Change
VISITORS: Your access to view photos and site information is limited as a guest.
Click here to join now

Toggle shoutbox Shoutbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

cross2play : (25 November 2014 - 06:50 PM) And subscribe so I can make more videio's :)
cross2play : (25 November 2014 - 06:47 PM) jennifer38 watch my youtube channel - its exactly for conflicting self's!
EmmaSweet : (25 November 2014 - 04:42 PM) I'd found it this morning in the Hurfington Post and added it as a comment to my blog post on depression and suicide: http://www.huffingto...lar,transgender
CharityLynnC... : (25 November 2014 - 04:35 PM) yw ... postively trans facebook group  posted this and ive been posting this everywhere i can
UsernameOpti... : (25 November 2014 - 04:16 PM) A big thanks to Charity Lynn for finding this website.  We have added this link to the list of online resources in the Mental Health and Crisis Intervention forum.   As always, if you or someone you know is in IMMEDIATE danger of harm, dial 911 or the emergency number in your area.
CharityLynnC... : (25 November 2014 - 01:24 PM) if you know anyone in the transgender community who is feeling suicidal..please give them this website that has a  number they can call for help. http://www.translifeline.org/
jennifer38 : (25 November 2014 - 11:54 AM) I got my blog up and running!  Hallelujah!
jennifer38 : (25 November 2014 - 10:49 AM) I've been trying, all day, to start a blog.  I created it, but I can't find where to type the main text of my entries.  For now, I seem to have the easiest time with the shoutbox.  I know I'm heard, here, for sure, and I can easily find other stuff I've already typed, here.
CharityLynnC... : (25 November 2014 - 10:23 AM) transgender suicide hotline has arrived for those in need. http://www.translifeline.org/
EmmaSweet : (25 November 2014 - 07:21 AM) Hi Jennifer, I suggest you start a blog on this topic and any others that you have now or later. I'm sure there are people here, like me, who would be happy to help however we can.
pushkal : (25 November 2014 - 05:34 AM) Hello to all
jennifer38 : (25 November 2014 - 04:36 AM) Good morning all.  Its after 7 AM Eastern.  Cold weather's coming back to PA.  Yuck.  Anyway, in response to someone I read, I would like to start a thread on my unique issues.  I wonder if this is what intersexed is.  When setting up my account, I wasn't sure which gender option to choose.  All I know is, I want to honestly state my true physical makeup as a man, but just as honestly confess my internal female feelings.  I've always wanted to meet other people in my exact situation.  I trust I am not alone in this, and this forum is a great way to vent these feelings I cannot just tell anyone.  At least I shouldn't be criticized or judged for this.  I'd certainly get it if I told family and church members.  I've hinted at it to my family, but I definitely did not go into all the vivid detail like I'm doing here.
pushkal : (25 November 2014 - 02:09 AM) I had purchased The Ultimate Genital Hiding Gaff Pink "Satin"
pushkal : (24 November 2014 - 11:25 PM) I want to appear in public as transgender
UsernameOpti... : (24 November 2014 - 10:39 PM) Hello jennifer38, and welcome.  Perhaps you would consider starting a thread on this topic - there may be others who encounter the same issues.
jennifer38 : (24 November 2014 - 07:57 PM) Here's where things get tricky.  I like my short hair and men's clothes, but my inner self feels feminine, and it is for that reason I crave the right to use ladies' bathrooms.  My inner and outer selves are constantly at war.  I've been deathly afraid to openly tell anybody outside the TG community.  I'm glad I can open up, here.  Please, any ladies on here, talk to me when you can.  I'd like that.
PamalaFlinn : (24 November 2014 - 07:57 PM) Sometimes it is better to bite the upper lip and give the flies the honey . You will be better off in the long run . Stand clear flies for the future may hold new truths.
PamalaFlinn : (24 November 2014 - 07:52 PM) One's most inner instincts must be trusted.
PamalaFlinn : (24 November 2014 - 07:46 PM) Can one carry a relationship with someone they have never met in person ; To build , grow , and flourish . One
jennifer38 : (24 November 2014 - 07:41 PM) Hi, everyone.  I;m new at this.  I am a man on the outside, but a girl inside.  I'm 38 and I've been blind all my life.  I fit in the category of non-op.  In the real world, I am forced to be a man, but on here, I'm glad I can be one of the ladies.  I am glad I found this site.  After several attempts, I finally was able to create my account.  Perseverance pays off.  Anyway, I'm glad to be on here.  I am glad I can declare myself TG based on feelings.  I can forget about the external for a while.

