Cruel And Unusual (VIDEO)

10 posts in this topic

Posted

Cruel and Unusual: Transgender Women in Prison (USA).

Documentary by Janet Baus & Dan Hunt. (2006)

IMDb:

Imagine being a woman in a men's prison. For many individuals, this is a grim reality because the U.S. prison system decides where to place inmates based on their genitalia, not their gender identity. This award-winning documentary makes an unflinching examination of transgender women in men's prisons.

PART 1:

PART 2:

PART 3:

PART 4:

PART 5:

PART 6:

PART 7:

Posted

Thank you shannon,

I watched all of the videos, I hope these links stay active for a long time. Very touching stories. This video really portrays the reality of this condition. I don't know how people can turn away from this information. Anyone who has even half of a heart should feel for these people.

Amie

Posted

OMG that made me cry.

No trans rights here in the land of freedom

Posted

These women are amazing. The strength to survive these ordeals. I only hope for the best when they are released. They deserve something good in their life.

Posted

I agree that the system has no sympathy or even empathy for these women, but to just put them in female prisons is not a cure-all either. These women still possess a male sex organ, and many also are attracted to women. This would create a dicey situation as well even if they were placed in female prisons. It'd be great if they had prisons solely for transgendered persons, and perhaps in the future they will, but as for now, I think they could keep them safe yet avoid issues by simply keeping them in the prison they are in, but segregated from the rest of the men, as to keep them from physical harm. Also, the violence in female prisons often matches or even *exceeds* that of male prisons. So to think violence is ONLY an issue when trans women are placed in male prisons is highly unfounded and incorrect. Many women would see these people as a threat, an affront to their gender identity and therefore ALSO commit acts of hate on them.

The simple fct is, this situation has no perfect answer. Seperate quarters from both men AND wome is pretty much the only way I can see this working out for the best.

Posted

I saw the documentary at a film festival a few years back. It's a good documentary that I believe every prison administrator and law maker should see.

Gennee

Posted

our prison system all around is poor at best. in my opinion (based on what i get from the variety of TV documentaries), prisons have become no more than violent holding tanks...just a place to get those who broke the law out of society for a while, and increasingly becoming the place where mentally unstable people are thrown.

there is little to no re-habilitation; non-violent prisoners are housed with violent prisoners, and forced to join the "appropriate" prison gang if for no other reason than for protection; the weaker ones are taken advantage of... the list goes on and on. even the hardest of criminals claim that most come out of prison a worse person than when they went in.

and of course, there are the repeat offenders. way too many who are returned to the system, some of whom probably did try to set their lives back on track but couldn't because they couldn't get a decent job - they continue to "pay their debt to society" even tho that was allegedly what they were in prison for. considering that unemployment is even higher for transpeople...it's possible that a good number of those who find themselves in the system once, end up going back over and over.

considering the current conditions...sadly, i don't ever see the situation for TG/TS prisoners improving until the over-all prison system is drastically changed and improved, AND society's attitude toward transpeople changes.

Posted

I agree , the prison system is simply a holding and staging area for the folly of society , it is and always will be a breading ground for violence and a means for violent offenders to hone their skills , they learn new tricks and habbits from others in prison , they have and always will take advantage of the weaker of the population whether or not that be on the inside or the oustide , is there a solution , if there was dont you think it would have been found by now , i mean there have been prisons through out man kinds history , have they helped no will they help not in my oppinion .. what to do what to do , I simple have no idea what the answer is . as for those Tgirls it saddens me to think they are thrust into general population to undergo those abuses can they ever get out and be fine sadly the answer is no , the truth is that their emotional state of mind was at best cayotic now on top of the every day issues they are going to have to cope with the abbuses of prison , what a mind F , no good answers keep them away from general population maybe a start but not a fix their will always be ways to get to them just like there always has been so still not an answer , female prison well again like its been said at times their abusses are greater then those of the male prisons . no answer their either ... Saddens me to even ponder that life ...

Posted

Cruel and Unusual: Transgender Women in Prison (USA).

Documentary by Janet Baus & Dan Hunt. (2006)

IMDb:

Imagine being a woman in a men's prison. For many individuals, this is a grim reality because the U.S. prison system decides where to place inmates based on their genitalia, not their gender identity. This award-winning documentary makes an unflinching examination of transgender women in men's prisons.

PART 1:

PART 2:

PART 3:

PART 4:

PART 5:

PART 6:

PART 7:

Gosh that was an awful realization of what goes on for transwomen who are incarcerated.

Posted

Segregation is priority. Use a separate wing or section. Who guards them is an issue. Numbers may be an issue so flying them to a central prison for TGs only is an idea. That creates a visitors issue. Which would you choose? Not having outside visitors such as family or have them but have the forced sex (rape). Secondly, the sentences are ridiculous! 25 years for robbing a bank? That is a life sentence here in Canada for murder. What? Money is as important as someone's life? Hardly. Lower the sentences. Having to plead guilty for something you didn't do because the lawyer is too stupid and the judge is too hardass. Something wrong here.

Bonnie