Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

“Anchorage equality initiative draws national scrutiny”

3 posts in this topic

Posted

“An initiative to grant new legal recognition to people in Anchorage who identify themselves as gay or transgender will appear on the April 3 ballot.” - Joel Davidson | CatholicAnchor.org

Anchorage equality initiative

I read this article twice and am still not sure what their point has to do with Equality, unless of course it’s foresight on how they are planning to treat Transgender people and they want “equal” protection under the law ... ~ Beth

Posted

What I get from the article is that the Alliance Defense Fund is preparing for the ballot in December. It also sounds to me like they are saying that anyone acting according to his/her religion (most likely in discriminatory ways) should also be added to the list of protected classes, as they are not currently protected, and therefore have no equality.

Of course we all know, that to add such language would pretty much cause any protections to GLBT people...to become null and void, as everytime someone refused to allow a TG/TS person in somewhere, s/he will suddenly become religious and claim that s/he had a right to do what s/he did in the name of his/her [god].

Posted

Yes, Beth, the ADF wants to allow religions to be exempted from having to follow the laws of anti-discrimination based on religious ideals. Some religions do not want to be forced to accept LGBTs into their fold. Sexual predators, bigots, thieves, murders, etc are ok but not LGTBs. Heaven Forbid!!!!!

Bonnie