Female Vocabulary

18 posts in this topic

Posted

Now I looked this up on Wiki, and there was absolutely no information. apart from Manglish. So what I want to know is what words you use in you're everyday conversation. I know that "hello mate" and "how you're doing Bud" aren't exactly feminine, on the other hand "hello sweetie" is just too gay, and, well, I don't know, that's why I'm posting. I need some advice on vocabulary. I'm sure women do this naturally. Perhaps you can give me a few tips.

1 person likes this

Posted

Hmmm, I don't think its so much the actual words but more in the intonation and usage.

My former girlfriend calls everyone sweetie, my current girlfriend doesn't often use terms of endearment, but that's just her.

Many of my female friends, both GG and TS use hun and hunnie (honey) when talking which is my preference too, I even sometimes refer to my male friends as hun too, but only when they are close friends.

Notice women rarely ask "how are you doing?" is more often, "how are you feeling?", a far more open ended question that often elicits more information/gossip and can get a good conversation going ;)

Hugs hunnie!

Caroline

2 people like this

Posted

I have heard of this I haven't really looked into it though. My guess is its about following the female side of etiquette in use of language. It would be interesting if anyone knows what they mean.

Posted

I have heard of this I haven't really looked into it though. My guess is its about following the female side of etiquette in use of language. It would be interesting if anyone knows what they mean.

Hmm thats a good question.

Personally, I never use "terms of endearments" on anyone but my boyfriend and then it's only "sweetie." I never really gave it much thought.

However, I have picked up on that a lot of TG girls use the word "hun" a lot when talking to people....well...at least in chat rooms and forums. I've sorta noticed the "hun" with transgender girls wayyyy back in AOL chatroom days. I once has a cisgender girlfriend who could always tell when a guy was pretending to be a girl (not a trans but just a guy poking his nose in a lesbian chat room) by their voncular usage of "hun."

Actually, the only cisgender girls I ever seen use the word "hun" in real life are diner waitresses or maybe in terms of endearment. But in actual conversation (both in chat or in real life), Ive only seen that word attributed to the transgender community. Usually in the Male2Female arena.

Other than that word, I can't think of anything else that we as a transgender community has copyrighted lol.

I do know in reallife I use the word "like" wayyyy to much. And I also use "oh my gawd" a lot too lol.

I guess we have our own quirks.

Oh...and another transgender phrase i have noticed which has been picking up steam is "oh, YAY"

Posted

Yeah I know when I switch to a valley girl like persona at times. I find myself saying "like" and "oh my gawd."

Posted

Yeah I know when I switch to a valley girl like persona at times. I find myself saying "like" and "oh my gawd."

I do it way too much. I need to find other phrases lol

Posted

Thanks for your comments everyone. It seems we use vocabulary more to identify ourselves as members of particular cultural subgroups than male or female per se. I'm thinking like you Caroline, it's more about how I say it and body language than what I say. And that's difficult, for me anyway, as it has to sort of come from within, and I have to overcome all kinds of inhibitions ans learned behaviors. Your "How are you feeling?" comment was interesting, sort of reflecting an inner mental attitude.

Anyway this is all getting a bit heavy isn't it, it's giving me quite a headache. So take care sweeties, hugs and kisses, Hotlips (I'm trying to be ironic, probably failing miserably).

Posted

Actually, I see it's covered anyway under the pinned topic, Develop a Female Voice, in Melanie Anne Phillips article "Transgender Voice Training: How to Develop a Female Voice". So my post was rather redundant. Sorry.

Posted

If we were all worried about being redundant my Dear then there would never be another post simply archived stuff (LOL)

so feel free any time you have a question ask it if it has been asked then you might get some snippy post in reply from some one that is having a bad day , but the general here is ask and ye shall eventually recieve , Might not be what you were after but you will get something (hee hee) , ok a bit tired and getting punchy so , to answer the question

I live in Missouri and run around in the southern states alot so , Hun , Sugar , My dear , Sweetheart , are all prattled out from all sides , I use Sweetheart myself , Hun is at times used but very seldom unless I am in a resturant then Hun it is . Way to many years in that biznez ( :lol: ) Oh and of course one of my all time used My Dear ... I know makes me sound old But hey I am .. LOL

Take care hope you get some good help from all this and yeah its how you say what you say that matters not what you say to whom you say it to ...

