In NYPD Custody, Trans People Get Chained to Fences and Poles

4 posts in this topic

Posted

"A trans woman says that when she was arrested for a minor subway violation, NYPD officers belittled her, called her names, asked about her genitals — and kept her chained to a fence for 28 hours. Now she's suing. And it turns out she's far from alone..."

Read the article: http://jezebel.com/5...ences-and-poles

2 people like this

Posted

"Emails to the Deputy Commissioner of Public Information have gone unanswered. When I contacted Timothy Duffy, the NYPD's LGBT liaison, he declined to comment and referred me right back to the DCPI." -In NYPD Custody, Trans People Get Chained to Fences and Poles, by Anna North, jezebel.com

What's the LGBT Liaison for? Considering the NYPD's track record, seems this alleged liaison is nothing but a political front, and a slap in the face to LGBT people... especially for transpeople.

3 people like this

Posted

How come the A C L U isn't all over this yet ? Curious folks like me wanna know !

1 person likes this

Posted

"Temmie Breslauer was arrested on January 12 in a New York subway station for illegally using her father's discount fare card..."

Breslauer's attorney, Gregory Antoillino, told Gothamist.com, "Suffering and humiliation by transgender people at the hands of the police, such as the suffering exemplified by Temmie’s experience, is all too common. This lawsuit seeks monetary damages for Temmie and written changes in police policies for treating transgender arrestees. A police precinct is a public accommodation and no one should have to answer questions about the state of his or her genitalia to be treated with decency, fairly, and within the bounds of the law."

Read the news article: Temmie Breslauer, Transgender Woman Arrested By New York Police Department, Alleges Mistreatment

If Breslauer's allegations are true, this story goes well beyond police mistreatment or misconduct. It is a hate crime committed against one of our most vulnerable in society by the very people sworn to protect ALL citizens. I do hope appropriate action will be taken. ~ Lori

1 person likes this