McDonald's Employee Films Brutal Beating of Transgender Woman

29 posts in this topic

Posted

http://www.thesmokinggun.com/buster/mcdonalds/mcdonalds-employee-filmed-brutal-beating-640128?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter&CFID=18171179&CFTOKEN=5f1cfa22325437b1-83D2D145-ECDE-3F5B-F00F110A8F50B06D

WSHH Video:

http://www.worldstarhiphop.com/videos/video.php?v=wshhiHb913Lf4TpU4q5m

Posted

"The police report identifies the victim as 22-year-old Chrissy Lee Polis, who appears identical to Christopher Lee Polis..." -thesmokinggun.com

i wonder just how necessary that comment was?? considering the website, was it intended to be funny?

this vid is disgusting. more disgusting is the fool that took the video, but the vid goes to show that it's not just men who can be vicious when it comes to TG/TS people. women aren't always the loving, empathetic, caring angels of nurturing they're made out to be.

it's dispicable that there wasn't enough decency among the entire staff on duty at the time that they couldn't have effectively broken up the fight, detained the two hellions for the cops, and tossed the budding videographer out on his head. at least he got fired, but from the sounds of a subsequent article, it was only after the restaurant caught some serious flack from the public. what about the rest of the crew though?? i guess their behavior was perfectly acceptable because they weren't videoing.

it's a shame there's no billboard in the block where this restaurant is located on which a some GLBT group could "advertise" how unsafe and TG-unfriendly this place is!

1 person likes this

Posted

"The police report identifies the victim as 22-year-old Chrissy Lee Polis, who appears identical to Christopher Lee Polis..." -thesmokinggun.com

i wonder just how necessary that comment was?? considering the website, was it intended to be funny?

this vid is disgusting. more disgusting is the fool that took the video, but the vid goes to show that it's not just men who can be vicious when it comes to TG/TS people. women aren't always the loving, empathetic, caring angels of nurturing they're made out to be.

it's dispicable that there wasn't enough decency among the entire staff on duty at the time that they couldn't have effectively broken up the fight, detained the two hellions for the cops, and tossed the budding videographer out on his head. at least he got fired, but from the sounds of a subsequent article, it was only after the restaurant caught some serious flack from the public. what about the rest of the crew though?? i guess their behavior was perfectly acceptable because they weren't videoing.

it's a shame there's no billboard in the block where this restaurant is located on which a some GLBT group could "advertise" how unsafe and TG-unfriendly this place is!

well some good news is the guy shooting the video has been fired by McDonald's and they are taking further study on more terminations of the staff that failed to help her. Also I'm pretty sure they are working on some kind of settlement even though it means nothing. What should happen is the two women that beat her should not be tried as Juvenal but adults. This is a shameful act of hate and should not be done to anyone let alone those of our TG Family. Hopefully this will wake people up to the violence we face each year, more. In my mind what makes this sting worse is the state just denied Trans gender discrimination law to pass at the very time this occurred. Though it wouldn't stop this from happening it would make sure that it doesn't make another case of a lesser charge because the victim was trans.

1 person likes this

Posted

I had this bumped up on my facebook page all day yesterday. It's a f*cking disgrace, all employees of should have immediate dismissal ALSO they should be arrested in connection with the assault. Back in the day, I used to be a racist, yes I know I was ignorant and I'm not a racist now, I'm a witch it forbids me to be, I used to have issues with black people, but now I have resolved them, hell, my ex-wife is black.

But anyway it's this type of thing what gets to me so much. I wonder how different things would have been if all involved were different colours!!!

I'm sure Jesse Jackson and god knows who else would have been standing on NBC denouncing this and calling white people racist, and saying some political crap like " We must defend our black trans-sisters " or some racially political effluent he normally spews from his mouth.

god I'm angry right now, I'm off to meditate and pray to my goddess.

Blessed Be

Melane xx

1 person likes this

Posted

I was so disturbed, I couldn't watch more than 30 seconds of it.

At first, I'd presumed the 14 year old attacker and the victim were about the same age. Since I've now read the text article, I know that's far from true. I doubt the initial comment(s) between the 3 were recorded, but I'll guess that when Chrissy passed the others' table, she heard something like, "That **** better not be thinking of using the ladies' room." Chrissy wouldn't have to have responded in any way but simply continued walking. Once the destination was clear and the "diss" was received, this was a powder keg.

I feel Chrissy did nothing wrong, necessarily. She was going to a private place to perform a private bodily function. She just wasn't given a safe option.

1 person likes this

Posted

The victim Chrissy was 22. The two that attacked her where 14 and 18 (neither of them identified yet the news was quick to name the victim and plaster it on the news that shes Trans). The fourteen year old is being tried as a Juvenal while the other is an adult and they where only given assault charges. I'm sorry but anyone beaten like that has the right to have the charges on their attackers as Attempted murder, and the employee filming should get accessory as he warned the girls to flee before the cops came and did nothing but promote it to go on and tried to become famous off of it. I'm glad he got fired and I hope no one ever hires him again.

