Change
VISITORS: Your access to view photos and site information is limited as a guest.
Click here to join now

Toggle shoutbox Shoutbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

vanessababiee3 : (31 July 2014 - 02:46 PM) Hi vanessa here :D
SweetestYouW... : (30 July 2014 - 03:15 AM) Just started today. I hope to hear from anyone looking for a friend or more
SweetestYouW... : (30 July 2014 - 01:34 AM) anyone in the Philly area
SweetestYouW... : (30 July 2014 - 01:34 AM) :)
JasminDemure : (29 July 2014 - 03:57 AM) Hi all
UsernameOpti... : (28 July 2014 - 04:03 PM) Happy Birthday, tsaimeesp
Gennee : (21 July 2014 - 08:46 AM) Hi Imriya.     :D
imriya : (18 July 2014 - 11:33 PM) hi all
Avalon : (16 July 2014 - 11:47 AM) :)
UsernameOpti... : (14 July 2014 - 09:31 PM) Happy Birthday, Shannon & PorshaMarie
UsernameOpti... : (12 July 2014 - 11:04 PM) Happy Birthday, Dawn13 & Brittany
UsernameOpti... : (12 July 2014 - 08:22 PM) Why does the media continue to mistakenly identify anti-TGBL haters as, "pundits?"  Doesn't calling a blithering bigot a "pundit," qualify as oxymoronic?
UsernameOpti... : (10 July 2014 - 09:16 PM) Happy Birthday, 1LynnK
Gennee : (09 July 2014 - 02:12 PM) Happy Birthday, Annie.
UsernameOpti... : (08 July 2014 - 12:29 PM) Happy Birthday, Annie
TJDavies : (05 July 2014 - 10:23 AM) Thank you ^_^  It's strange not being a teenager.
UsernameOpti... : (05 July 2014 - 08:11 AM) Hope everyone had a fun and safe 4th
UsernameOpti... : (04 July 2014 - 09:19 PM) Happy Birthday, Ty (TJDavies)
Gennee : (02 July 2014 - 06:41 PM) Hi JLynnraske.  :)
Gennee : (02 July 2014 - 06:40 PM) Hi MarshaCD.  :)

Transsexual Jesus play sparks protests

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

Lori

Lori

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,378 posts
  • Interests:Travel, horses, scuba diving, computers
Transsexual Jesus play sparks candle-lit Christian protests

"About 300 protesters held a candlelit protest outside a Glasgow theatre over the staging of a play which portrays Jesus as a transsexual."

Read the article online at http://arbroath.blog...candle.html  

.... Admin ducks and watches for lightening   :unsure:
If you want what you've never had, you've got to do what you've never done.

Shannon

Shannon

Senior Moderator

• Moderators
  • 1,018 posts
I can see where the story of Jesus' resurrection - and the story of a transsexual's transition could be metaphorically compatible themes - if one has an open enough mind to examine metaphorical themes, that is. I believe in the past even certain Christian sects have recognized, and in their own ways interpreted that compatibility too. I think it's sad that some people feel so threatened by anything that falls outside of that which is familiar to them.

Posted Image

ƃuoɹʍ llɐ ʇno əɯɐɔ ʇɐɥʇ

Guest_Takingbackashlee_*

Guest_Takingbackashlee_*
  • Guests
I'll admit, I believe for many of the die-hards, its simple bigotry, they dislike ANYTHING to references transgenderism, but, in the realistic view, I'm kinda offended myself.  Too many people push the envelope and to use the story of Jesus to put transexuals in the spotlight seems quite stupid and overbearing to me personally.  Afterall, I thought most of us just want to blend in and live our lives?  Its kinda tough when transgendered individuals and their community feel the need to involve their issues into *everything*, even religion.

Its not bigotry indefinately if one finds offense to this, is simple misrepresentation of fact, and a community out of control trying to appropriate certain literal figures that hold power in the conerservative sect of America.  I am all but sure this was done in order to spark controversy and such acts just end up comming off as annoying to the general public as well as myself.

