Transgender Day of Remembrance

37 posts in this topic

Posted

It's always nice to get a reminder I was gona post something but you have done it nicely.. thanks

Remembering isn't always easy but life isn't in its self now is it.... Take time to remember and share its passing again with others.... :( moarn our lost and rejoice our saved... :rolleyes:

Posted

My hometown (Asheville, NC) had a remembrance ceremony.

Asheville event remembers transgender victims of violence

"The name Jorge Steven Lopez Mercado was one of 118 read aloud Friday night at Pritchard Park as part of Asheville Transgender Remembrance Weekend."

Read More: http://www.citizen-times.com/article/20091121/NEWS01/311210014/1009/NEWS01

Posted

Last night I attended a vigil for Transgender Day of Remembrance. Over one hundred people attended. We marched around the block carrying candles and glowsticks. Some people on the street asked what the event was about. There was a couple of moments of silence after we completed the procession.

There were a few speakers and a number of people from the audience spoke of their experiences. I spoke for a couple of minutes sharing my journey as a transgender person. I encouraged everyone to be who they are. Later on, a few folks thanked me for those encouraging words. I met a couple people that I remember from my days in a support meeting a couple of years back. We shared our experiences. One of the ladies is transitioning. I remember as a male crossdresser.

One of the suggestions she had for next year is to read names of those killed. It makes the name of that person more personal. It important to attend events like these for solidarity and support.

Gennee

:D

Posted

I am always prowd to know you gennee you take a great deal of time and effort in the world for helping others understand this side of it, I wanted to just say thank you.

I was unable to attend any function but in my own little space I held up a candle for those we have lost... A light of hope for those brought down in darkness, they will be missed and it is a sad fact that many aren't aloud to continue through this life bringing joy and hope to others... You all have and are missed by loved ones and those you have touched in this world..

I was unable to post the other night so here it is anyways..

Posted

Stephani, that simple act of lighting a candle in support IS a way showing your solidarity. Thank you.

Gennee

:)

Posted

Stephani, that simple act of lighting a candle in support IS a way showing your solidarity. Thank you.

Gennee

:)

I have read so many posts on the net about those that we light our candles for but I also regret the fact that so many fall in this by there own hands I try to remember them as well I may not know their names or have recognised their faces but to me that special day is for them as well, not just those we read about in posts.... It is so sad to me that the news outlets try to portray them in such a dim light that it is almost immediatly forgoten, Sad to think that any human life is so unimportant that they cant in such tradgic cercomstances put a brighter light for more to see the inhumanity in it all.

We all must keep a thought no matter what day of the year it is...

Posted

First In Nation Transgender Memorial Plaque Unveiled In West Hollywood

"West Hollywood unveiled the first Transgender Memorial Plaque in America last week during a commemoration of The Transgender Day of Remembrance at the Matthew Shephard Memorial Triangle in the Creative City."

Read More: http://www.wehonews.com/z/wehonews/archive/page.php?articleID=4165

IN REMEMBRANCE

post-1-12591555106_thumb.jpg

Posted

I think these Days of Remembrance bring the Transgender issue to the forefront in a positive light even though they are the results of such negative thoughts and actions. I also think that those who have committed suicide should also be recognized. I know that suicide is wrong and I don't agree with it but I can understand how the abuse, shame and isolation that has been thrust upon them has driven them to such hopelessness and dire decision.

Bonnie

Posted

"I also think that those who have committed suicide should also be recognized." -Bonnie

i agree whole-heartedly...'cause were it not for the abuse, forced isolation, discrimination and the shame inflicted upon transgender people, many suicides by transexuals would never occur. in my opinion, even if one commited suicide, s/he is still a victim of bigotry-fueled hatred that might as well have been an act of violence.

-michael

Posted

I agree those who do commit suicide are victims of all the things everyone else encounters,for them the mental and emotional torment of others is violence they can no longer tolerate.

Dee

Posted

I have always thought that , How can they be left out of our thoughts they struggled as we do and they were forced in a direction none of us wish to travel down they have every right to be add' to the lists , they were victoms just the same .... Saddening that so many feel that they are not deservide of our memorials of the fallen ..... Have they not fallen , have they not undergone victomisations as well .... Yes they have they simply fell victom to their own hand , Forced victomisation .... I give my vote to add those to be added .... Send it in let those voices be heard dont let their struggles be silenced , and forgoten ... if they are then they were victoms by more then a intolerant society they were victoms of humanity itself ...

Posted

I agree with you, Stephani. I mentioned at our TDOR that they should be remember them. I also suggested that their names should be read aloud at the next ceremony.

Gennee