1 person likes this

Posted

additionally: http://www.change.org/petitions/demand-that-the-employees-on-duty-at-mcdonalds-be-held-responsible-in-the-beating-of-a-trans-woman

1 person likes this

Posted

Victim, Chrissy Lee Polis, Speaks Out

Attack, Teonna Monae Brown, charged with assault

http://articles.balt...initial-charges

McDonald's Address for the protest

6421 Petrie Way Rd

Rosedale, MD 21237

410-687-5629

Edit: Repaired link, "Victim, Chrissy Lee Polis, Speaks Out

Posted

Thanks for the Link

1 person likes this

Posted

This was disgusting. I couldn't believe that none of the males there did not physically attempt to stop the attack. It did look like, I am assuming it was the manager, was verbally attempting to stop it but when that didn't work he along with a few others should have put an end to it. The two girls weren't in any hurry to leave after assaulting her the first time. So, to me, they felt they were well within their rights.

If the other employees had stopped the fight or made reasonable attempts to stop it then the videoing of this would be acceptable to me but for evidence purposes. But what it seems to me happened is that the guy ran to the washroom to see the commotion and began videoing it for entertainment purposes, the worse she was beaten the better. Fire all of them who could have stopped it.

Bonnie

1 person likes this

Posted

This is no doubt in my mind that this is a hate crime, at least McDonald's management should had locked the doors after the girls had exit outside, to prevent further bodily injury as Chrissy went into a seizure, in which I also feel that additional charges should be made against the girls for contributing injures for her to have a seizure, which is a serious, long term neurological disorder, that doesn't go away. Below this post is a petition.

http://www.change.org/petitions/demand-that-the-employees-on-duty-at-mcdonalds-be-held-responsible-in-the-beating-of-a-trans-woman

1 person likes this

Posted

WelcometoMcViolenceWherethefriendlystaffwatchesahumanbeinggetsavagelybeatenanddoesnothing.jpg

Welcome to McViolence! Where the friendly staff watches a human being get savagely beaten and does nothing

Posted

Here I thought I had posted here as well I made my comments on the sights , I was nausiated about it and still just to think about it appolze me .

Thank god for the old lady for attempting to stop this , just to bad her helping did not get the rest in the mix to help .

1 person likes this

Posted

mcdonald's might be sorry this franchise ever existed.

i wonder can a company take your franchise away from you in cases of misrepresentation or in morality cases such as this one?

1 person likes this

Posted

mcdonald's might be sorry this franchise ever existed.

i wonder can a company take your franchise away from you in cases of misrepresentation or in morality cases such as this one?

Maccy D's is a HUGE corporation, I bet you anything that there is a tiny clause kicking around there somewhere. This will damage McDonalds and I can almost hear the PR gurus scribbling their ideas down as how to do as much damage control as possible. I think a nice out of court settlement is on it's way out to this girl ( which she obviously deserves ) and secondly I can imagine a huge LGBT / Black loved up TV ad campaign going on very soon, where every colour and sexual orientation is sitting around a table enjoying a maccy d and laughing and joking with each other as if they are in an episode of different strokes or something.

I've also noticed that Jesse Jackson and Al Sharpton haven't crawled out from their desks to condemn this attack, but hey ho what do I know?

You guys in the USA will have to keep us up to date on that one to see if I was right, but I expect I will be.

1 person likes this

Posted

I watched a video of the attack and it was appalling. A middle aged woman and a male employee prevent the two women from dragging Ms. Polis into the street. As far as those people who just watched, they are condoning the attack.

Gennee

:angry:

1 person likes this

Posted

As far as those people who just watched, they are condoning the attack.

I don't agree with Gennee's last statement. You can't condem the innocent bystanders from not becomming actively involved. You can't tell if any of them are on their cell phones trying to call police for instance. There are not many in regular people in this day and age that will get themselves into someone elses business. It has been show time and time again that the person who puts him or herself into a volitile situation like this either gets heralded a hero (as in the case of the lady that did get involved) or most often gets sued by the perpertrators or the establishment. Other than being a good witness, the common person just doesnt have the STANDING to place themselves into the incident. You can't say that this attack was TG biased or even a hate crime because in the video interview of the victim that I saw, she said things that indicated that she was being treated as another any GG would in similar circumstances. Thus the severity of the criminal charges being only that of assault. And brutal as it seemed, unless it resulted in serious injury of death, the juveniles get abjucated in juvenile court and the adults go to district court as is right and proper in this country.

