Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Middle School Hate Crime Murder

11 posts in this topic

Posted

GPAC PRESS RELEASE:

WASHINGTON — Three days after a 14-year-old shot a classmate at E.O Green Junior High in Ventura County, California, a community mourns, a school district scrambles to review its safety policies, and eighth-grader Lawrence King has died.

Medical authorities announced Lawrence brain dead earlier this week; he was removed from life support this morning. The shooting, which has the classmate facing up to 50 years in prison, appears caused by his hostility to King's wearing high-heels, makeup, and jewelry, and his being gay.

On Tuesday, February 12, gun shots rang out near the end of a first period computer lab class full of students. Brandon McInerney, 14, who reportedly told peers that Lawrence was "having his last day," had shot his classmate in the head and back.

Read the story online at http://www.gpac.org/archive/news/index.htm...amp;msgnum=0704

Teenagers account for one-third of youth and young adults targeted in fatal assaults because of their gender identity and expression, according to a 2007 GenderPAC report

1 person likes this

Posted

I saw this the other day...:(

For all the progress being made with transgender kids being accepted in elementary school, there is still a Very Long way to go. The 14 yo who did the shooting is to be tried as an adult for premeditated murder and a hate crime. If convicted, he faces 50 years in prison. I hope he gets the strongest sentence possible, and has many years to think about what he did...

David

Posted

KTLA News

11:08 a.m. PST, December 19, 2011

LOS ANGELES (KTLA) -- An Oxnard teenager was sentenced to 21 years in state prison Monday for killing a gay classmate three years ago.

17-year-old Brandon McInerney pleaded guilty to second degree murder and voluntary manslaughter with use of weapon in the murder classmate, Larry King.

Oxnard Teen Sentenced to 21 Years in Gay Classmate Murder

I think it's pretty disgusting that this alleged boy skinhead was sentenced based on only second degree murder, when it appears that he he planned the execution style murder.

-Michael

1 person likes this

Posted

Hopefully this kind of sentence will teach others.......yes it a tough one. Yes the young man acted stupidly; now he will have to pay for his crime. However, how exactly does one pay for taking another's life???? :angry:

1 person likes this

Posted

“Brandon McInerney was sentenced to 21 years in prison for the execution-style murder of Lawrence King in a junior high school classroom in Oxnard, Calif. in 2008. The jury had deadlocked, but because McInerney is so young -- 17 now, 14 when he murdered King -- a plea deal was reached so that a new trial could be avoided. McInerney will be nearly 39 years old when he is eligible to get out of prison.” - Scottie Thomaston

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/scottie-thomaston/brandon-mcinerney-lawrence-king-murder_b_1161555.html

1 person likes this

Posted

Voluntary manslaughter is the killing of a human being in which the offender had no prior intent to kill and acted during "the heat of passion," under circumstances that would cause a reasonable person to become emotionally or mentally disturbed.

McInerney concealed a gun into the school and waited ... How can this not be premeditated? Bring this all down to the basics and leave out that King was gay and leave out any possible race issue that McInterney had white supremist ideologies and it seems to come down to McInerney's age of 14. That appears to be the reason for the lesser charge because the meaning of "voluntary manslaughter" was not adhered to. Plea bargaining may also have entered into it but the prosecution would have had to have consent from the family, which from their comments in court, was not likely.

Bonnie

1 person likes this

Posted

17yo that means he was only 14 yo when the crime was commited. How is this much hate learned at such a young age? Home? Family? Schools? Peers? Gangs. They get a good education on discrimination whenever an adult in a leadership position in a school , church or everday life displays prejudism aginst anyone for there race, religon gender idenity or anything that dosen't conform to there narrow minded values. Life is considered so cheap in our society today.

Brenda

3 people like this

Posted

In Memoriam

Remembering Larry King

CHASE STRANGIO - Staff Attorney, American Civil Liberties Union

Wednesday, February 12, 2014

"Echoing this sentiment, one of Larry’s teachers, Shirley Brown, expresses sympathy for Brandon in the film and says if put in a similar position she would also take violent action towards Larry." -- Remembering Larry King, lgbtqnation.com

Really? REALLY??? A TEACHER said this??!

I cannot begin to express how this blew me away upon reading the above quoted material.

I don't know where this Shirley Brown is now, but she should have been fired as soon as her sentiments became known, and she should never be allowed in a classroom again. I hope she doesn't have children to be passing this ignorance and bigtry on to them.

Good grief... this is a teacher! A person who plays a part in the formation of a child into an adult. A person who is supposed to be arming children against ignorance. A person who is supposed to be help protect others from people like King's murderer.

This woman, this...sorry excuse of a human being, is just as guilty as the boy who pulled the trigger and deprived the world of whatever Larry King might have had to offer had he lived.

It's almost as if the killer simply did to Larry what everyone else wanted to do.

Ahhh man...

<shaking head>

<shaking head>

1 person likes this

Posted

Some teachers are just as bigoted as the person who killed Larry King.

1 person likes this

Posted

Shirley Brown also wasn't sure if she would have also brought a gun but if not then a swift kick would definitely be in order. So if you are not going to kill a GLTB then physical assault is deserving any time any place. Yes, teach the kids that.

Bonnie

1 person likes this

Posted

Am heartbroken about two young lives lost (one death, the other in jail for a very long time).

First, I want to comment on the foster care program. This is where there is a great need for LGBTQ foster and adoptive parents. This boy had no business being fostered by Straight folks. At least he should have been fostered by LGBTQ - friendly Straight folks.

Now to comment about the teacher. This teacher apparently did not have LGBTQ sensitivity training. Being a teacher is the second most important job in the world, second only to being a parent. In answer to her "Christian" rhetoric, it states in the Bible that those in teaching and leadership positions would be held to a higher standard of behavior!

Have been a volunteer tutor and mentor. The only time I had the privilege of reaching out to a LGBTQ youth (a nine year old boy), I told him that I liked and loved him just the way he was, and that as a child of God, he was precious in God's sight (again sticking my head out in a public school, mentioning God!)

I beg all LGBTQ folks to consider becoming foster and/or adoptive parents and tutors/mentors. Every child deserves a mentor, upon request, whether they are LGBTQ or not.

School volunteers are the greatest antidote to bullying, which this tragic story emphasizes, can end in homicide more often than we realize!

2 people like this