Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

"Myths About Same Sex Marriage"

3 posts in this topic

Posted

I am registered with the Independent Party. As such, I get mail from political action groups proposing this and that. Imagine my amusement that I was mailed a "Myths about Same Sex Marriage" brochure from a local group of bigots. They wanted me to send a donation so they can help spread the word that marriage is between one man and one woman.

One of their arguments is as follows;

Q: Isn't it discrimination to deny marriages to gays and lesbians?

A:
No. Every person -- male and female -- is treated equally under current marriage laws. These laws forbid marrying close relatives, people under a certain age or a person of the same gender.

Really?! Damn... you mean I can't marry my cousin? Or a 10 year-old? Who would've known?

And marrying a person of the same gender is in the same category as incest and pedophilia? I didn't know that either.

Well, at least everyone is treated equally, right? Well if it's so fair, why can't I marry the female partner that I love. How is that fair?

This mailer sought to enlighten me about the evils of gay marriage, and requested that I send in a nice donation to help them spread the word. Fortunately they included a postage paid envelope so I mailed it back to them, and wrote in large, red letters

BIGOTS!

Just needed to share.

2 people like this

Posted

After thinking about this a little longer, I decided to go to our local LGBT political organization Basic Rights Oregon and made a donation.

You know, I'd much rather have made this particular donation to help end hunger, or homelessness, or to help with cancer research. But the fight for basic human rights and dignity slaps you in the face sometimes.

1 person likes this

Posted

"Every person -- male and female -- is treated equally under current marriage laws. These laws forbid marrying close relatives, people under a certain age or a person of the same gender." -Unknown brochure

"Really?! Damn... you mean I can't marry my cousin? Or a 10 year-old? Who would've known? ...And marrying a person of the same gender is in the same category as incest and pedophilia? I didn't know that either." -Lori

Wow...amazing how the comparison to pedophilia and incest is innocuously made without using the actual terms. As many times as I've commented about being compared to pedophiles and perverts...and even I missed what was really in this veiled statement. It's like a subliminal message...one that is taken in and takes root, corrupting the innocent and unsuspecting in an attempt to insure another generation of brainwashed people and/or bigots.

Talk about indoctrination...

2 people like this