Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Anchorage: Initiative protecting gay, transgender rights

11 posts in this topic

Posted

"A question will appear on the April 3 ballot asking whether municipal protections against discrimination based on race, sex, religion and other factors should amended to include sexual orientation or transgender identity..."

Read the article: Anchorage municipal clerk verifies signature for initiative protecting gay, transgender rights

1 person likes this

Posted

Is it really something that needs to be confirmed? Seems to be common sense to me.

Bonnie

1 person likes this

Posted

"Is it really something that needs to be confirmed? Seems to be common sense to me." -Bonnie

Not only that, after reading about , didn't the 11th Circuit Court of Appeals rule that discrimination based on sexual orientation or gender identity is rooted in sexual discrimination? After reading articles about that case, I can't help but wonder now why any place in the U.S. needs a set of laws to protect GLBT people - it's already in place apparently. And considering that...seems to me that any employer, and other entities, would wise up and just start treating people right.

-Michael

3 people like this

Posted

I agree, Michael. I was recently talking to a friend of mine and she was asking why there needs to be laws protecting GLBT. I told her it was because the regular laws don't seem to include GLBTs. She didn't think laws would change anything. People either accept it or they don't. I agreed with her but still felt it needs to be written into law since "you cannot discriminate against anyone" doesn't seem to be enough.

Bonnie

2 people like this

Posted

A lot of laws aren't enforced, even if they are on the books.

:(

Posted

"A lot of laws aren't enforced, even if they are on the books. :( " -Gennee

True. Sadly true. Maybe those who fight on the front lines for us should stop trying to get laws passed, and start bringing existing laws to light...and demanding those laws be dusted off and put to good use.

-Michael

Posted

ANCHORAGE, Alaska — A group called Protect Your Rights: Vote No on 5 plans to unveil itself to the public later this week in opposition to the Anchorage equal rights initiative, which aims to extend certain rights to gay, lesbian, bisexual, and transgender people.

Read the article: Group Forms in Opposition to Gay Rights Initiative

Posted

Supporters of Proposition 5 ask opposition to pull TV, radio ad

Anchorage Daily News

The Protect Your Rights - Vote No on Campaign 5 campaign ad says day care centers would be forced to hire transvestites or face jail time. "

In the ad, cartoon "transvestite" who wants to work at a day care is drawn as a man with a jutting jaw and body hair, wearing a short pink dress, red high heels and lipstick..."

If you want to see the 30 second tv spots you can see them at a site by the

bigots at ProtectAnchorage.org

Warning:

These ads are extremely bigoted and offensive.

Absolutely disgusting. How low will they go to spread their message of bigotry and hatred? ~ Lori

Posted

Anchorage voters reject sexual orientation initiative

Kansas City Star

Anchorage voters rejected a proposed ordinance to add legal protections for gay, lesbian and transgender people in a chaotic municipal election fraught with ballot shortages and high voter turnout in many precincts. With more than 90 percent of the

Posted

Apparently, votes are still being tabulated. One Anchorage thanks its supporters.

"On behalf of One Anchorage, we extend our deepest appreciation to the thousands of you who poured your hearts and souls into this unprecedented grassroots effort, which bridged numerous divides in our community. We remain proud of our tireless work..."

One Anchorage Campaign on the Right Side of History

Posted

In the ad, cartoon "transvestite" who wants to work at a day care is drawn as a man with a jutting jaw and body hair, wearing a short pink dress, red high heels and lipstick..."

Would you want a girl dressed like this taking care of your children? I don't think so. They also use the term "transvestite" since it is seen only in a sexual sense publicly. How about, "Would you want a shemale or tranny or dike or fag or perv, etc taking care of your children?" Very easy to use negative terms to sway opinion to your point of view.

The work One Anchorage has done is excellent and brings people together to discuss the real issues and also shows how many there really are in support of rights for everyone. This can get people thinking about their own views and how bigotted they may really be and cause them to change them.

Bonnie