Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Bradley Manning's Gender Identity Issues

14 posts in this topic

Posted

Bradley Manning's gender identity comes up in testimony

Most recognize the name of Bradley Manning, the Army private accused of leaking millions of pages of classified documents to the online site wikileaks.com. This is considered to be the largest intelligence leak in US history. The United States has charged manning with 22 counts of violating military codes including theft of records and aiding the enemy. Conviction of the latter would probably result in a life sentence but could also subject him to the death penalty.

Recently, details are emerging about Manning which reveal he may have been struggling with gender identity issues. Military documentation refers to a photo where Manning was dressed as a female.

Fort George G. Meade, Maryland (CNN)
-- "Defense lawyers... brought up Saturday a purported
female alter ego
of Bradley Manning's as they seek to establish his state of mind at the time of the alleged crimes... the Army private had an alter ego with the name,
Breanna Manning
. The agent said he was aware Manning used the name in online chats... During questioning by Manning's lawyer, it was revealed that Manning kept a folder of articles about
gender identity disorder
in his living quarters..."

Read the CNN news article: Bradley Manning's gender identity comes up in testimony

1 person likes this

Posted

A detailed article appearing in NYMag.com delves into examining who Bradley Manning is.

Bradley Manning’s Army of One

How a lonely, five-foot-two, gender-questioning soldier became a WikiLeaks hero, a traitor to the U.S., and one of the most unusual revolutionaries in American history.

"Manning’s concerns about his sexual identity were intensifying. In November 2009, he made contact on the web with a gender counselor back in the States... “Bradley felt he was female,” “He was very solid on that.” Quickly, their conversation shifted to the practicalities: How does someone transition from male to female? “He really wanted to do surgery,” the counselor recalled. “He was mostly afraid of being alone, being ostracized or somehow weird.” To the counselor, it was clear Manning was in crisis. “I feel like a monster,” he’d typed on his computer several times..."

Read the article: Bradley Manning's Army of One

1 person likes this

Posted

I can't help but come away from this with the idea that Manning's defense team is using his alleged GID as a form of defense, that he was somehow rendered emotionally unstable and not in his right mind, or not guilty by reason of insanity.

And if so... this surely can't bode well for transpeople in general. I mean...we're trying to get GID removed from the DSM.

2 people like this

Posted

Good observation Michael. I do believe Manning's transgender identity will become more of a storyline. Transgender always gets the spotlight, as we've discussed before. I haven't heard a great deal about it yet but wait til more media outlets (especially the conservatives) catch up with this story.

Just imagine the impact of having a transgender person responsible for the United States largest intelligence leak. I'm certain we'll be hearing a lot more about this news topic.

2 people like this

Posted

“Bradley Manning: Cunning sexual strategist or troubled soldier struggling with gender identity issues?”

“The trial of ex-Army intelligence analyst Bradley Manning, who is in court facing charges of leaking 150,000 State Department cables to WikiLeaks, has been spiced up by claims that the 23-year-old alleged leaker was perhaps better connected to the Washington D.C. gay establishment than was previously thought.” – The Periscope Post

http://www.periscopepost.com/2011/12/bradley-manning-cunning-sexual-strategist-or-troubled-soldier-struggling-with-gender-identity-issues/

1 person likes this

Posted

I did a little more research and discovered that Bradley Manning had instant message chats with Zinnia Jones, aka ZJ.

Zinnia has a Youtube video where she discusses her conversations with Bradley Manning and her subsequent decision to release chat transcripts to the media for publication.

ZINNIA JONES VIDEO

BRADLEY MANNING CHAT TRANSCRIPTS

"Conversations between Zachary Antolak aka Zinnia Jonesand Bradley Manning over AIM. Manning uses the handle: Bradass87. Some names and identifying characteristics have been redacted..."

IM Chat transcripts between Bradley Manning and Zinnia Jones: Chat Transcripts

1 person likes this

Posted

“Manning defense's focus on gender identity disorder alarms some”

“Raising the hackles of some attorneys who work on transgender legal issues, defense attorneys for Bradley Manning apparently intend to make an almost novel legal argument -- that the Army private was suffering from gender identity disorder when his alleged crimes were committed -- if his case proceeds to court martial as expected.” - Mike Brunker

http://openchannel.msnbc.msn.com/_news/2011/12/21/9590399-manning-defenses-focus-on-gender-identity-disorder-alarms-some?chromedomain=usnews

1 person likes this

Posted

Well.... this whole thing is nicely blowing up just the way I thought it would if Manning's attorneys took his defense in this direction. I guess it will be too much to hope for an intelligent judge that will shut this crazy train down, and disallow the "mental issues" defense.

