Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

AARP Pride Page

5 posts in this topic

Posted

I was pleasantly surprised to learn that AARP has a special section on their website devoted to their gay, lesbian, bisexual and transgender members. It is called the AARP Prism Network, for advocacy of GLBT issues. Their intro reads,

"Welcome to AARP's online home for the lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender (LGBT) community. This page is designed to spotlight articles on news, personal finance, relationships, travel and other topics of concern to older gay Americans, and their family and friends. It also provides information about AARP’s positions and advocacy efforts in this arena."

For more information go to http://aarp.org/pride

AARP was formerly known as the American Association of Retired Persons, but it is now simply known as AARP and has become more focused on elder issues. AARP invites members age 50 and older. You may have seen Betty White's ads recently urging us to "get over it" and join AARP even if we aren't retired.

3 people like this

Posted

This is pretty cool. AARP started bugging me at around 48 to join - I guess they called themselves getting me prepared for 50... :lol:

Anyway, I guess now I have two reason to join AARP. Three actually - despite the fact that AARP is now open to persons not yet retired, I fit that requirement, too. Hee-hee.

-Michael

1 person likes this

Posted

Thanks for the info. I'm a member of AARP.

Gennee

:)

1 person likes this

Posted

I've been an AARP member for nearly 12 years and didn't know about this. THANKS!

2 people like this

Posted

My wife and I have been members for several years. I hadn't know about Prism until you told us. I'm definitely going to look into it.

1 person likes this