Our America with Lisa Ling

6 posts in this topic

Posted

10:00PM (Eastern time, US)

(60 minutes)

Our America with Lisa Ling

Transgender Lives

Lisa Ling explores the very private worlds of five different transgender people across America. Each is on a journey of transformation; from the sex they were born to the one they feel they really are.

Program will be airing tonite, 22 Feb 11 on "OWN," the Oprah Winfrey Network

Synopsis source

Posted

I missed it. How was the program?

Gennee

Posted

i think that some members are aware that i don't usually have too much good to say about many of these investigative/documentary-type programs. it always seems that a writer, producer, narrator or someone ends up ruining what should be an informative and sensatively produced program with some degree of something bordering on thinly disguised bias.

not so with this show. i actually enjoyed it. in addition to imparting good information, lisa ling seemed to be excited about the results of surgeries, and seemed genuinely concerned with how things would be for the 5 people (one of which was a very young child) who were high-lighted.

when i related what i thought about the show after my g/f asked me how it was, she said, "i think that's the first time you have ever said that about a show."

so yeah...it was good in my opinion. if i hear of future airings, or the video is put on the website...i'll make an update.

-michael

Posted

Is it just Me or has Opra been doing more and more shows about Trangendered people ( Not a bad thing ) I saw one just the other day were she had the first Trans supper model on and they had a disscusion ( short session ableit but a session ) it was not quite what I thought or hoped it would be But it was still not one of the worst interviews I have seen .

Opra seemed some what interested in that snarky way she has , seemed to take some interest in the whole Transgender so tell me type of thing , Yes , I think she was WAY out of line in some of the questions , but some I thought were insightful and hopefully helped some that watched , I know my wife was going to ask a question then she got her answer within about two minutes so another question I didnt have to field , wich is nice but I dont mind answering them to her , now others I suppose its the manner in which they ask that bothers me maybe the question it self but Yes I do get a little annoyed with some of the questions people ask since most of them are questions they wouldn't ask their mother , sister , daughter , or any other woman , I digress sorry . any whew I am looking forward to any more info you can supply Mike on the show I would love to watch it . Thanks for the post.

Posted

Oprah has apparently always been pretty liberal. This shouldn't surprise anyone who remembers she grew up in the southern US and later moved to Chicago. Because she's experienced several tragedies, she comes from special places. Because she's educated and intelligent, she doesn't deal only in the superficial.

She has faced the quadruple discriminations of being a successful, independent, black woman. She overcame each of them. Now, she controls her self-named network. If some other celebrity had done this, many would see it only as an ego trip. With Oprah, I believe it's about enabling herself and others who (mostly) agree with her but disagree with the mainstream to explore, to educate and support those she favors without turning to the mudslinging style against those who disagree.

Oprah has "recruited" many others, so it's not all about her. Many of the OWN programs spotlight achievements, personal stories, personal trials and tribulations. Many newspeople have worked very hard at reporting and commenting on current issues. I look forward to her continued success. It can help make all of us better people, imo.

Posted

Its true that Oprah does much good, and I agree the good she does far outweighs her lesser qualities, but in her personal life, Oprah has been noted to be fussy, a tad arrogant in her view of herself, and a lil too comfortable with the position she has at least in her personal life. I don't care for her as a person, but I will say that at least she's doing some good out there.