Transgender Guide Message Board
Sign in to follow this  
Lori

D.C. Man Gets 15-Year Sentence for Transgender Assault

WASHINGTON, DC -- "A District man convicted of attacking a transgender woman last summer in Northwest Washington was sentenced to 15 years in prison Thursday, according to the United States Attorney’s Office.

Russell Brock-Smith, 26, from Washington, D.C., was convicted of assault with intent to rob in November..."

Read and news article: D.C. Man Gets 15-Year Sentence for Transgender Assault

We've seen other reports of transgender attacks in Washington, DC. It leads me to wonder if DC is a particularly dangerous place for transgender people.

"We've seen other reports of transgender attacks in Washington, DC. It leads me to wonder if DC is a particularly dangerous place for transgender people." -Lori

Certainly sounds like it to me. In fact, despite NY's new law allowing same-sex marriage...I've come to the conclusion in the past few days that NYC and DC are two places that TG/TS people should just avoid altogether.

Granted, the biggest problem in NYC seems to be with the police (which may not be restricted to just NYC)...and one could go there with the attitude that they are a law-abiding citizen. But one could find him-/herself very innocently in police custody depending on laws. A person could be hauled in after it's discovered they don't have their license on them...maybe they've unknowingly lost it, or in a rush left the house without it, and now they're smack in the middle of an accident.

If the person is transgender, the day just went from bad to worse...

• Like 1