UN issues first report on human rights of gay and lesbian people

6 posts in this topic

Posted

"The first ever United Nations report on the human rights of lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender (LGBT) people details how around the world people are killed or endure hate-motivated violence, torture, detention, criminalization and discrimination in jobs, health care and education because of their real or perceived sexual orientation or gender identity... LGBT people are often targets of organized abuse from religious extremists, paramilitary groups, neo-Nazis, extreme nationalists and others, as well as family and community violence, with lesbians and transgender women at particular risk..."

Read the article: UN issues first report on human rights of gay and lesbian people

1 person likes this

Posted

"In 76 countries it remains illegal to engage in same-sex conduct and in at least five countries – Iran, Mauritania, Saudi Arabia, Sudan and Yemen – the death penalty prevails." -UN issues first report on human rights of gay and lesbian people, UN News Centre, un.org

When I read this paragraph, it made me think of a member we haven't seen in a while - Dee (aka Solo). He is from Saudi Arabia.

We always wonder why a person suddenly disappears. Usually, we credit it to a family member finding out about the person's activity on the forums. Sometimes, a person is discovered by friends or even co-workers. Rarely do we consider that someone has come to harm. But when we have a member who lives in a country that reeks with intolerance...well, makes ya wonder if the member is safe.

I guess all we can do is hope for the best...

1 person likes this

Posted

I worry about our members from some of these countries. They have it so tough.

Posted

Yes, I wonder how much those countries patrol the internet. What makes me think of it was the fictitious member from China who stated that the government watched the internet. Even though the member was found not to be a real person I still believe that China does monitor the internet. At the time I did worry for the person and his son as I would any real cry for help.

Bonnie

1 person likes this

Posted

Finally a little progress BRAVO!!

the United Nations recognizes all of us now maybe some of the hate crime will go away.....

We can only hope for more people to get educated on this matter. hopefully the general public will learn that we are all human beings;

who long for life, and the pursuit of happiness. Untill then we all have to pray and help each other, as best as we can. Just my thought thank you Ms. Lori for sharing!!

1 person likes this

Posted

“U.N. lists LGBT rights abuses for the first time”

Ohio

“New York City--Nine days after Secretary of State Hillary Rodham Clinton gave a strong address focusing on the human rights of LGBT people across the globe, the United Nations High Commissioner for Human Rights turned in the agency’s inaugural, overarching examination of violations of rights faced by LGBT people across the globe.” - Anthony Glassman

U.N. lists LGBT rights abuses for the first time