Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

voice issues

12 posts in this topic

Posted

So I've been having issues with my voice. I work on it constantly changing pitch resonance playing it back to myself over and over again. Even though it doesn't quite sound as I'd like it, It certainly has improved sooooooooo much lately. I know I'm my own worst critic so when I tell myself that it sounds great and very naturally female, in public it seems as if it is the one part of my image that blows outs me as being a transsexual. I really don't get it because of all things I'd assume it would be my chin or nose.... but it isn't. It's my voice.

I don't know what's wrong with me but it seems as if disclosure of my condition is not optional as everyone around me points it out anyway and asks me before I even trust them enough to have a talk about it. I'm 20 years old and most people in the trans community tell me how envious they are of my "passability" which totally blows my mind as I seem to have conversations daily denying that I am male or telling people to nose away.

Thoughts?

http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc4/hs317.snc4/41169_159725577374959_100000125544436_539758_6654175_n.jpg

Posted

Hi Rebecca! Welcome to TGG.

Voice is often a major issue but you should make it less so and just continue practicing. If you are overly stressed about it you will bring attention to yourself in the 'lack-of-confidence' way. Be confident with yourself and people will see that confidence and even if they question your voice so what, you will get it eventually. As close as your vocal chords will allow anyway.

Bonnie

Posted

rebecca i watch your videos on youtube, and first off your face is totally fine. seconed i dont see anything wrong with your voice.. like really watch the show on tv called rizzoli and isles. the dark hair woman, cant remember her name, has a really low and raspy voice yet shes beautiful and no one doubts her womanhood.

lol watch my videos on youtube. my voice is wayy worse than yours. yours sounds fine to me id trade you in a heartbeat.

jesslyn:)

http://www.youtube.com/user/Jesslyngirl87?feature=mhum

Posted

Hello Rebecca,

If you can afford you should seek a singing-master to teach you the best ways of vocalization. You can even become a good singer as a side-effect of the training. ;)

Your face is so feminine, be proud and self-confident, girl, and there'll be no problems!

Sophie

Posted

Although she has implied support, I seem to find my wife resistant to my coming out to the public. She has latest stated "your voice, especially when you use the falsetto, is so fake it's a dead giveaway" or words to that effect. So, I'm mgoing to revistis "Melanie Speaks" and try again those techniques.

I know it's more difficult for one who doesn't really WANT to acknowledge, much less accept, and even less support, transition to admit we do change. They,(especially SO's) have seen us as intimately as we've allowed, and intimately as we've allowed, and in many cases that's been as males. Still, although we are women and always have been, their perception has been otherwise and they cannot change at what they call "owr whim" to alter their perceptions. It's far more difficult to imagine us in the other gender.

This has been reflected, for me, in my public "appearances". My wife has persisted in referring to "her husband", etc. There has been confusion where I have passed before that. I've asked her, the second time, to not do that in public hearing. I'll have to see if that happens before I choose to go out without her and pay the other personal consequences.

Almost curiously, the best friend I try to share with my wife, has so fully accepted my femme that even on the phone when I didn't try a femme voice,she used MY name, is supportive. Makes me ponder what is't gonnna take.

Posted

rebecca i watch your videos on youtube, and first off your face is totally fine. seconed i dont see anything wrong with your voice.. like really watch the show on tv called rizzoli and isles. the dark hair woman, cant remember her name, has a really low and raspy voice yet shes beautiful and no one doubts her womanhood.

lol watch my videos on youtube. my voice is wayy worse than yours. yours sounds fine to me id trade you in a heartbeat.

http://www.youtube.c...87?feature=mhum

I totally watch all of your videos girl!!!

I don't really leave comments that often but i think you're beautiful and strong. <3 u!!

Posted

http://www.youtube.c...87?feature=mhum

I totally watch all of your videos girl!!!

I don't really leave comments that often but i think you're beautiful and strong. <3 u!!

hey thanks:) i think you have become so pretty in your year into hrt! im at 10 months exactly today. i started the 23rd of november. lol i already have a 10 month video on my youtube buy i counted wrong haha..

anyways i look up to you and a few other girls.. (you mite possibly know jordan) its just you two are sorta close to me in age. and your both living fulltime.. something i wish i could be doing right now.. but because of money and family issues im not able to yet.

well just keep your head up we will make it:)

Posted

I pass pretty well but my voice is the same. I can alter it to a higher pitch but it doesn't feel natural to me. I have thought about voice lessons but I don't know.

Gennee

:)

Posted

I haven't started HRT yet but have gone out several times. In many cases I've passed without question. My wife, however, hasn't stopped referring to me as her husband, not even in front of others who suddenly turn to me in shock and give me the stare. Carol says the "falsetto" voice is way to phony for her to hear. Since I go nowhere near a falsetto, I don't understand it. I don't have any recording equipment so I can't judge for myself. Ah, well, someday ..

Posted

I spent one day recording myself reading from a magazine, then I played it back. A digital high quality digital recorder is great so that you can play back right away. There is so much more you can do by practicing this way yourself. I guarantee you will be able to find something you like by doing this. You keep trying different ranges until you find which is best for you I am trying to concentrate on my over-all tone quality since many people just fall into a habit at certain ranges. What gives most male voices away is bass, and more power behind the voice and I have learned to recognize when my lower voice slips back in. What also helps me greatly is to notice how I am when I talk to my 2 year old daughter. Most people naturally use the higher range of their voice when around little children. Falsetto is definately out, that sounds unnatural I think for anyone unless it is for comedy purposes.

Everyone says hormones don't affect the voice, but this morning I woke up and sounded different as I have never heard myself before. I know that the hormones won't shrink my vocal chords but I am having a natural tendency to talk higher now and it is different then before I was on the therapy. My son who is almost 15 still jumps between his boy voice and his new adult bassy voice, he doesn't seem to be doing this purposely he's just getting used to more options.

Posted

I posted this once before. I have considered voice lessons but most people I know are used to my bass voice. My concern is coming off phony. I'm sure that voice tranining will help but at this juncture, I'm not so sure. What do you think?

Posted

Gennee ... I believe you know Annie, right? You, and Annie and I used to chat occasionally on GenderEuphoria, I believe. Anyway...if I remember correctly, Annie told me that she had a very deep voice. I have talked to Annie once, and while her voice is not as high pitched as many females, she has a nice sounding voice - and it doesn't sound phoney.

I think you might be a little older than Annie...but, I'm beginning to wonder if age really has anything to do with whether one's voice can be changed appreciably. I'm sure there are members who can offer you very good advice...and some have youtube vids that you should listen to to hear their "before and afters."

I think you won't know unless/until you test the waters.

-Michael