Survey: 41% of Transgender People Attempted Suicide

suicide prevention

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

Lori

Lori

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,434 posts
  • Interests:Travel, horses, scuba diving, computers
Survey: 41% of Transgender People Attempted Suicide
Advocate.com
By Neal Broverman It's no surprise that young transgender people endure extensive discrimination, but the harsh effect on their mental well-being is starting to come into focus thanks to new studies. A survey conducted by the Endocrine Division at ...

It sickens me that LGBT people have it so tough. I think transgender people have it even tougher than gay and lesbian people. This is not to speak lightly of the discrimination against gay and lesbian or bisexual people. It's just my observation that we often suffer in silence, or alone with very limited support in our lives. There are plenty of gay and lesbian social groups, community centers, nightclubs, etc. Only in the past few years has the transgender community been invited into many of these places. Even now we often feel out of place and many of you can attest that gay and lesbian people often don't understand us either. So, it's no surprise that our suicide rates are very high. Things are getting better. If you ever feel the despair that can lead to suicidal thoughts or actions please reach out to someone for help. Transgender life isn't easy but it's getting better. ~ Lori
If you want what you've never had, you've got to do what you've never done.

UsernameOptional

UsernameOptional

Forum Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,798 posts
I have only one thing to add to Lori's comment above... and that is, if you are not in immediate danger of doing something harmful to yourself, in addition to reaching out to someone for help or support, you should also check out the pinned thread "Online Resources for Transgender Mental Health, Crisis Intervention and Suicide Prevention."  If you aren't sure where to start looking for these types of resources, this list might serve to be a good start.

-Michael

Let there be light...and blind the unenlightenable! -DML/2006

PlagueBubonic

PlagueBubonic

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 562 posts
  • Interests:Long walks, or hiking. Shopping!!! having fun and listening to others. Learning, gardening,cooking.
    working out and being a creature of mischief!!
This is what I love to see people who really care, about the welfare of others.. :D . Thanks guys and gals :D ...
What a nice community we are a part of. ;) Ps I thought before I read this story that the suicide rate would much higher; although losing one person to suicide is to high of a rate. I would be very hurt to know that anybody would do this to themself. :( ..But I do understand; for I have been pushed to this point.
Peace Out my friends.
Manners & Behaviour can take you where money can't, regardless who or what you are!
The Gothic Girl Said................Peace Out .......>^.^<

stephani

stephani

• Moderators
  • 1,014 posts
  • Interests:I Have to say I am flattered BY your glances But I hold nothing within other than a Little Knowledge , if this is what you seek then by all means , lets walk for a whille .
It is a often over looked aspect of the LBGT communities , Yes There is a day of rememberance in November but so little is publisized about it , it goes by often unnoticed, and often times uncarred about . Though We Suffer in Silence It truelly Does not have to end by your own hands , there is support , there are people who care , and There are others feeling the same very things you feel , Don't Become a statistic , Reach out to any one who will listen , get the Psychologists number even if they dont have a clue about Trans issues They Are all to aware of the issues that lead up to suicide or attempted suicide , They often have an open door policy , walk into one and tell them your on the brink and need to get some help , they will find the answers you seek , if your in a location that has no Psychologist/Therapist then call or walk into a church , Just set down and talk with some one who can help you prevent this tragic epesode from taking place .

We all have had these thoughts , and have came out the other side battered and broosed , but we have came out alive .
Talk to anyone here that you find confort in talking to , talk if it means your thoughs will go away and gives you time to Seek a Trained Proffesionals Help .

Hugs
Stephani
I Have Fallen Down so much that my Knee's Have grown to use to being bent ....
Take your time to listen and I will give mine up to speak .I wish only to guide you to the place I searched for so long ago , take my hand and walk with us for our time is now , your time is approaching ...

http://www.hrc.org/

tbirdgal

tbirdgal

Advanced Member / Editor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,091 posts
  • Interests:writing, photography, history. archecture, service station stuff, decent coffee
Actualy, I'm not suprised as to the findings of this study. Hey, we belittle one another with stupid arguments as to whom is better as in Crossdressers , Pre-ops Post ops and those that go on and off hormones for what ever reason . half of the gay people hate us as too many think we do this for sexual pupposes . I do't know where that argument arose from , only that I personaly have heard it from Gays . Of course the Religious Hiarchery hates us , hell they hate anything that's not them anyway. The advice I have to everyone here is to look to youreslves from with in . Build on you're strenths and talents . Pay no attention to the detractors and live you're life as YOU think it needs to be fulfilled . Living to fulfill another's life is a life HALF LIVED !