Shannon

Shannon

Senior Moderator

• Moderators
  • 1,018 posts
I agree with you that this play was probably written in order to stir up controversy. However, as long as churches and other religious organizations continue to promote legislation that limits the rights of others - particularly those who do not even believe in the faith - religion will remain a target for parodies, as well as other types of critical social commentary - and rightly so.

While Jesus Christ might be a literal figure to those who choose to follow the Christian faith, he is simply another fictional character to myself and many other non-believing members of the general public. Personally, I don't find any artistic re-interpretation or 'appropriation' of the Jesus character to be offensive... but I do find the idea of having my rights and freedoms manipulated according to the supposed whims-and-wishes of somebody else's imaginary friend to be pretty damn disturbing.
ƃuoɹʍ llɐ ʇno əɯɐɔ ʇɐɥʇ

Guest_Takingbackashlee_*

Guest_Takingbackashlee_*
  • Guests
I agree Shannon, I mean, I find it totally wrong that some who pass can go into a church with no incident, but a non passing woman cannot without scrutiny.  However, Im a big believer of 'respect to be respected.'  Therefore, while I find it offensive to misappropriate Christ for political gains, I find it equally appauling, the acts of the Church.  However, two wrongs don't make a right.  This action, the 'well if you mock me, I mock you back' is a big reason the GLBT community is not getting anywhere.  They need to rise above, not sink below as they seem to always do.

Shannon

Shannon

Senior Moderator

• Moderators
  • 1,018 posts
The difference I see is that those writing parodies and plays are merely trying to raise awareness. On the other hand, there are churches and religious organizations that are actively lobbying to restrict the rights of others whom they feel are less worthy than themselves, so I really don't see any reason why the GLBT community should be the ones making nice to the church.
ƃuoɹʍ llɐ ʇno əɯɐɔ ʇɐɥʇ

Sieggy

Sieggy

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
  • Interests:History, cooking, fencing & armored combat, heraldry, TG affairs & politics
Depends on the intent of the play . . . was it inflammatory and provocative, or was it insightful and provocative? Was it in your face or your heart? There's a lot of the old school Tyl Eulenspiegel / Abby Hoffman agents provocateur out there who love nothing more than to tweak the nose of The Man and freaking the breeders. The problem is that freaked breeders vote on such things as constitutional amendments, reforms, etc, and the Freakees tend not to view their Freakors in a positive light . . . A lot of the Gay Pride parades are fundraising opportunities for the fundies.

Sieggy
A wolf is like a dog
But then, a dog is like a dog,
and therefore a kitten

Guest_Takingbackashlee_*

Guest_Takingbackashlee_*
  • Guests
I doubt it was intentional sieggy, but I see it done too much in the glbt community.  Cisgendered, straight individuals, Im willing to bet, do not like being referred to as breeders.'  I can understand the anger many in the community have, but thats the whole problem with the glbt community.  That's just as bad As me calling gays and lesbians 'fags and bulldykes' or calling trans women 'tranny' or 'shemales.'

Again, Im betting you meant no offense by it, but all of my closest friends, and my family are 'breeders.'  I wouldn't ever dream of calling them something like that.  Unity comes from finding common ground, not keeping score and kicking back.

UsernameOptional

UsernameOptional

Forum Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,710 posts
either i'm getting old...or i've been more sheltered than any one person should be. i might understand the latest on this conversation if i knew what "freakees," "freakors" and "freaked breeders" were. finally figured out what a "fundie" was after a considerable number of braincells went up in smoke.

and whatever "freaked breeders" are, must not be good by ashlee's reaction. i'm really not up on the "speak" of blogs, facebook, twitter, and all these other fang-dangle communication platforms that are over-ridden with abbreviations, bad spelling and teen-speak.

