Change
VISITORS: Your access to view photos and site information is limited as a guest.
Click here to join now

Toggle shoutbox Shoutbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

carrell : (19 December 2014 - 01:40 PM) Any members in New Mexico ?
jennifer38 : (19 December 2014 - 12:16 PM) I still plan to have another phone conference, tomorrow.  All members are invited.  Details are on the calendar.
UsernameOpti... : (18 December 2014 - 07:55 PM) Happy Birthday to stephani
MonicaPz : (18 December 2014 - 06:17 PM) Happy birthday, Stephani!
AshMich1945 : (18 December 2014 - 10:57 AM) Hello...my name when I'm transformed, is Ashleigh Michelle James. I'm a lifelong cd/tg from sw Connecticut. I've been fascinated by female attire and femininity since I was very young. Now that I'm mature, I can enjoy all the benefits of being a woman. I hope to meet many more members from CT and share my experiences with them as well as possibly go out for shopping trips, coffee latches and brunch.
CharityLynnC... : (16 December 2014 - 01:24 AM) lol
veronicabeta : (15 December 2014 - 10:16 PM) Recalling all the times I cursed "dial up" and was worried the Interweb might have become self aware !
UsernameOpti... : (15 December 2014 - 09:30 PM) Duct tape, bailing wire, bubble gum and a good hammer will usually fix nearly anything!
Lori : (15 December 2014 - 08:43 PM) Sorry about the outage today. We had server problems but banging on it with a hammer seemed to work! ;)
CharityLynnC... : (15 December 2014 - 08:22 PM) what in the world cause this site to be down for a day...lol..tried to get on and got an sql server error..
jennifer38 : (15 December 2014 - 10:56 AM) I plan to hold another conference this Saturday at 3 PM Eastern.  For those who came to the last one, the number and meeting ID are the same.  Anybody who does not have the number and is interested, please message me, as I've been advised to not openly post the number and ID for fear of them falling into the hands of troublemakers.  Also, anytime I bring up religion and The Bible, it is not meant to intimidate or embarrass anyone.  I'm sorry if anyone feels put down, because I have no intentions of doing so.  In spite of my transgender feelings, I have a deep love for Christ, but I respect those who don't believe like I do.  My goal of these telephone chats is simply to create a telephone hang-out for us fellow trans on all levels of the spectrum, and for our allies.  I hope to see you all there.
cross2play : (13 December 2014 - 07:57 PM) I cross dresser 1st time in days & walked on high street as her it was amazingly incredible : cdsing in moderation he he !
PamalaFlinn : (12 December 2014 - 02:56 PM) Jay P . I am in Baltimore sometimes.
MonicaPz : (12 December 2014 - 01:15 PM) Jen, it was great, and I can't wait!
jennifer38 : (12 December 2014 - 01:12 PM) I thank everybody who called into my telephone conference.  It was wonderful.  I feel good about talking to others and hearing their perspectives.  Lord willing, I will hold another one, soon.  The conference number and ID will always be the same.  I will let you all know when I plan to do this, again.  God bless you all.
JayPea25 : (12 December 2014 - 11:50 AM) Anyone in Baltimore!?
veronicabeta : (12 December 2014 - 12:16 AM) Dug the Vid Warren. T.Y.!
Bonnie : (11 December 2014 - 02:45 PM) Fun video, Warren, except for the ending.  The jumping while running hand in hand.  It is good to see a video like this though.  Thank you.
jennifer38 : (11 December 2014 - 11:41 AM) This is a reminder about my telephone conference, tomorrow afternoon at 3 EST.  Come out and enjoy yourself.  This is a general chat about our various transgender feelings and issues.  This is a great way to get to know one another better.  Details are in the calendar.  If you have any questions, please message me.  Hope to see you there, tomorrow.
EmmaSweet : (09 December 2014 - 10:13 PM) Cool, Warren! Good thing they had subtitles. My Japanese is pretty weak!

Dress size???

