet looks great just quickly brushed out and casual.

I too have olive tone skin, you have to stay away from blonde!!! Honest!!! At some online stores, they list the colors as 'Cool' and 'Warm', keep to the warm ones! It's like makeup, the really neat pinks, purples and things look great on my wife since she has a cool toned complexion, but me?? Not a chance!!! I have to stay with neutral or warm toned colors to look decent.

Like I said, go into the shop to try them on!! It's scary but well worth it!

Lisa ELizabeth

Thanks LisaElizabeth.

my main problem with wigs is financial. they seem to all be so expensive.

Posted

Hello!

I've been hibernating for awhile. I appreciate all of your responses and have had time to think about the hair issue. Perhaps if I were to go deeper into 24/7 femme then wig or growing hair longer would suffice. Since male mode will take up most of my time, a shorter hair cut will be required due to job. However, did run into a neighbor from down the street and she has really short hair and it looks great. I'm going to try and study what she does and look at similar on other women. I like it, it's simple, low maintenence, different and fits my circumstance better.

Kate D.

(formerly MIWBJ)

Posted

post-8622-1215393243_thumb.jpghere's me in my wig from back in Oct of 2007, although I don't wear it anymore now since my natural hair is down to my shoulders and I am out 24X7 now.

the wig I am wearing in this pic only cost 59.95, I got it from a crossdresser store.

Bobbie Jo

post-8622-1215393411_thumb.jpg

Posted

I know that cost is a major factor, especially now with rising fuel costs and everything seemingly getting outrageously expensive.

But..... (You knew there would be a but, right?).... It appears that paying a little more for a wig, that will truly flatter your face and give you a more feminine look is worth the added cost.

I have a small box in my top dresser drawer. (Thieves, take note!!)

I put my 'leftover' money in it every week, when I take my new allowance from my paycheck. Now, some weeks, it is $10, some weeks it is $0. But, if you do this every week and DON'T LOOK AT IT FOR 3 MOTHS!!!! You will be amazed how much money is in the box!!!

I usually end up with enough for a new outfit, at least. I currently have $65 in the drawer, almost enough to start considering a little shopping trip.

If I want a new wig, I know it will be September before I can buy one, but my favorite wig shop will just have to be patient!!!

Lisa Elizabeth

Posted

I'm not an expert about wigs but for me shoulder length does it. My first wig was short but I have a large neck. The quality was ok but it didn't really enhance some of my features. Color is important too. I like some of the mixed and brown shades.

Gennee

:)

Posted

Has anyone tried an androgenous wig? I mean a wig that could be used in guy or girl mode maybe with just a little bit of restyling between modes. Just an idea...I am hair impaired too.