Change
VISITORS: Your access to view photos and site information is limited as a guest.
Click here to join now

Toggle shoutbox Shoutbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

UsernameOpti... : (18 April 2014 - 08:09 PM) Hello to:  Starburst, SarahMarie, andymiles01, JuliaC, brookbird, KathrynCamfield and nicole13...Welcome to TGG
UsernameOpti... : (14 April 2014 - 02:18 PM) Hello to:  StefanieStefani, Fred, Egc382, poshgirl, SabrinaFatale, LauriePlumb, Roberta4t, Way2beme, Crystal43938, moutaz123, lindsaysayland, Dialma, Rileytroop, volcrazy40, AbigailGreen, CBorden, Sabrina, amanstarr, yoloynot, Hesmyfriend, alexandrous and vigor003...Welcome to TGG
Hesmyfriend : (12 April 2014 - 11:23 PM) Hello to everyone.
Sabrina : (12 April 2014 - 12:00 AM) hello
AbigailGreen : (10 April 2014 - 11:10 AM) Hey am new to the site, just thought i'd say hi lol
stephani : (05 April 2014 - 10:29 PM) Hello and Welcome To All The New Members.
Egc382 : (05 April 2014 - 03:03 PM) Hello everybody, I just joined. Looking forward to interacting with everyone.
Fred : (04 April 2014 - 12:57 AM) Hey guys
UsernameOpti... : (03 April 2014 - 03:24 PM) Hello to:  Raisin, missdelecia, cat, Tgirlinodessa, kml, rashu, ronny, logstud3, teana87, KatyaMarincheva, MelanieH74, krenraf, Der48735, jesretoj, steve212, oneshyguy420, sarahlambert, bugswanny, frankmc73, ilovecrossdressing, Hannah, kittyxoxo, Niki, Kimmeycd, CandyCox, litimmy45, hcurt, ucyll, Pleasegetatme, monumentalaccount, Hisprincess101010, AshtonEcstacy, GarieJeane, Deegirl, Zohan, golferfan59 and brandystone53...Welcome to TGG
Zohan : (02 April 2014 - 10:10 AM) Hello everyone
GarieJeane : (01 April 2014 - 06:45 AM) Hello everyone
AshtonEcstacy : (01 April 2014 - 02:59 AM) ello
Sarah1967 : (26 March 2014 - 03:53 PM) Hi
Gennee : (26 March 2014 - 07:25 AM) Happy birthday,Trinity and Liz. :)
steve212 : (25 March 2014 - 03:34 PM) hi everybody
stephani : (24 March 2014 - 11:21 AM) Hello Every one I am not Dead nor have I forgotten about My favorite Group of loving individuals and family that I have here. I and April are doing what we can to survive and get through to the next day and she wishes everyone well and big hugs/
teana87 : (23 March 2014 - 04:48 PM) hi to all that  are on rigth now
freshstreams : (22 March 2014 - 12:04 PM) Poof!
Gennee : (18 March 2014 - 01:35 PM) Happy Birthday!
UsernameOpti... : (17 March 2014 - 06:30 PM) Hello to:  Evaxxx and sandal97...Welcome to TGG ...  A belated Welcome to:  myheartfourheart, tsjessy2, bernie, merrittjr, Kayla, Cfayton, triciamaddox2 & Berta82

Gender Puzzle Documentary (VIDEO)

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

Shannon

Shannon

Senior Moderator

• Moderators
  • 1,018 posts

Video description: Are we on the cusp of discovering what determines gender? The old mantra - all girls have XX chromosomes and all boys have XY - is no longer reliable. Scientists are now looking beyond chromosomes to "brain sex" and the role of newly discovered genes. By studying transsexuals and people on the gender extremes, they believe they can unlock the gender puzzle. This high-quality documentary looks at the new and challenging science of gender.
ƃuoɹʍ llɐ ʇno əɯɐɔ ʇɐɥʇ

Virginia

Virginia

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 228 posts
  • Interests:The will to wake up on a daily basis
Good film, unfortunately my puter started to peter out just before the end... LOL

stephani

stephani

• Moderators
  • 1,009 posts
  • Interests:I Have to say I am flattered BY your glances But I hold nothing within other than a Little Knowledge , if this is what you seek then by all means , lets walk for a whille .
I liked the film as well and understand why the doctor would think that changing the patient into a male would be the easiest and most effective treatment option due to the ease in simply reconstuctive surgery in the future if need be , either way the patient would and is unable to procreate any how so doing so is a better idea then the reverse... I however think it should always be the patients choice not the doctors to think that because the social implications and struggles would other wise be there is ubseard the person is going to have social problems no matter what so I think the option should be Wait let the child make the choice because who better can define who we are then us .... It is nice to see that they are trying to understand but what I found a little disturbing is what one said that we can fix the problem before it goes to far along ..... Man is tempting fait here in my oppinion messing around with dna and cromasomes is simply a bad option in my oppinion.. thats the problem humanity thinks its knows better then nature and can manipulate it in our favor. ....MMMMMmmmmm head shakes and not a pleasant feeling rises to the fore front.. leave Ma nature to her busnez and she wont turn all are future species into four armed two headed beasties .....
I Have Fallen Down so much that my Knee's Have grown to use to being bent ....
Take your time to listen and I will give mine up to speak .I wish only to guide you to the place I searched for so long ago , take my hand and walk with us for our time is now , your time is approaching ...

http://www.hrc.org/

Guest_LMP_*

Guest_LMP_*
  • Guests
I use that video in my advocacy work all the time.  The only part I don't like is Kristi's doctor.  While he gets intersex people, it's well known in the community that he doesn't like transsexual people.  You have to listen very carefully to what he says in the video, but you can pick it up.