:huh:

Let there be light...and blind the unenlightenable! -DML/2006

Guest_LMP_*

Guest_LMP_*
  • Guests

View PostTakingbackashlee, on 08 November 2009 - 07:59 PM, said:

I'll admit, I believe for many of the die-hards, its simple bigotry, they dislike ANYTHING to references transgenderism, but, in the realistic view, I'm kinda offended myself.  Too many people push the envelope and to use the story of Jesus to put transexuals in the spotlight seems quite stupid and overbearing to me personally.  Afterall, I thought most of us just want to blend in and live our lives?  Its kinda tough when transgendered individuals and their community feel the need to involve their issues into *everything*, even religion.

I agree with you to an extent.  But on the other hand productions like this are designed to make people THINK.  This play is throwing the bible into their faces.  How?  Jesus accepted and loved EVERYONE... including lepers who were the untouchables of his day.  It can be argued that transsexual people are modern day lepers.  And instead of embracing us, as Jesus would have done, these hypocritical Christians actively discriminate against us.  As Ghandi said:

I like your Christ, I do not like your Christians. Your Christians are so unlike your Christ.

Game, set and match!

Sieggy

Sieggy

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
  • Interests:History, cooking, fencing & armored combat, heraldry, TG affairs & politics

View PostTakingbackashlee, on 23 November 2009 - 02:13 PM, said:

I doubt it was intentional sieggy, but I see it done too much in the glbt community.  Cisgendered, straight individuals, Im willing to bet, do not like being referred to as breeders.'  I can understand the anger many in the community have, but thats the whole problem with the glbt community.  That's just as bad As me calling gays and lesbians 'fags and bulldykes' or calling trans women 'tranny' or 'shemales.'

Again, Im betting you meant no offense by it, but all of my closest friends, and my family are 'breeders.'  I wouldn't ever dream of calling them something like that.  Unity comes from finding common ground, not keeping score and kicking back.
No, their words, not mine. I was using what I had heard personally and read online from the organizers and marchers of various gay parades, functions, and venues. I've worked a few as staff as well as a vendor. In most cases, the people putting them on have to keep a tight rein on their more radical elements, and when the radical elements are the organizers, it can get . . . uuuummmm . . . interesting. There's a sense of bitterness and desire to lash out that permeates many activists (on all sides, mind you - it's part of the activist pathology), and the GLB community has its own bigots like any other group.

My feeling is that the TG community has been lumped with the GLB community on the basis of outward appearance, and the TG community is being adversely affected as a result. The fundamental bases of both camps are different; gays want to be free to do what they want with who they want, TGs want to be free to be who they are. Being gay implies outlook and activity; gender implies a state of being. If someone gay is celibate, society considers him/her straight. It's the gay sex act that makes them gay. A TG who is celibate is still TG. As long as sex as an activity is conflated with gender as a condition, acceptance is going to be an uphill battle.

It doesn't help that the perception of the public is colored by the fact that they can't tell a drag queen from a crossdresser from a transvestite from a transgendered, and have no idea that there's any difference. Toss in ill-informed and sensationalistic media coverage that stirs everything into a big stewpot of Tranny, and serves it up with a side of Gay Pride Parade, the message gets totally lost.

It's sort of like the blacks & the jews on the left . . . not much in common, really, don't like each other very much, but what the hell, politics makes for strange bedfellows. Being neither, I've heard some truly ripper jokes from each regarding the other . . .
A wolf is like a dog
But then, a dog is like a dog,
and therefore a kitten

Guest_Dee_is_me63_*

Guest_Dee_is_me63_*
  • Guests
The word eunuch in the bible is believed to refer to transsexuals of the day.Some can see and understand that since the term transsexual wasn't around back then and you have others who say different things cause they can't accept that.Jesus taught love,peace,joy and compassion towards one another.It's unfortunate that some seem to want to limit it.
Dee

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users