Of course there are a thousand other factors that could be brought into this viewpoint such as race, social economic conditions, and the type of neighboorhood the attack took place in, but I am not typing very well today since I am currently suffering form tendonites or more commonly "tennis elbow" cool.gif

Peace my friends, Chara

Posted

"You can't say that this attack was TG biased or even a hate crime because in the video interview of the victim that I saw, she said things that indicated that she was being treated as another any GG would in similar circumstances. Thus the severity of the criminal charges being only that of assault. And brutal as it seemed, unless it resulted in serious injury of death, the juveniles get abjucated in juvenile court and the adults go to district court as is right and proper in this country." -char

i noticed this too when i saw the video where chrissy polis apparently spoke for the first time to the media, but i didn't wanna stir up a hornets nest, so i had trashed a post i made about this very thing.

she never said she felt the attack was because of her being TS. or even because she is white. instead, she indicated that she felt the two women were just looking for a fight that night. in fact, the attacker that has been charged as an adult, recently had assault charges dropped in another situation. additionally, polis said the two women approached her after she came out of the restroom...and questioned her about an assumed interaction with the boyfriend of one of them - not why she was in the women's restroom. i'm thinking that was instigated by the idiot videoing the incident.

"Of course there are a thousand other factors that could be brought into this viewpoint such as race, social economic conditions, and the type of neighboorhood the attack took place in..." -char

the race thing was brought up by people who left comments on the page that danielle linked us up too, and then eventually here also. again...i have to wonder if race was a factor since even chrissy polis never indicated she felt race had anything to do with it.

while i think polis probably has every right to sue mcdonald's, i believe that the thoughts on the attack being a hate crime, whether it was transphobia, race or both, came about only after people made the attack out to be such based on the cellphone video. i think it was a natural conclusion that the attack was motivated by hate... but who better would know what actually happened other than polis and her two attackers?

and because of that first news piece in which polis spoke for the first time about the events that evening... lawyers for the assailants and the employees of that restaurant could possibly use that against polis if it means saving their client(s) from being convicted of a hate crime.

<takes a big ol' deep breath, and prepares for the firestorm>

Posted

I would comment on the details of this, but I honestly haven't been able to bring myself to watch the video yet. It's so strange that I used the ladies' restroom on Friday when I went out without incident and then I heard about this and the incident at Cosmopolitan all during this week. I looked for information about gender identity being acceptable for restroom choice in Chicago and found out that though the law protects Illinois transgender residents, many establishments do not follow the law and has led to a group requesting that Chicago establishments make it clear using a sticker that they support transgender restroom choice. So far (just over two months), they've gotten only about 12 places to agree. Even in the massive gay district, this is apparently not supported. I knew that public acceptance was pretty poor, but I had no clue just how much so. :(

Posted

A 19-year-old woman who was charged with the April 18 beating of a transgender woman inside a McDonald’s restaurant in a Baltimore suburb pleaded guilty Thursday to one count each of first-degree assault and a hate crime.

The incident drew international attention after a bystander captured the attack on video and posted it online, where it went viral.

The video shows Teonna Monae Brown and a 14-year-old female, whom authorities have not identified, repeatedly punching an kicking Chrissy Polis, 22, in the head and body while dragging her by her hair across the floor of the restaurant.

Police said the incident started when Brown got angry after seeing Polis enter the woman’s bathroom at the restaurant and began shouting derogatory remarks about Polis’ gender identity. Police and witnesses said Brown and the juvenile then started the assault.

In a statement released on Thursday, Baltimore County State’s Attorney Scott D. Shellenberger said his office will ask for a “sentence of ten years, with five years suspended, and five years to serve in jail.”

A sentencing date had not been announced as of late this week.

“On July 1, 2011, a juvenile co-defendant who participated in this crime admitted responsibility to a first-degree assault and a hate crime,” the statement says. “The juvenile was found delinquent and has been committed to a secure juvenile facility.”

Shellenberger didn’t disclose how long the juvenile would be required to stay at the juvenile facility.

The incident drew expressions of shock and outrage in the LGBT community and the community at large, both in Maryland and throughout the country. Transgender activists in Maryland have said they are hopeful that the incident would prompt the Maryland State Legislature to pass a transgender non-discrimination bill next year. The legislature deliberated over the bill earlier this year but did not pass it.

Dana Beyer, executive director of Gender Rights Maryland, a statewide transgender advocacy group, noted that the group expressed faith in the Maryland justice system and in State’s Attorney Shellenberger shortly after incident.

“We feel that faith has now been vindicated, and that justice has been obtained,” she said. “We hope this gives Ms. Polis some comfort and peace. We also trust that her experience has helped the residents of Maryland come to a deeper understanding of the problems facing the state’s transgender community, so that such incidents never happen again.”

Posted

I just hope that the two attackers will learn a valuable lesson that discrimination hurts everybody. These women who are African-American should know what discrimination is because I'm sure they may have been victims of it. They probably bought into the mantra that transpeople are less than human.

Gennee

1 person likes this

Posted

This kind of stuff has to STOP!!!!!!! :angry: I HATE VIOLENCE, but especially against one of our sisters!

I know this attack happend a while back; however, we should never forget it.

1 person likes this

Posted

Well I found the out come of the Micky D's case today.

1 person likes this

Posted

I found this massage from Ms. Christina Bruce. I thought it is nice to see how we all should come together to help stop the violence.

1 person likes this