dress size

12 posts in this topic

Posted

I would like to know how to determine your dress size. I hate buying clothes that dont fit.There is no trying it on. Thank you,sandra

1 person likes this

Posted

Hi Sandra,

There are a few ways. For me, I tried on one of my wife's dresses, a skirt and a blouse. That gave me my sizes. A suggestion I have read before is to go to a thrift store and pick out a few male clothes and some female clothes, place the male clothes on top of the female ones and go to the fitting rooms. If you still fear trying them on then buy a dress, a skirt and/or a blouse and try them on at home. If it or they don't fit redonate them back to the thrift store. It didn't cost much so you don't lose much. Now you have a better idea, too big, too small or just right. Sizing charts in a catalogue can help you estimate. I have been to a women's store for plus sizes and just told the sales clerk that I crossdress and could she approximate my sizes. She was very helpful. When the store has just opened or near closing time are best and they will often let you use the fitting room. Hallowe'en is a great time to find out too. Just tell the clerk you are going to a party as a woman and could she help you. That is how I bought my first pair of heels.

I hope this helps.

Bonnie

2 people like this

Posted

I agree with thrift stores...Always worked for me ;)

1 person likes this

Posted

Oh there’s a wondrous topic ... “Female clothing size” , so not funny. Women’s clothing sizing is an injustice to any girl, no matter what her gender marker says. Manufacturers have fun with this I think, there is no true sizing for women, for men if you’re size 30 waist then all stores and brands size 30 fits, for women you could be 4 different sizes on clothing labels.

I completely understand that it takes much courage at 1st even to be in the women’s section let alone buy the cloths and trying them on! Yikes! I used to shop around holidays and pretend the stuff was gifts for others (sister, mother, doesn’t matter it’s for you). After buying useless items enough times I just got really good at eyeballing sizes when holding em’ up at the seams, waist and shoulders. If a salesperson asked, then came the gift story.

Beth

1 person likes this

Posted

I would like to know how to determine your dress size. I hate buying clothes that dont fit.There is no trying it on. Thank you,sandra

If you view any clothing site on the internet most likely the site will have a size chart. Mark down your breast size at the nipples, if wearing silicon inserts take the measurement wearing them in your bra. Then waist and hip measurements. Not all women's clothing is exact so expect a little variance in sizing.

1 person likes this

Posted

Ms.Sandra With all the great ideas here in this thread you should be able to get the perfect fit! ;)

Just don't lose your patience with finding it.

1 person likes this

Posted

This was posted on my forum, i'll share it here . Now mind you , it really only works with skirts and pants . Have a small rope and tie it around you're waist ABOVE the navel. I say this as unless you want something like a "Low rider , wear it properly.

Now , take the rope . Tie it snugly and MARK IT ACCORDINGLY around the waist .

Keep the rope with you in you're purse as you can use it to measure a potential skirt in a store . This is especially true in Thrift stores where the tags are removed . Stretch the rope at the waist . If the skirt is shy of the rope , it's too small and vice virsa .

Remember too , the BETTER the manufacturer , the more material isin a given garment . For example , Talbots , Sag Harbor are far more likely to be a smaller size on you than say a George from a Wal Mart .

Still, I have seen where this rule isn't set in stone . REAL women TRY ON EVERYTHING ! I know , I do too ............

4 people like this

Posted

We do try on everything! We have to!

In addition, I was just chatting with Michael and thought of this topic, if you're on or planning to start HRT your sizes are going to change A LOT, so don't buy too much ... I ended up donating soooo much cloths ... awesome cloths, I could cry.

Beth

2 people like this

Posted

Don't cry Ms.Beth, I've lost so much weight so fast I had to give up my favorite bell bottoms....T.T..... :unsure: I feel your pain.

1 person likes this

Posted

I know I am late to this but I have always been able to try on the cloths in the store. The girls are always helpful and make me model for them to ensure how it looks and fits.

1 person likes this

Posted

It's never too late to add your experiences to a thread. What you have to contribute could be helpful to someone else.

-Michael

2 people like this

Posted

Secondhand stores with dressing rooms, main stores etc...depending on the brand i can wear a size 0 -2 in petites up to a 4 ,,, some brands 7/8  dress size,,, but has always been easy for me to find female clothing that fits vs mens  always too big or to short or fat sized  ...shoes never found mens shoes that fit always womens that did ,,only size i have that are mens are my old Army boots sized 6.5 and honestly i am not even sure what my shoe size is for mens shoes have not worn any in about 20 years +/- 5 years , best to take your measurments and check against the stores size chart if online shopping if still not sure order one size up and one down return the one that does not fit ....i have always tried stuff on at stores  never had any issues and most sales people are willing to help you

1 person likes this