Will this open the door for other criminals to claim their "gender identity issues" made them do things they wouldn't have otherwise done if the court allows this crap??

And if this begins a trend...what's that gonna mean for us?

1 person likes this

Posted

“Army private portrayed as deeply troubled”

“Captain Steven Lim, a military intelligence officer at Fort Meade, testified on December 17 that Army Private First Class Bradley Manning told his superior officer in an e-mail that he was suffering from gender identity disorder. The Washington Postreported that Lim said that Manning, who was stationed in Baghdad, sent Master Sergeant Paul D. Atkins a picture of himself dressed as a woman. The newspaper further noted that a retired Army investigator testified that Manning maintained a Facebook profile under the name Breanna Manning.” - Michael K. Lavers

http://www.ebar.com/...s&article=67262

Posted

“Why does the media still refer to “Bradley” Manning? The Curious Silence Around a Transgender Hero”

“One of the most persistent threads throughout the two years of imprisonment of accused Wikileaks leaker Private Bradley Manning has been the rumour that he is in fact, she–a transgender woman. Manning faces thirty charges, one of which “aiding the enemy” potentially carries the death penalty (though life in prison is more likely) for leaking hundreds of thousands of documents via the website Wikileaks including the shocking “Collateral Murder” video. Dismissed by many as a smear or simply irrelevant to the case, this transgender story has nevertheless refused to die.” - Emily Manuel

http://globalcomment...ansgender-hero/

Posted

“Is “Don’t Ask” to Blame for Bradley Manning and WikiLeaks?”

“No single man has made gays in the military look worse than Army PFC Bradley Manning: alleged leaker of hundreds of thousands of classified military and diplomatic documents to WikiLeaks. Anyone found guilty of intentionally weakening our nation’s security is deplorable and deserves harsh punishment. The one thing still irking me about his trial is how Manning’s sexuality has been a point of contention since he was arrested, and his gender identity has been cited as evidence as to why he was unfit for duty.” - Karl Johnson |

http://battleland.bl...-and-wikileaks/

Posted

No matter how Bradley Manning was struggling with his sexual orientation or gender identity issues I cannot see how that could affect his decision to leak the secret information that he did. Totally two separate issues. The only bearing I can see between the two was that the struggle was becoming so intense that he didn't care if he got caught leaking the information. After that, it is his life struggles on one hand and his moral struggles with what he learned on the other.

Is what he actually leaked no longer an issue? No, Bradley Manning is much more important than any government improprieties.

I agree, Michael, the focus on Bradley's state of mind in reference to his 'alleged' gender identity struggles is not good for transgenders on the whole. But then we can say the same thing for anyone who has done something 'wrong' as a result of psychological stress.

Bonnie

1 person likes this

Posted

Here is my take on the matter, First I argee with all of you all and your comments. Next when I read this excert I meditated long, and hard about what their implying by this statment. "Finally, Lim testified that a sergeant who counseled Manning about his behavior wrote letters about Manning's emotional problems, but didn't show them to Lim until after Manning's arrest. One of those letters referred to a photograph in which Manning appeared dressed as a woman.

The sergeant should have informed him as soon as he learned about Manning's gender identity issues, Lim said, so that action could have been taken." I think by this statment the miltary is somehow saying that tg/ts/ crossdress are sneaky, and deceptive..Plain english, you can't trust one of them!!...They can just go jump of a bridge in my book!!! Also, I worry about the media, and how their going to try to sway public opinion on the issue?? <_<

<Plague shakes her head, and thinks does not look good for us> :blink:

Posted

"No matter how Bradley Manning was struggling with his sexual orientation or gender identity issues I cannot see how that could affect his decision to leak the secret information that he did. Totally two separate issues." -Bonnie

"I think by this statment the miltary is somehow saying that tg/ts/ crossdress are sneaky, and deceptive.." -Plague

I agree, Bonnie. And Plague...you're on the right track.

Manning's attorneys may be exploiting the [u.S.] Military's stand on TG/TS people - it considers us medically unfit to serve based on a diagnosis of GID and/or genital surgery, which is labelled by the Military as "major abnormalities and defects..."

If one is found to be TG/TS they are discharged. This is also why people who have already transitioned cannot enlist.

This could be why they keep bringing up that Manning's superiors allegedly knew about his transgender issues. They may be hoping to place the blame for Manning's actions squarely on the Military - the very entity that declares TG/TS people unfit...and if the Military had discharged Manning upon discovery of his TG/TS issues, the information leak might never have happened.

-Michael