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

PlagueBubonic

PlagueBubonic

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 562 posts
  • Interests:Long walks, or hiking. Shopping!!! having fun and listening to others. Learning, gardening,cooking.
    working out and being a creature of mischief!!
I give a hypothetical experience: let's say I have this friend, and she want to buy a dress for her self.
First she knows, because she is a TG girl she not going to get in to a ladies dress room ...not yet.
she also, thinks it will look odd if she goes in to the mens changing room with a dress, and because the store is kinda far from her home; she does not want to buy the thing just to return it; if it doesn't fit right ....
So, what does she do in that instance???. :rolleyes:...Seriously, I have no clue?? :blink:
PS this is not about me ...I don't not like dresses...My legs are just tooooooo big for a dress, :P
but they are pretty. ;)
All advice will much appereciated! :D
Manners & Behaviour can take you where money can't, regardless who or what you are!
The Gothic Girl Said................Peace Out .......>^.^<

tbirdgal

tbirdgal

Advanced Member / Editor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,092 posts
  • Interests:writing, photography, history. archecture, service station stuff, decent coffee
Well, since she has boxed herself out , no pun intended , go to a Catalouge store or On-line . Look, womens clothing sizes are NOT what they claim to be . Different garments will be too small and too large in a given size . Take a Pendleton skirt for instance , Their stuff actually runs small in their Wool stuff, trust me on this . You go to Talbotts , it's large . Yes, both retailers are  "High End stores ". Both have On line stores too.

Lori

Lori

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,438 posts
  • Interests:Travel, horses, scuba diving, computers
I do prefer buying most things in person. But reputable online retailers make returns very easy. I often order tall sizes online since there are very few stores locally that carry tall sizes. Just take your measurements and pay close attention to their sizing charts. I also found that I had to imagine the clothing on me rather than on their perfect body model. That helps me avoid some clothing styles that simply don't work for my body type.
If you want what you've never had, you've got to do what you've never done.

karenozark

karenozark

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
  • Interests:Exploring through therapy and self-exploration my M to F journey in all its stages
I will be increasing my online purchases as I begin to transition...after and if I get passable and more courage...then I will very much enjoy shopping for clothes in person

Gennee

Gennee

• Moderators
  • 1,716 posts
  • Interests:Poetry, Writing, Reading, Running, Soccer, Transgender Issues, Christianity, documentaries, electronics, bass guitar, lighthouses, castles.
I've purchased clothing in person and online.

jean

jean

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
  • Interests:Arts, literature, nature, society, and the things we don't yet know.
Proportions are really wild in getting a right fit, like, I'm 5'9', 185lb, and I am a 16-18 petite on pants, and around a 22, or XL on blouses, and 16 or XL on dresses. I go to thrift stores or department stores in jeans and a blouse, with my hair in a pony tail with light makeup and jewelery, like on Monday mornings around 10am when few people are there, and when they have put out their new stock. Nobody really cares, ha, even here in small town Georgia.

Now here's my trick: I bring a tiny tape measure, and, knowing my waist, chest, waist, torso length, and inseam, I measure directly, because there is a large variation in sizes. This practice, especially at thrift stores, has been a low cost way of getting a feel for my size for when I order online. Amazon has a good size chart that cross-references the different measurement formats, including European, and expresses sizes in inches.
Visioning the highest forms of our existence, and trying to save the world from itself.

Calista

Calista

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 215 posts
I'm 5' 8" and 133lb. One of my (girl) friends said that I was a size 12 top and size 10 bottom, so I usually buy a dress size 12. Thou as has been mentioned sizes differ so you could buy a 12 that's more like a 10 or 14 and sometimes you can buy 2 of exactly the same garments (say size 12) and they differ. I always buy on-line, I did go into a Ann Summers shop once for lingerie, luckily the assistant was very accommodating and just found my exact size. Thou now I usually go on Amazon, thou with the buy with one click. (On iPhone) I need to restrain myself it makes shopping too easy.
Doing what you like is Freedom, Liking what you do is happiness - Allen Ginsberg

Bonnie

Bonnie

Senior Moderator

• Moderators
  • 2,205 posts
If you want to go to a woman's store to try on some clothes it is best to go when the store first opens in the morning or near closing time.  Block stores are also better than mall stores.  There are less women in the store trying on things around those times so everyone is a bit more comfortable.

I would also suggest talking to one of the sales clerks or managers which is what I did.  I had been to the store before, told the clerk I crossdressed and could she help me find some tops and skirts in my sizes.  I told her the colours I liked.  She told me my approximate sizes and we went from there.  Another time I brought a guy who had never been to a woman's store to buy clothes and needed my help.  First he came to my place and tried on a top and a skirt and that helped with sizing then we went to the store.  I talked to the clerk while he shopped and brought things back to me to see what I thought.  The clerk told me he could try them on if he liked but he said no.  She told me the best times to come to the store when there were usually few women in it.

Bonnie

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users