McDonald's Employee Films Brutal Beating of Transgender Woman

29 posts in this topic

Posted

A Year Later -

Alison Knezevich, The Baltimore Sun

9:14 p.m. EDT, May 15, 2012

"Polis became an unwitting symbol of the transgender community and the struggle for transgender rights when she stepped into a Rosedale McDonald's one April evening."

Trauma still fresh for transgender beating victim (with Video)

2 people like this

Posted

You will not see JJ or AS stepping up due to the severe homophobia amongst straight black men. One of my best friends and co-worker is black and anytime a subject comes up that involves gays and transgender he litterally spits out "I can't stand faggots!"

I would sure hate to tell him i'm one of those "faggots" he hates so much!

Posted

That's horrible. It's constantly in the back of my mind that I would be placed in a situation like this...

If it were a guy, I would have no problem defending myself (I wouldn't think twice). But if it were a woman I honestly don't know what I would/could/should do. It just makes you feel so bad for the woman in this video. I hope she is okay... :angry:

Posted

The manager should have placed himself between the transwoman and her attackers, announcing, "the police have been called and are on their way!" It breaks my heart when I see people taking video of a crime or an accident without actively trying to stop it. I call that voyeurism. McDonald's and other restaurants as well as stores should address customer on customer violence and bullying in their staff training.