Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Research Participants Needed (London)

1 post in this topic

Posted

Hello everyone,

I hope this is the right place for posting this. I have been looking around and I haven't seen any other specific section.

My name is Kitty, I am 27 years old and a Phd student at Goldsmiths College, London. I am looking for people who are willing to take part to my research project and wold be most grateful if you could read the following and get back to me if interested. Even if you are far away from London and still want to get in touch with me, I will be most happy to hear from you and/or receive suggestions, ideas, advise etc...

What is this project about?

My project seeks to explore issues around trans subjectivity and its negotiation with society in everyday practice and what are the conditions posed by culture in the construction of trans identity. Medical discourse and society both fail to enclose the variety of intersexual and transsexual bodies with their subjectivities simply because these are not contemplated by their systems and therefore their existence would represent a threat while, in fact, the tendency is to produce norms thus failing to enclose the many challenges of ‘doing gender’ and perpetuating the distance between ‘natural’ and ‘legitimate’ and producing selves which are not culturally represented. What is then available to transsexual individuals in terms of cultural and social legitimation and how does the scarce level of acceptance and the poor cultural response to trans issue shape up and effect trans everyday practice such as social relations, private life, work, emotions, sense of self?

Fieldwork and Ethics.

My fieldwork will take place throughout the year and will involve an initial focus group followed by semi-structured interviews. The focus group will serve as a chance to illustrate the research outlines and methodology and

discuss some key issues I wish to explore collectively. Based upon the preliminary findings emerged, my the interviews will be then structured according to the data gathered during the focus group. My research will be undertaken in accordance with common standards of good practice. All he contents will be strictly protected, not used unless explicit consent is given by those concerned.

Do you want to take part?

I am currently looking for people to take part in my research project. The aim of the project is to describe the lives of transsexual individuals, focusing especially on the relationships people have with and through their bodies. The project will include people's everyday experiences (work, social activities, personal stories), how their trans identity is manifested in the ways that they feel about their bodies and their selves, and how it affects both their public and private relationships with the world. Taking part to this research will involve participating to a focus group and interviews. The focus group will take place in January at Goldsmiths College, New Cross Gate, SE London and travel expenses zone 1 to 6 will be covered.

If you are interested please contact me by e-mailing c.nirta@gold.ac.uk. Department of Media & Communications, Goldsmiths College, London.

Thank you very much! :)