Poll: Utahns favor fairness in housing and jobs, oppose gay marriage and adoption

6 posts in this topic

Posted

SALT LAKE CITY — A majority of Utahns favor legal protection statewide for gay and transgender individuals when it comes to employment and housing.

However, results from a recently released poll also showed that most Utahns do not support marriage or adoption rights for gay or transgender couples.

Read the article: Poll: Utahns favor fairness in housing and jobs, oppose gay marriage and adoption

This is progress I guess... imagine the poll results ten or twenty years ago. Or, is it just that the people polled believe they're supposed to say they support gay and transgender rights for equal housing and employment opportunities. It's the politically correct thing to do after all. Pardon my cynicism please. ~ Lori

1 person likes this

Posted

LOL Ms. Lori a cynic .......I think not!!! ;)

At least the Mormon's are trying; one step at a time! Better than others states I read about lately. I guess ?? :P

Posted

It must be the fact that more than half of them believe that homosexuality is a choice is why they don't want to afford gay and trans people the right to traditional adoption.

They think being gay is a choice. I wonder what they think being trans is?

Posted

It must be the fact that more than half of them believe that homosexuality is a choice is why they don't want to afford gay and trans people the right to traditional adoption.

They think being gay is a choice. I wonder what they think being trans is?

I thought that was a great question so I set out to do some research.

Well, wonder no more. I thought that was an interesting question so here is a video explaining the LDS (Mormon) view on transsexuals. I will point out that not everyone in Utah is Mormon. Wikipedia states that approximately 60% of the population of Utah is LDS, making it the most religously homogenous state in the US. ~ Lori

Mormon View of Transsexuals

1 person likes this

Posted

It is amazing how one person can say they saw something and then create a whole new religion, or form of a previous one, and then so many people accept it. I guess that is how religion starts in the first place. How many people is God speaking through anyway? What does the Pope have to say about this? I thought he was closest to God?

Bonnie

1 person likes this

Posted

"What does the Pope have to say about this? I thought he was closest to God?" -Bonnie

He's closest to God 'cause, well...that's what was decided the Pope would be...the closest human being to God. Of course we all know it was just another law made by man. No doubt it all started out to suit someone's agenda at the time.

I used to chat with a guy who was mormon. Whenever his GID would get the best of him, his parents would take him to the church elders...who would try to convince him that he was not a boy. He hated going, but at the time (he was in his mid teens) believed it was the best thing for him - or so he claimed. I don't know if he was saying that because he thought he should, or if he was trying to convince himself that it really was best. He also wanted to leave the mormon church, but was afraid to because, he said if he did, he would go to hell. He was a cutter, too. Wonder why.

The video above sheds even more light on the situation between mormons and tranpeople.