Transgender Day of Remembrance

37 posts in this topic

Posted

Will anyone be participating in the Transgender Day of Remembrance vigils? I will be attending one at the comunity center next Thursday, Nov. 20th. It will be the third one in a row for me.

Gennee

Posted

I'm involved in organising TDOR in my city. We're trying to make it a more major even which will hopefully draw a larger audience and bring the issue to the mainstream, rather than just within our own community. We're holding it at Enterprise Square in Edmonton and poet/activist Eli Clare will be doing a reading during the ceremony. If anyone is interested they can check out the program at www.exposurefestival.ca

Posted

Keep up the great works girls...we all need to remember those fallen brothers and sisters in our communities and countries..They desirve it...Keep It Up..

Posted

I'm involved in organising TDOR in my city. We're trying to make it a more major even which will hopefully draw a larger audience and bring the issue to the mainstream, rather than just within our own community. We're holding it at Enterprise Square in Edmonton and poet/activist Eli Clare will be doing a reading during the ceremony. If anyone is interested they can check out the program at www.exposurefestival.ca

Good luck to you in your efforts, Jo'C.

Gennee

Posted

Keep up the great works girls...we all need to remember those fallen brothers and sisters in our communities and countries..They desirve it...Keep It Up..

Thanks, Stephani.

Gennee

Posted

"Will anyone be participating in the Transgender Day of Remembrance vigils?"

Yes I will, I have plans for a couple of things this week in relation to that.

Bobbie Jo

Posted

Tell us how everything went.

Gennee

Posted

Will anyone be participating in the Transgender Day of Remembrance vigils?

Gennee

I'd like to... if such a thing even existed around here. :(

I will, however, keep a candle burning... and privately remember--and pay my respects to--those who have died so senselessly, same as I do every year.

Posted

Gennee

I will, however, keep a candle burning... and privately remember--and pay my respects to--those who have died so senselessly, same as I do every year.

That will be wonderful, Shannon.

Gennee

Posted

I had been waiting for a phone call to confrim a communty meeting held at a church, followed by directions how to to get to the location area, but so far I haven't herd anything yet?

Posted

Same-Same for me.

Gennee

Posted

Your waiting around for a church to give you directions? :lol::P:lol:

I had been waiting for a phone call to confrim a communty meeting held at a church, followed by directions how to to get to the location area, but so far I haven't herd anything yet?

I'm sorry, but I couldn't resist. (It's the church thing) BAD!!! Virginia, BAD!!!

I hope that many members will come on board tomorrow to talk, give thanks and remember...

- Wipes tears from her eyes - Much Love - Virginia

Some of us have no-where else to go but here for that.

Posted

They don't have anything here either but I've been remembering and reflecting all day.

Dee

Posted

I to burned a candle in the hopes and thoughts of those that have came befor and for those to come...always together never alone..those have left us are ever presant those to come will need the strength to survive ...to us we must always be awair of that fact and give them the support and love they will need as we do now for each other...

Posted

My thoughts exactly.

I to burned a candle in the hopes and thoughts of those that have came befor and for those to come...always together never alone..those have left us are ever presant those to come will need the strength to survive ...to us we must always be awair of that fact and give them the support and love they will need as we do now for each other...

Posted

About 200 people attended Transgender Day of Remembrance ceremonies on Thursday. We marched around the block holding candles lit in honor of those who have died. Later at the community center, there were speeches and comments. People from the audience shared their experiences and what the day meant to them. A transman shared how he was still recovering from being attacked and raped two years ago.

I have ambivalent feelings about TDOR. One one hand I mourn those who have been lost to violence and suicide;on the other hand I am encouraged by the progress transgender people are making. It was mostly young people at the event, so I feel that the future is in good hands. They are open about their identity and gender expression. Safety was broached because this year there have been increased hate crimes committed against transgender people. This year, the majority of transgender people killed were between the ages of 15 and 25.

I dedicated the day in memory of Duanna Johnson, a transgender woman murdered in Tennessee three weeks ago. There was a 'Tree of Life' which symbolized what we are doing. Names of those lost were hung on the tree. I belong to two organizations and desire to do more for transgender people. We need to stay the course and be active in the struggle for equality.

Gennee

Posted

Applauds... Thank You Gennee for posting this topic.

It is the very reason for my "about attempted rape and/or violent attack" thread on the general discussion board. It is also why I stress for people to learn some type of self defense. You have allot less to fear if you are aware and prepared. Even if that means knowing when to stay put and when to run.

Please everyone, don't become another stat. at next years TDOR. - Virginia -

Posted

I just wanted to say Thank you all those who took some part in the rememberance of those who have fallen in the fight..Thank you all

Posted

The TDOR I helped organize went really well. I think we had about 100 people, which is good, considering numbers in the past have typically been between 40 and 15. This year we coupled the ceremony with a reading Eli Clare (disable trans activist and poet), which was very moving. We also made sure the ceremony was held in a public building to create greater visibility for the event. We also had some interest from the media, so I was able to raise some awareness about trans issues among the general public.

I thought the most meaningful part of the ceremony was the candle light vigil. We weren't able to light candles inside the building, and it happened to be a very breezy day. As a consequence, our candles kept blowing out as we proceeded around the block. But we were determined. When one flame was extinguished and other person would be there with there candle to give a light. It really demonstrated how fragile we are alone, but that together, supporting each other, we can survive the harshest conditions.

Posted

Right on Jo'C

Always make forward progress.

Posted

Sounds like the day was memerable, Jo'C. That's great that 100 people attended. Maybe people are beginning to understand what we're about.

I hope it's the start of something.

Gennee

:)

Posted

Even if next year it is just one more that is on our side...We can use all support we can get..Those who understand what we are doing can help spread the word and then another and another...soon the world Well one step at a time...thanks again all those who showed their support in rememberance of those that came before only to have fallen....

Posted

Yes, times are changing. Maybe it is time to take the next step and increase the momentum. Interlink and organize. Teach,support and protect each other whenever possible.

Posted

http://www.transgenderdor.org/?page_id=4

fyi

Lauren

Posted

Thanks for the website, Lauren. I will be attending a ceremony.

Gennee