Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

3 posts in this topic

Posted

She was called "the accidental activist." One article was headlined, "Prom victim to Pride hero."

After speaking up in 2010 against the discrimination at Itawamba Agricultural High School which refused to allow her to wear a tux and bring her girlfriend to the prom, Constance McMillen became a sudden celebrity.

McMillen was awarded damages in excess of $30K; the school district was ordered to pay her legal fees, and agreed to implement policies to prevent discrimination of LGBT students; talkshow host, Ellen DeGeneres, gave McMillen as $30K scholarship; Glamour mag named her '2010 Woman of the Year;' the NY Pride Parade chose her to be Grand Marshal; and Obama invited her to the White House.

McMillen had transferred to a new school and graduated in 2011. According to an October 2011 article, she is a psychology student at Northeast Mississippi Community College.

Not familiar with Constance? Learn a little more about her in the threads, "," and "" here on TGG.

Sources: glamour.com, salon.com, care2.com

1 person likes this

Posted

Oh yes , I remember the whole story ! it was one of the things that was talked about within our church here in Richmond Virginia , (First Unitarian ) as we sponsor the R. O. S. M. Y prom every year . I'm one of the Chaperones . I too could have well been this person back in 1965 within my own high school . I wanted soooooooo bad to have attended my prom, but as a teenage woman . Since I wasn't given a chance to do so, I am now living my youth again as a volunteer every year that I help to host a prom for people who otherwise wouldn't have a prom.............

1 person likes this

Posted

Michiael, I'm trying to get on with Equality Virginia right now . It's a political action group that will have a dinner in May. I want to recruit some of the people there to help out at this years R. O. S. M. Y prom also. Shoot, I'd love to have you as well ,but travel expenses being what they are .....................

1 person likes this