Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

San Francisco Pride

4 posts in this topic

Posted

San Francisco Pride 2011

My partner and I attended the 41st annual San Francisco pride events this past weekend (6/25 and 6/26/11). I've never seen such huge crowds of people in my life! Estimates seem to vary regarding attendance with 500,000 on the low end to over 1,000,000 on the higher end. I would guess the higher end is perhaps more accurate. There are LGBT Pride parties all over the city including a transgender party and parade that was held on 6/24/11. Throughout the weekend, there are breakout parties all over the city, culminating in the Pride Parade on Sunday. Afterward, there is a huge celebration at the Civic Center. Although the crowds are enormous, the events are well planned and the atmosphere is very fun. The people are among the most friendly I've encountered anywhere.

Among the 2011 San Francisco Pride Grand Marshals are LGBT activist Chaz Bono, along with actress Olympia Dukakis, Top Chef star Yigit Pura and Bishop Yvette Flunder. Victoria Kolakowski (openly transgender trial judge in Alameda, California) was an individual community grand marshal. I was truly impressed with the inclusion of the transgender community in this Pride event. There were many transgender persons in attendance at all events I attended. Transgender was virtually always mentioned in programs and publications and there were transgender performers on stage. We've come a long way!

The gay marriage victory in New York helped fuel the positive atmosphere. California's same-sex marriage legislation is currently held up in the 9th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals, but, in New York, same sex couples can begin marrying, almost immediately. New York has accomplished what California got started. There is a sense in the San Francisco gay community that this will turn around on the west coast as well.

More info at http://www.sfpride.org/ and http://www.transmarch.org/

post-1-130938390781_thumb.jpg post-1-130938392001_thumb.jpg

Posted

What a nice trip, Lori... sounds like you all had a lot of fun. It's especially heartening to learn that transpeople were so well included and represented in the festivities and activities.

-Michael

Posted

I am glad to hear you had a great trip, Lori. I went to the beginning part of the Toronto Pride week last weekend but all the parades are this coming weekend. I had a great time myself.

I am also impressed at how many people are attending these events. Wow! Around a million people in San Fran. It does say something about society on the whole in a positive light.

The Mayors of Toronto have been attending the Pride Parade and some events each of the past years, however, this new Mayor refuses to participate in this one and I am sure for as long as he is in office. He apparantly disagrees with homosexuality. You don't have to agree with it to accept it.

Bonnie

Posted

Very happy you had a wonderful time. It was great that same sex marriage was passed here in New York. It was sad that equality for transpersons (GENDA)wasn't. San Francisc must do it quite well. I'll need to get out there some time.

Gennee

:D