Hotlips

Hotlips

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 97 posts
  • Interests:Well my interests are eclectic, I know a little bit about lots of things, but not a lot about anything.
And 100% have thought about it.
First - looking for a husband, second- looking for a boyfriend - third, looking for a casual acquaintance, well I am a bit lonely.

UsernameOptional

UsernameOptional

Forum Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,798 posts
"Survey:  41% of Transgender People Attempt Suicide," thread title
"And 100% have thought about it." -Hotlips

Considering I spent a good portion of 7th and 8th grade trying to figure out a fast, painless, and guaranteed way to off myself... I can't help but agree with Hotlips' comment.

AuroraDream

AuroraDream

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
  • Interests:Science, Engineering, Art, Design, Lingerie and frilly Dresses of course!
Indeed, I tried to hang myself several times at around age 10, because I could not deal with being a boy. It landed me in a TON of therapy and pills and 3 years in the childrens ward of a state mental hospital with people with REAL problems!
Sometimes I think I would have been better off, as I would have avoided 10+ years of torment and severe PTSD that still holds me back.

Lori

Lori

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,434 posts
  • Interests:Travel, horses, scuba diving, computers
I went through all this too. I've come to believe that we all owe it to ourselves to overcome the marginalization of modern society. We really are ok and society just needs to learn to accept us and maybe even some day appreciate our unique perspective on the world.

I sincerely hope that resource sites such as TGGuide (and the many others on the Internet) help transgender people of all types to realize that it is quite ok to be different from the norm. If we take a look at what the norm REALLY is then it isn't something to strive for anyway.
If you want what you've never had, you've got to do what you've never done.

Gennee

Gennee

• Moderators
  • 1,699 posts
  • Interests:Poetry, Writing, Reading, Running, Soccer, Transgender Issues, Christianity, documentaries, electronics, bass guitar, lighthouses, castles.
This is a topic that needs to be dealt with within the community and outside the community. It can be tough being a teen. If someone is GLBT then it can be worse. Thankfully there are resources out there that can be accessed. I also believe that churches will need to address this because some blame religious institutions for much of the trouble with some things I hear from so called ministers of God. More people are coming out at younger ages.

:mellow:

Phoebe

Phoebe

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 100 posts
  • Interests:Computers, crossdressing
Yes it does as a member of City of Lakes Crossgender community took her life last January. She had tried before, trying to shoot herself in the head. She grazed her forehead and just a trip to the emergency room to stitch the wound. Also the Hennepin County Attorney charged her with unlawful discharge of a firearm. She was due in court shortly before she took her life. A friend said she was afraid she would go to prison. The thought of going to prison maybe added to her stress level?

UsernameOptional

UsernameOptional

Forum Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,798 posts
That's sad, Janet.  And I can't help but believe that the thought of going to prison surely added into the mix.  Another life gone all because no one seemed to care.
-Michael

TraciCNJ

TraciCNJ

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Count me in that number.  Two weeks from today will be the 1 year anniversary of my last attempt.  Every day is a struggle.

Gennee

Gennee

• Moderators
  • 1,699 posts
  • Interests:Poetry, Writing, Reading, Running, Soccer, Transgender Issues, Christianity, documentaries, electronics, bass guitar, lighthouses, castles.
Traci, I'm happy that you are still with us. Never give up.

Hotlips

Hotlips

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 97 posts
  • Interests:Well my interests are eclectic, I know a little bit about lots of things, but not a lot about anything.
I cannot comprehend the misery a person must face to take their own life. All I can say is hang on, however difficult this might be, and wait. Kill yourself tomorrow, not today. Things may, and often do, get better. Also think of your loved ones. If you don't have any then get some. We can all adopt a little furry person. Having some little furry people at home dependent on you may make you think twice.

It works for me.
First - looking for a husband, second- looking for a boyfriend - third, looking for a casual acquaintance, well I am a bit lonely.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: suicide prevention

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users