Transgender Guide Message Board
Sign in to follow this  
Lori

Toronto's Transgender, Gay communities boycott Salvation Army (Video)

"The organization has recently released a statement trying to rid itself of that pesky old image that it discriminates against gay people by really pushing the "love the sinner, hate the sin" hard sell.... and are we just supposed to ignore that the Salvation Army has a history of taking action against gay rights all over the world?..."

Read the article: Toronto's Transgender, Gay communities boycott Salvation Army

In the past I have contributed more than the casual dollars tossed in the Salvation Army bucket, feeling I was helping the homeless. I've heard about their discriminatory assistance policies and have began making donations to more inclusive local organizations that help the homeless and hungry. ~ Lori

• Like 1

Yeah a friend passed along the SA's policies on gays and gay marriage s few months back and this Christmas at the malls and shops I've just smiled at the collectors and said sorry, no. It saddens me because I always did donate to them because I always believed they did so much good ... I know they do help however I cannot turn my cheek on the hate they spread.

In their eyes, my partner and I should not be lovers or be married.

Beth

• Like 1

NOTE: This update is made on the assumption that the Salvation Army operates the same everywhere. -M.

Salvation Army 'Does Not Consider Homosexual Orientation a Sin'

The bell-ringing charity removed two links to 'ex-gay' therapy groups from its website's resource collection for dealing with 'sexual addiction.'

Sunnivie Brydum | November 27 2013 1:01 PM ET

"In a letter sent to Truth Wins Out Tuesday, the Salvation Army's director of communications claimed the "ex-gay" links were part of an archived page that was inadvertently republished when the organization relaunched its site last month." --advocate.com

Hmmmmmmmmmmm <_< how convenient...

I see nothing in this article to indicate that their stand, "love the sinner, hate the sin," has changed. Simply removing links to ex-gay therapy organizations or prohibiting the denial of services/employment to TGLB people doesn't mean they will extend benefits to their TGLB employees -if they have any- or offer services to legally married same-sex couples. -Michael

I listened to the interview. I have donated to the Salvation Army in the past. My point is aren't you supposed to help someone who is in need? The person could be sick, hungry, or in emotional distress.