Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Republican Chokes Up At Gay Marriage Debate in Washington

4 posts in this topic

Posted

She is a Republican. I think we need to remember that many conservatives, republicans and religious people are also standing up for LGBT rights, and we need to be careful not to stereotype any group of people.

1 person likes this

Posted

She is a Republican. I think we need to remember that many conservatives, republicans and religious people are also standing up for LGBT rights, and we need to be careful not to stereotype any group of people.

I agree...however, I would have liked her speech so much more had she been speaking purely out of the desire to do the right thing. Makes me wonder if she would have made that speech if she did not have someone close at heart that happens to be gay, and also having lost her husband. I have to admit I was a bit disappointed when she mentioned these things - especially the part about her daughter. I'm sure it is these two events that have allowed her understand how it would feel to be denied some certain right, and she did indicated that even she herself might not be a representative were it not for people fighting for equality... but to me...just feels like her daughter being gay is the drive for the representative's passion.

Kudos to her, though, for speaking up.

-Michael

2 people like this

Posted

I look at it this way. :P .Whatever her motivation is, it's one less homophobic person in the Congress. :D ...

Another one bites the dust!!! ;)