Other than that it is and excellent video.  Which reminds me... why don't we see such videos made in the USA?

edit: Here's a link for the full length video:

Shannon

Shannon

Senior Moderator

• Moderators
  • 1,018 posts

View PostLMP, on 01 April 2010 - 12:15 AM, said:

I tried the link, but all I got was a YouTube page that said: This video is private.  :(
ƃuoɹʍ llɐ ʇno əɯɐɔ ʇɐɥʇ

UsernameOptional

UsernameOptional

Forum Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,635 posts
yep...me too. clikked on LMP's link, got a page advising i had to sign in. i did so, and then was presented with "! This video is private"

in fact, shannon - if you go back up to your OP and clik the "play" button, the same message comes up now - the vid will no longer play. the message advises, "This is a private video. If you have been sent this video, please make sure you accept the sender's friend request."

bummer

Let there be light...and blind the unenlightenable! -DML/2006

Shannon

Shannon

Senior Moderator

• Moderators
  • 1,018 posts

View PostUsernameOptional, on 01 April 2010 - 08:45 AM, said:

yep...me too. clikked on LMP's link, got a page advising i had to sign in. i did so, and then was presented with "! This video is private"

in fact, shannon - if you go back up to your OP and clik the "play" button, the same message comes up now - the vid will no longer play. the message advises, "This is a private video. If you have been sent this video, please make sure you accept the sender's friend request."

bummer

Here is a new link for part 1 of the video on YouTube (I have also updated the link in the OP). You can then use the links in the sidebar to navigate to parts 2,3,4 and 5.

ƃuoɹʍ llɐ ʇno əɯɐɔ ʇɐɥʇ

Guest_LMP_*

Guest_LMP_*
  • Guests

View PostShannon, on 01 April 2010 - 03:22 AM, said:

View PostLMP, on 01 April 2010 - 12:15 AM, said:

I tried the link, but all I got was a YouTube page that said: This video is private.  :(

Maybe they changed it recently?  I'll have to try it when I get home (hospital firewall).  I've been using that link for more than 6 months without trouble.

Guest_LMP_*

Guest_LMP_*
  • Guests
I'll be damned.  The link was working as recently as a couple weeks ago.  It allowed you to watch the whole 44 minute video with one click.

Guest_LMP_*

Guest_LMP_*
  • Guests
The links to all 5 parts:

Part 1

Part 2

Part 3 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hGWbs183GN8&feature=related

Part 4 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9JEr8DUB6Rc&feature=related

Part 5 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rhFV9_33IZI

Daneela

Daneela

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 651 posts
  • Interests:Needlecraft, baking, computing, F&SF
Perhaps part of the "problems" reaching the video is that it is coyrighted.  It was produced in Australia for the Documentary Channel and is available for sale on that site (not cheap, either).

It is an interesting program, certainly.  It sums up what we here already understand.  I hope the information about the hypothalamus size helps convince the others that we are no more crazy than any other person with different brain chemistry, i.e. depression.

Dawn13

Dawn13

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 106 posts
  • Interests:I love history, Indian lore, hiking, ballet and modern dancing, sketching, visiting battlefields, doing genealogy, collecting coins, stamps, rocks and traveling all over the world.
I viewed two of the videos. Very interesting - I would love to hear more about the brain and how gender is assigned within brain functions. I believe I have issues with my own thinking, brain function, as I tend to be more female in the way I think. I will try to look at more of the links/videos. Thanks for finding this series. Best wishes. Dawn13Posted Image   My previous post on this subject.

Does anyone know if some of the series goes into the brain issues and other aspectes of being intersexed?  I will watch more of the series as I have time. I really appreciate having this kind of resource to review. Dawn13Posted Image
Dawn

Gaining insights about my real me feelings.
Looking for friends who understand - Living in Germany

amie

amie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 273 posts
  • Interests:Disney World, Classical and Older Music, Theater & Ballet, Going to the Movies, Singing,Dancing,Bicycling, Shopping, anything to do with transgender or cross dressing information and events
I was able to watch the video.

I think this video suggests that there is definately more to being a human being then the stereotypes constructed by society.  If there is a way infertile people could be help to be fertile that could be a positive thing, but I must say I don't think it is by accident that these things happen.   Most people I hear in the GLBT world talk about the message of true love and loving people for who they are.  Just because some people look and act different doesn't mean they need to be fixed.  Why does society seem to want everyone to be the same and fit into these 2 preset boxes.   I will continue to encourage all of you to be visible in society and least talk about the issues even if you are shy about getting personal about it.  I am not as social anymore since I have started transition and it shouldn't be that way.  I am starting to worry about the people in the world that will just plain hate me and possibly harm me.  

The video seems credible by its high quality and experts.  As a college graduate specializing in Video Production and media I learned how we must be careful in anything we view because propaganda has been used in many ways over the years to push a particular message.  It is easy to believe almost anything we see and hear on television if it is presented the right way.  Even as a professional I am deeply affected by the media every day.  

I am grateful that hormone therapy and sex reassignment surgery exists but I also fear it.  I am hoping to extend my life through the help of medicine but I realize that I could also shorten it if given the wrong mix of drugs.

If society publicy accepted gender variation we might be able to better diagnose the extreme cases versus those that are in between.  Life could be better for everyone if we would be taught about gender variance as a little child and that it is ok to be "yourself".   This video was well done and I would like to show people in my family to help them understand this condition.

Thanks for posting this video.

Amie

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users