New airport screening regs raise questions for trans Canadians

11 posts in this topic

Posted

New airport screening regs raise questions for trans Canadians

"A recent regulatory change that the Harper Conservatives have made to the Aeronautics Act (i.e. passed by ministerial fiat, rather than shepherded through Parliamentary process) that potentially affects many trans (and cis) Canadians and could even ban some from air travel"

Read the article online: New airport screening regs raise questions for trans Canadians

Here is a copy of the new regulations (note section 5.2(1)c;

Sec 5.2(1) An air carrier shall not transport a passenger if

a. the passenger presents a piece of photo identification and does not resemble the photograph;

b. the passenger does not appear to be the age indicated by the date of birth on the identification he or she presents;

c. the passenger does not appear to be of the gender indicated on the identification he or she presents; or

d. the passenger presents more than one form of identification and there is a major discrepancy between those forms of identification.

(2) Despite paragraph (1)(a), an air carrier may transport a passenger who presents a piece of photo identification but does not resemble the photograph if

a. the passenger’s appearance changed for medical reasons after the photograph was taken and the passenger presents the air carrier with a document signed by a health care professional and attesting to that fact; or

b. the passengers’s face is bandaged for medical reasons and the passenger presents the air carrier with a document signed by a health care professional and attesting to that fact.

5.3 (1) If there is a major discrepancy between the name on the identification presented by a passenger and the name on the passenger’s boarding pass, an air carrier shall compare the name, date of birth and gender on the identification with those of persons specified to the air carrier by the Minister under paragraph 4.81(1)b of the Act. (2) If the name, date of birth and gender on the identification are the same as those of a person specified to the air carrier, the air carrier shall immediately so inform the Minister.

1 person likes this

Posted

"F!" TSA= Nazi :angry: I'll never Fly!!! till this goverment gets rid of them!!! <_< Maybe we all should learn to goose step too!!! :lol:

I bet you all thought "F" stands for ..... Well nop your wrong F= FORGET!!! ;) But the Nazi crack stands!!! LOL!!!

Like all that "S" is going to save one person ya right!!.....Maybe they should do their jobs, there's a thought and not this crap!! Along with taking peoples cupcakes checking older peoples colostomy bags, and those stupid photo booths. I think we all were a lot safer before this crap!! :angry: ...Thank you George W Bush!! :D

Posted

I read this article earlier this morning. Tisis a travesty and sems to have been done in an underhanded way. I pray that all Canadians will work hard to end this dicrimination. If the don't it will be costly in the long run.

1 person likes this

Posted

"Minister of Transportation Denis Lebel is, of course, a federal Conservative MP appointed to the cabinet position..." -chrismilloy.ca

Power corrupts; absolute power corrupts absolutely

1 person likes this

Posted

Petition: Tell Harper to allow trans people to fly on airplanes

Under Sec 5.2(1)© of the ID screening regs of Aeronautics Act:

“An air carrier shall not transport a passenger if the passenger does not appear to be of the gender indicated on the identification he or she presents.”

This means that anyone who is a post-op or non-op trans* person can be turned away from getting on flights in Canada. This is blatant discrimination towards the trans community.

Sign the petition to tell Harper that Canadians won't stand for this type of oppression.

1 person likes this

Posted

1 person likes this

Posted

Transgendered Halifax man upset by new travel ID rule

"Before changing his first name to Tucker, Bottomley used to go by the name Anna. That's still the name on his passport. He's concerned about Transport Canada's new rule."

"It's kind of worrisome because no one wants to be judged in a public place on, you know, what their identification card says as opposed to what they look like in person," Bottomley said.

Read the news article: Transgendered Halifax man upset by new travel ID rule

Posted

"Transport Canada insists the new rule will not prevent transgendered people from flying.

"It said it isn't aware of any situation where a transgender person with a medical document was barred from boarding a plane since the rule was introduced last July." -Transgendered Halifax man upset by new travel ID rule, CBCNews, cbc.ca

Isn't Transport Canada contradicting themselves? Or are they mocking TG/TS people? Not all TG/TS people have medical documents. I hate when someone [talks to me] like I'm some kinda dumb @$$ fool. This response reeks of contempt, and really ticked me off...and I don't even have to fly in or out of Canada. 14.gif FTC!! And I'm sure you all know that in this case, the "F" doesn't stand for "forget." <_<

2 people like this

Posted

I just don't get this kinda of discrimination :huh: ...What's all the hoopla about??? :rolleyes: As if a transwoman is going to hide a bomb in side her chest, or a transman is going to hide a bomb in side his junk. <_< WT*!! is with these normies :angry: ....There's not ONE case of a trans-anybody doing anthing on a plane. :angry: OH! wait, :blink:

their doing one thing on there G/D plane...It's called Flying..Stupid A**ES!! :P