Change
VISITORS: Your access to view photos and site information is limited as a guest.
Click here to join now

Toggle shoutbox Shoutbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

Gennee : (21 July 2014 - 08:46 AM) Hi Imriya.     :D
imriya : (18 July 2014 - 11:33 PM) hi all
Avalon : (16 July 2014 - 11:47 AM) :)
UsernameOpti... : (14 July 2014 - 09:31 PM) Happy Birthday, Shannon & PorshaMarie
UsernameOpti... : (12 July 2014 - 11:04 PM) Happy Birthday, Dawn13 & Brittany
UsernameOpti... : (12 July 2014 - 08:22 PM) Why does the media continue to mistakenly identify anti-TGBL haters as, "pundits?"  Doesn't calling a blithering bigot a "pundit," qualify as oxymoronic?
UsernameOpti... : (10 July 2014 - 09:16 PM) Happy Birthday, 1LynnK
Gennee : (09 July 2014 - 02:12 PM) Happy Birthday, Annie.
UsernameOpti... : (08 July 2014 - 12:29 PM) Happy Birthday, Annie
TJDavies : (05 July 2014 - 10:23 AM) Thank you ^_^  It's strange not being a teenager.
UsernameOpti... : (05 July 2014 - 08:11 AM) Hope everyone had a fun and safe 4th
UsernameOpti... : (04 July 2014 - 09:19 PM) Happy Birthday, Ty (TJDavies)
Gennee : (02 July 2014 - 06:41 PM) Hi JLynnraske.  :)
Gennee : (02 July 2014 - 06:40 PM) Hi MarshaCD.  :)
MarshaCD : (01 July 2014 - 09:29 PM) Hi all! New member here!
UsernameOpti... : (01 July 2014 - 05:51 PM) Happy Canada Day to all our Canadian members!
jlynngraske : (29 June 2014 - 04:28 PM) hello
TJDavies : (28 June 2014 - 03:12 AM) I wanna go to the parade so bad this weekend.... But I have work from 12-8 lol
Gennee : (27 June 2014 - 09:24 AM) HAPPY PRIDE!    :D
UsernameOpti... : (22 June 2014 - 05:37 PM) Welcome New Members:  knottyou, TSwanda, MichelleM6053, jonny, lonelyguy89, yayabaybee, northeast58, wergel61, klaudia, KaceyR, Valkyries, AmberShock and Jamieneedsu

TG Flight Attendants - Thailand

transgender news

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

Bonnie

Bonnie

Senior Moderator

• Moderators
  • 2,094 posts
http://www.ottawasun...0/17219531.html

Thai airline recruits ladyboy flight attendants
By JUTARAT SKULPICHETRAT, REUTERS
Last Updated: February 10, 2011 2:01am

BANGKOK "A new Thai airline is hiring transsexual ladyboys as flight attendants, aiming at a unique identity to set itself apart from competitors as it sets out for the skies...

PC Air, a charter airline set to start operations on Asian routes in April, originally planned only to hire male and female flight attendants. But it changed its mind after receiving more than 100 job applications from transvestites and transsexuals..."

Read the article Thai airline recruits ladyboy flight attendants

Gennee

Gennee

• Moderators
  • 1,624 posts
  • Interests:Poetry, Writing, Reading, Running, Soccer, Transgender Issues, Christianity, documentaries, electronics, bass guitar, lighthouses, castles.
I have been following this story somewhat. I pray that the airline will be a success.

Gennee

:)

stephani

stephani

• Moderators
  • 1,009 posts
  • Interests:I Have to say I am flattered BY your glances But I hold nothing within other than a Little Knowledge , if this is what you seek then by all means , lets walk for a whille .
I Hope that it works out for the lot of them they need good employees and the employees need good jobs , good for the bunch . hope it rolls without a hitch.
I Have Fallen Down so much that my Knee's Have grown to use to being bent ....
Take your time to listen and I will give mine up to speak .I wish only to guide you to the place I searched for so long ago , take my hand and walk with us for our time is now , your time is approaching ...

http://www.hrc.org/

Lori

Lori

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,376 posts
  • Interests:Travel, horses, scuba diving, computers
"PC Air... having received over a hundred applications from transvestites and transsexuals, bosses relaxed their own requirements to take on members of ‘the third gender’. Certain conditions were laid out, though..."

Read the article (with photos): Ladyboy air hostesses: Thai airline hires transsexual stewardesses who have to 'maintain a feminine voice'
If you want what you've never had, you've got to do what you've never done.

PlagueBubonic

PlagueBubonic

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 562 posts
  • Interests:Long walks, or hiking. Shopping!!! having fun and listening to others. Learning, gardening,cooking.
    working out and being a creature of mischief!!
This is just the greatest.......I mean it sarcastically>> tell me please what you think about the report.
I like to read it.

