Transgender Day of Remembrance 2011

14 posts in this topic

Posted

The Transgender Day of Remembrance was set aside to memorialize those who were killed due to anti-transgender hatred or prejudice. The event is held in November to honor Rita Hester, whose murder on November 28th, 1998 kicked off the “Remembering Our Dead” web project and a San Francisco candlelight vigil in 1999. Rita Hester’s murder — like most anti-transgender murder cases — has yet to be solved.

Transgender Day of Remembrance 2011 Events List

Posted

I will be attending TDOR on the 18th at the community center. I may speak at the event.

Posted

That's awesome Gennee! We'd love to hear about it. Best of luck with this worthwhile event to honor those we have lost.

Hugs,

Lori

I will be attending TDOR on the 18th at the community center. I may speak at the event.

Posted

always proud of you gennee , thanks again lori for the posting of the locations , i knew it was coming up again and thought the 20th yet some are having on the 18th,19th , ok guess they felt they couldn't schedual it to land with every one else, of course it still really needs to be a candle light on the 28th , which I do any ways some day i hope they find the killer(S) , such a sad section of year in my opinion , so many are lost , and so many alone , it really makes for a lot of stress for so many , my best for everyone and remember the loss , for the world forgets so quickly of those WE , morn ..

Posted

That's awesome Gennee! We'd love to hear about it. Best of luck with this worthwhile event to honor those we have lost.

Hugs,

Lori

That is awesome Gennee. I’m attending our Transgender Remembrance Vigil at our Human Rights Monument in my city. I hope your spoken part is well received, it is important that we remember those we’ve lost.

Hugs from me too,

Beth

Posted

Thank you all for your encouraging words. I have dedicated this year to Camila Guzman, a transgender woman killed just a few miles from my home.

Posted

Do you have that story for us, Gennee?

Bonnie

Posted

Do you have that story for us, Gennee?

Bonnie

I will have a report for everyone by Monday, if not sooner.

Posted

Kelly Osbourne speaks in support of Transgender Day of Remembrance

"GLAAD, the nation's leading lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender (LGBT) media advocacy and anti-defamation organization, today published a guest blog post written by Kelly Osbourne in which she voices her support for the transgender community. The blog post was published on GLAAD's blog and The Transadvocate, whose editor originally contacted Osbourne via Twitter following Osbourne's use of anti-transgender words during a recent interview with Glamour UK. GLAAD spoke with Osbourne and today published her guest post. To read the full post visit: http://www.glaad.org/blog/guest-post-kelly-osbourne-i-support-transgender-community ."

Posted

Last night, I attended Transgender DOR ceremonies at the community center here. There were over 200 people present. A vigil was held where we all marched around the block. A few folks on the street asked what it was about.

There were speakers, words of encouragement , stories from the audience. I spoke for a couple of moments. I shared my story of transition and acceptance by family. I shared that I refuse to live in fear. I encouraged everyone to be themselves. I also read this poem that I wrote:

We are persecuted,

Yet we have perservered.

Our journey has been circuituous,

Yet we have always been.

Some have fallen,

Yet we are still standing.

My people, Arise!

I met a number folks afterwards. I shared my experiences with a lesbian couple who will be getting married. A gentleman hugged and thanked me for my testimony. This was the best TDOR event that I've been to. We paid homage to those who died this past year (221 trans people killed). It encourages me that we are moving forward. I'm happy that I participated.

Posted

JamieAnn Meyers contributed an excellent article to the Huffington Post that underscores the importance of the 2011 Transgender Day of Remembrance.

"Jan. 21, 2011, was a bitterly cold night, and the snow was crunchy under our feet as 300 members of our community walked in silent candlelight through the outskirts of downtown Minneapolis. Our destination was the steps of the apartment building where Krissy Bates, a transgender woman, lived and died at the hands of an assailant only two weeks earlier..."

Read the article: Transgender Day of Remembrance 2011: Remembering Our Dead, Seeking Justice for Our Living

Posted

An article appeared in The Advocate

In Memoriam: 2011's Transgender Murder Victims

"In observance of Sunday's Transgender Day of Remembrance, we look at eight American lives ended."

"...when you have publications like the New York Post refer to Chaz Bono as a "she-man," as it did this week, you can see where some of the intense hate directed at transgender people is born..."

Read the article: In Memoriam: 2011's Transgender Murder Victims

Each time the transgender community is marginalized (ex: David Letterman's skit) it serves to further stigmatize all gender variant people and helps perpetuate the abuse that sometimes ends in death. I am taken aback by the fact that male to female individuals and racial minorities (in the U.S.) account for a disproportionate number of the 2011 homicides. It is unacceptable. ~ Lori

Posted

I know this is late , but here in Richmond Virginia , First Unitarian church is already planning to have everyone attend T D O R in 2012 . The service we suddenly inhereted this year had no less than 100 people. Richmond isn't a large city as we are close to Washington D C . I'm proud to have been on the planning commitee and to have seen so much love and concern over our movement . thank you everyone if you were in attendence and I'm again looking forard to having anyone attend any function at our church again be it a dinner or a book club ! ellen

Posted

Thanks Ellen, appreciate your involvement and for sharing here at TGGuide.