Transgender person shot in D.C.; 3rd such attack this summer

8 posts in this topic

Posted

By Maggie Fazeli Fard

Police are investigating the shooting of a transgender person early Monday morning in Southeast D.C.

The shooting took place just before 2 a.m. in the 2300 block of Savannah Street SE, police said. The attack appears to be non-fatal; the victim was conscious when transported to the hospital.

This is the third reported shooting of a transgender person in the District this summer, officials said.

The two earlier attacks — one of which was fatal — occurred one block and 11 days apart in Northeast Washington.

On July 20, 23-year-old Myles Mclean was shot about 4:30 a.m. in the 6110 block of Dix Street. Police said two men approached Mclean and one asked a question. Then, before waiting for an answer, one of the men pulled out a semiautomatic handgun and opened fire. Mclean, who was also known by friends as Lashay, was killed.

On July 31, at about 2:45 a.m., a man approached a transgender person in the same neighborhood, asked for change and pulled a semiautomatic handgun without waiting for a response.

The man shot the gun, but missed the victim, police said. That attack was in the 6200 block of Dix Street NE. Police said they were investigating the shootings as a “potential emerging pattern.”

Transgender rights have been in the spotlight in the region since April, when a 22-year-old transgender woman was brutally attacked at a suburban Baltimore McDonald’s.

It is unknown whether Monday’s shooting is related to the earlier shootings...

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/crime-scene/post/transgender-person-shot-in-dc-3rd-such-attack-this-summer/2011/09/12/gIQA5viUMK_blog.html

Posted

This seems to be an ongoing thing in DC.

It is sad to see hatred of this type.

It seems to me that people are always looking for an outlet for hate. It seems that right now, we are the most socially acceptable targets.

We should strive to change this. It can be done. In the past the main target was persons of color. That problem has not gone away, but the differance between opinions in 1950 and 2011 is pretty extreme. Most of the racists I know have some black friends. The gay community at large has made some progress on this, but have not come nearly so far. I believe TG persons are probably at the bottom of the list.

Posted

It seems to me to also be related to prostitution. Prostitutes no matter whether they are female, male or transgender are targets for violence. The 'moral' society doesn't care about them even though there is a need for them. Prostitution has been around forever but it is still illegal and so the workers are left without protection or are forced into unsafe situations.

Bonnie

Posted

IF this happens to be one individual committing these crimes, I have no doubt there is a small portion of the community hailing his activity because it involves elements that, as Bonnie said, "the 'moral' society doesn't care about..." They are probably prostitutes - strike one. They are transexual - strike two.

I have read posts where people questioned why the victims were out [in that particular area] in the wee hours of the morning. No one has asked why the perpetrator was there during the same time. Some religious-fanatic-gone-vigilante with an agenda perhaps??

Posted

UPDATE:

Police: Man charged in D.C. transgender shooting

By Jeremy Borden

A 20-year-old man has been charged with attacking a transgender woman in the District early Monday morning, according to police.

Police have charged Darryl Willard, of Northeast, with assault with intent to kill while armed. He surrendered to police Tuesday morning, according to a press release.

The victim knew her attacker, according to the police statement. After she was shot in the 2300 block of Savannah Street SE around 1:50 a.m., according to police, the woman walked into the Seventh District Police Headquarters to report the crime and was taken to the hospital. She is expected to survive the attack...

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/crime-scene/post/police-man-charged-in-dc-transgender-shooting/2011/09/13/gIQA4VIkPK_blog.html

Posted

YESSSSSSSSSS!!

Posted

That is so awesome.

I hope he was the one responsible for all of the attacks and this will end

Posted

DC has had its share of attacks of trans people over the years. I've been to DC and there are some really rough areas. I've never been there as a trans person (visited in 1987 and 1989) but I am wary of certain place here in New York City.