Hugs

Steph

Posted

I've been keeping a mental note of the "terms of endearment" that I have received in email, text and of course verbally over the last week, all from CISwomen...

Beautiful (blush)

Sweet (x2)

Hun (x3)

Babe

Honey (x4)

Lover

Sexy Hussey (tee he he)

Gorgeous

Darling

So there you go - nothing scientific but it was fun keeping tabs :)

Hugs

Caroline

Posted

:lol: Ok , talked long with my wife about verbage and such and who and when , the jest of it , isnt a genetic thing or a transitional thing it is simply those everyday terms to show our utmost appreciation for the fact that some one was kind and responsive , if they are not then notice we dont use such terms simply a less endearing statement .

nice = Thank You so very much my dear , I hope you have a great day Hun , you take care now sweetheart .

not so nice = Thank you , have a good day.

see how the same statement can be pervaid to some one no matter their gender . I use them alot and by every account any genetic person does as well

if your nice you get nice , if your not nice , then I will barely put forth an effort for you as the same goes for everyone I have encountered through out the country and also in the Canadian providences for that fact ( well except for Onterio and they simply have bad attitudes for Americans no matter how polite one is . LOL ).

Ok enough of this onward to another post .... :lol:

Posted

I tend to use the phrase "darling" if I'm close to someone.

1 person likes this

Posted

I spoke with my doctor about this very topic and she pointed out that men tend be clipped in there responses without much intonation but women on the other hand begin each sentence/statement with their voice at one level but will always end in a slightly higher tone , I have paid attention to this and found it to be quite true . I hope this helps .

1 person likes this

Posted

I think I'll try do a bit of research this week and see what terms female friends use over the next week.

One of my closes GG friends uses Hun quite a bit both in online conversations and face-to-face.

It is interesting the variations in how people do talk to people. The first time I was really aware of it was when I was a teenager and we'd gone to visit my Gran where she lived in the back of beyond in Wales. We met someone that my Dad knew and the initial greeting used the phrase "How be?" Short and sweet.

I tend to use questions like "You OK?" and "How's you?" when talking to people at work. Will have to pay more attention to how the women greet people. I've definitely noticed that one of the women tends to smile a lot, especially when we see each other.

1 person likes this

Posted

Jenna welcome , and have fun with it your going to find out alot and find out nothing , the truth is that woman do smile alot thats because they like the other woman to accept her for that moment while she asseses her , then the tide will turn if she is threatened with a suppirior woman , LOL so much to learn your gona take about a year to figure out the basics incorporate and be proficient , then the hidden aspects is going to take a little longer but you'll get it , after HRT has been going for a while , it helps hone your womanly tallents of observation and deduction , not to mention grow a thick skin for the tough times .... Hugs and take care hun stephani

1 person likes this

Posted

Go to a busy salon for a perm or hair color, you'll be in there long enough to hear everything.\

There are nice women and rough women. If you want the most acceptable recognized female than you want to be exceptionally nice and by all means become a great listener. Ask questions that another person is dying to answer and talk about. Give Compliments gently and really care about the other person. For many years there were basically women nurses. This is because socially women were raised to be good caregivers and nurturers. You must think with care and concern and sincerity if you want to tap into this circle. You do not have to be caddy or cause gossip to be accepted. Being nice will get you further. And put a permanent end to responding with a loud voice or swearing. I have heard plenty of women use the F word but I think they get it from their relationships with men. I am very happy among women who are classic in their everyday language. and yes I have heard Hun or Honey, Dear, and girl, way to go girl, that's so nice, you are beautiful, show emotion, allow emotion, don't be afraid to cry. What more can I say. It is quite easy if you start hanging around women instead of men and if you are presenting as female then over time you will really hear the difference as the women open up even more to real women. Women are not necessarily as sweet as you may think once they know a man is not in the room. It all depends.

