FORGE FORWARD was founded in 1994 to provide peer support primarily for the FtM transgender community. Their scope has grown to include everyone in the transgender community including significant others, friends, family and allies. Forge-Forward.org
Forge Forward has compiled a list of 2011 transgender achievements (see excerpts below). You can read the entire article on the Forge Forward web site: 2011 Transgender Achievements Reference Guide
"2011 was full of many advancements for transgender people and loved ones. The following is a list of just some of the progress achieved in 2011."
[Download a printable copy here: 2011 Transgender Achievements – References]
- American Congress of Obstetricians and Gynecologists issues opinion directing its members to “assist or refer” transgender patients, and opposing anti-transgender discrimination.
- All new bills introduced into Congress are appropriately trans-inclusive.
- Four states and 13 localities outlaw anti-transgender discrimination.
- Chaz Bono appears on Dancing With the Stars
- U.S. Secretary of State Hillary Clinton addresses the United Nations on LGBT
- A federal appeals court rules that Title VII outlaws employment discrimination against transgender people.
- The first sitting Cabinet Secretary addresses a transgender event.
- U.S. government begins developing questions to determine how many transgender people are participating in various national surveys.
- Harmony Santana becomes first openly trans actor to get a major award nomination.
- The Human Rights Campaign reports that nearly 1/3 of the largest US corporations are covering transgender surgeries.
- NCTE and GLSEN issue model policies school districts can use to protect transgender and gender non-conforming students.
- The White House hosts meeting with advocates to discuss what the federal government can do to address anti-transgender violence.
- Social Security Administration ceases issuing gender “no match” letters to employers.
- World Professional Association for Transgender Health issues more progressive Standards of Care.
- NCTE issues fact sheet publicizing Medicare coverage for transgender care.
- Veterans Administration mandates that all VA facilities treat transgender veterans respectfully.
- United Nations passes first resolution focused solely on protecting people based on their sexual orientation and gender identity.
- U.S. Office of Personnel Management issues progressive documents on transgender employees.
- “Injustice at Every Turn: National Transgender Discrimination Study” published.
- Passports with correct name and gender made much easier to get.