Ladyboy Flight Attendants Take To The Skies On Thailand's PC Air (photos)
Manners & Behaviour can take you where money can't, regardless who or what you are!
The Gothic Girl Said................Peace Out .......>^.^<

Lori

Lori

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,376 posts
I took it offensively also, however, I believe in Thailand that the term "Ladyboy" is not necessarily considered derogatory. Does anyone know for sure?

There were other elements also though, that smacked of sensationalism and were offensive, like this... "A Thai airline has recruited trolley dollies that can offer that little bit extra than most female hostesses by signing up ladyboys."  

WTH!

UsernameOptional

UsernameOptional

Forum Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,705 posts
"A Thai airline has recruited trolley dollies that can offer that little bit extra than most female hostesses by signing up ladyboys."

Yeah...I wondered about that too.

Let there be light...and blind the unenlightenable! -DML/2006

Lori

Lori

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,376 posts
“Mr Chan (PC Air president) first announced PC Air’s decision in January, saying the airline’s transsexual staff will be given a “third sex name tag” while on duty.”

Read more: Transsexual Flight Attendants: Is “Third Sex” Label Appropriate?

UsernameOptional

UsernameOptional

Forum Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,705 posts
I wonder what term will identify this third sex (if it's something other than "katoey"), and why Chan thinks this is necessary.

It's pretty obvious that stereotyping is prevalent in Thailand,
"PC Air said the qualifications were the same as that required of female flight attendants, which include femininity and attractiveness.”

And...do they somehow make a distinction between transsexuals and [men] who have "changed their gender?"   It also seems obvious that they believe only male-bodied individuals are TG or TS, as is the uninformed case among many people in both the east and the west.

-Michael

Lori

Lori

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,376 posts
Thailand's PC Air launches maiden flight with transsexual attendants

"Thailand's new PC Air on Thursday took officials and journalists on its maiden flight from Bangkok to Surat Thani, 530 kilometres south, under the ministrations of four transsexuals flight attendants. The Thai airline's management prides itself on its equal-opportunity employment policy for transsexuals. (Source: www.thebeijingnews.com)"

View the photo slides: Thailand's PC Air launches maiden flight with transsexual attendants

MsBeth

MsBeth

Moderator / News Editor

• Moderators
  • 666 posts
  • Interests:Art and literature ... and so, soooo much more!
“Transsexual stewardesses accepted to work in Thailand (VIDEO)”

“Transsexuals were accepted to work as stewardesses in Thailand. By doing this the company PC Air decided to fight against the prejudices if hiring so called “third gender” people.” -News from Armenia - NEWS.am

http://news.am/eng/news/86515.html

◦ ʍǝıʌ ʇuǝɹǝɟɟıp ɐ ɯoɹɟ ǝɟıן ʇɐ ʞooן oʇ pǝǝu n sǝɯıʇǝɯos

UsernameOptional

UsernameOptional

Forum Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,705 posts
I try to have patience in the face of acceptance... but it really irritates me when a transwoman is called a "transvestite."  If it chaps my rear...I can only imagine how you ladies feel about it.

Also...while it's commendable that PC Air has hired these women...I think over-all, the culture just ain't gettin' the whole "transvestites-transsexuals-and-homosexuals-are-all-very-different-animals" thing.  <_<

-Michael

MsBeth

MsBeth

Moderator / News Editor

• Moderators
  • 666 posts
  • Interests:Art and literature ... and so, soooo much more!
“Thai "ladyboy" flight attendants take to the skies”

“Working for new charter airline PC Air, transsexual flight attendants including 22-year-old Tanyarat Jirapatpakorn made their debut on a flight from Bangkok to the southern city of Surat Thani on Thursday, serving drinks and snacks and carrying out safety demonstrations.” - Reporting by Jutarat Skulpichetrat

http://www.reuters.c...E7BF0EO20111216
◦ ʍǝıʌ ʇuǝɹǝɟɟıp ɐ ɯoɹɟ ǝɟıן ʇɐ ʞooן oʇ pǝǝu n sǝɯıʇǝɯos

Bonnie

Bonnie

Senior Moderator

• Moderators
  • 2,094 posts
It is a novelity which will be forgotten about once it becomes common place.  I couldn't tell who were female and who were TS and it would not make any difference as long as the passengers are taken care of well.  The main fact here is that transsexuals are being hired.  Incorrect labels are a bother and will hopefully be corrected in the near future.  FtM TSs will have more difficulty breaking into the field since the male to female ratio is already very low to begin with.

Bonnie

Lori

Lori

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,376 posts
Transsexual Thai air hostesses: gimmick or equality?
The Sun Daily
(March 12, 2012): Aboard flight GT210, with her crisp uniform, immaculate makeup and hair swept up, Mew looks like any other air hostess, but she's one of a handful of Thai transsexuals blazing a trail in the skies. Fledgling Thailand-based carrier PC

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: transgender news

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users