Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Transgender Americans may face increased risk of mistreatment in Occupy crackdowns

3 posts in this topic

Posted

"Transgender people have been central figures from the beginning of the Occupy Movement, adding to a long history transgender people participating in direct actions.

Mara Keisling, executive director of the National Center for Transgender Equality, expressed concern for transgender people..."

Read the article: Transgender Americans may face increased risk of mistreatment in Occupy crackdowns

Posted

Leaders of any movement are usually treated harshly or more harsh than the others. Not sure what 'mistreatment' means in this instance. Hopefully, the lawyers will be able to keep it civil. I think that transgender people offend become the centre of major issues like this because their life can't be any worse than it is now. They don't fear punishment because their whole life seems a punishment and so they get involved in order to make life better for themselves and the rest of us who live similar lives.

Bonnie

Posted

Bonnie, many transgender people who have been arrested have been humiliated, called names, propositioned for sex, beaten and other vile acts. It was a fear of mine when I went down there. I'm in New York. One thing I have vowed is that I will NOT be humiliated by anyone.