I wish the best for you and your future.

Amie

Posted

:lol: Ok , talked long with my wife about verbage and such and who and when , the jest of it , isnt a genetic thing or a transitional thing it is simply those everyday terms to show our utmost appreciation for the fact that some one was kind and responsive , if they are not then notice we dont use such terms simply a less endearing statement .

nice = Thank You so very much my dear , I hope you have a great day Hun , you take care now sweetheart .

not so nice = Thank you , have a good day.

see how the same statement can be pervaid to some one no matter their gender . I use them alot and by every account any genetic person does as well

if your nice you get nice , if your not nice , then I will barely put forth an effort for you as the same goes for everyone I have encountered through out the country and also in the Canadian providences for that fact ( well except for Onterio and they simply have bad attitudes for Americans no matter how polite one is . LOL ).

Ok enough of this onward to another post .... :lol:

Even though this was a lil’ while ago, I had to respond here Stephani, :) I am a Canadian Girl and from the province Ontario no less. Some Canadians have opinions of the United States and its people as do some Americans have opinions of Canada. Oddly enough the root of it is likely Television programming and the completely stereotypical portrayal of Canada and its people. “Aye” for example, yikes, lol.

As for female vocabulary, I have been interacting as a woman for a while now and agree with much of what’s been said so for in this post. It’s not just the words we use, it’s how we speak them. We, as women tend to elaborate more in most of our everyday conversations (often even getting sidetracked, one I am guilty for a lot, even when I write, :) ). Swearing and dropping “F” bombs is very rough and unnatural sounding from a women (yes I am guilty from time to time, but I never like the way it sounded afterward). While many women (and men) do not use their manners, I find it to be very nice and well received by most. Modern times seem to have given way to the use of manners (at least in the larger cities), I find it to be very “ladylike” :)

Don’t be afraid to show excitement as well as shed a tear, Women are emotional beings. We smile, we laugh and we cry … our pitch changes within a single word and we looooove to talk. Topic can change quickly and revert back in one sentence … our bottoms may wiggle or we might even dance a little if a great song happens to come on in the background somewhere (you may wanna stick with a slight hip sway if you’re at work or in the elevator, lol).

Women are women in every word, phrase and in every pitch and tone of voice we use. It’s in the posture of how to sit and stand (sit straight, shoulders back, elbows in and stand with your feet usually together maybe with one knee slightly bent, that way one hip shows more curve). Try to be happy and talk with your chin up … enjoy yourself. Confidence will come, it just takes time. Sing in the car … even if a male singer is blaring out of the speakers sing it as a woman would!

I used to practice all the time, trying to eliminate the “boy” voice/mannerisms before I began fulltime. The 1st time I got called “she and her” , I was out (I thought) in boy mode. My hair was a lil’ long but I was wearing a baseball hat with my hair tucked behind my ears, a sweatshirt and blue jeans. I was buying a ladies fall jacket and had to ask about the sizes (my size was not marked at the reduced price but there was a small that was). So anyways, the clerk called the Manager down. I explained the price/sizes and he told the clerk “If she has the same jacket but different size giver her the lower price”. I went numb …Vocabulary will help but matched with posture and expression, manners and pitch of voice will be the key.

That’s my thoughts on the subject girls :) hope there’s some tips in it for ya!

Hugs

Beth

Posted

I find, as I get deeper and deeper into my female persona, that I'm starting to have a regard for the feelings, thoughts, and happiness of other people as individuals. This is totally foreign to me as a male. My view was always very objective, now it's becoming subjective. Before I was always interested in the general good but now I want to know how you, as a particular individual person, feel. What I mean is I'm genuinely interested. It's all rather weird actually. And I'm starting to accept my emotions. Before I would suppress them. Now I let them flow. As I said, very, very weird. I think language reflects this change in mental attitude. HL.

1 person likes this