Change
VISITORS: Your access to view photos and site information is limited as a guest.
Click here to join now

Toggle shoutbox Shoutbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

UsernameOpti... : (21 August 2014 - 04:30 PM) WTG Ty...congrats
BenFriday : (21 August 2014 - 04:27 PM) NICE! I'm so happy for you!
TJDavies : (21 August 2014 - 09:04 AM) So, the appointment went really well. In about a month I'll be on T.
SamanthaNesara1 : (19 August 2014 - 11:00 PM) :P
TJDavies : (17 August 2014 - 01:37 AM) Thank you :)
BenFriday : (16 August 2014 - 08:13 PM) :)
SamanthaNesara1 : (16 August 2014 - 07:50 PM) :)
UsernameOpti... : (16 August 2014 - 03:49 PM) Hey Ty - Congrats.   Keep us post.
Tommiebefree : (14 August 2014 - 07:50 PM) And I am also greatfull to found all of your. G'nuight
Tommiebefree : (14 August 2014 - 07:34 PM) Onwards and upawards. Life is short. Lets live our dream!
Tommiebefree : (14 August 2014 - 07:33 PM) Right? I here that
BenFriday : (14 August 2014 - 06:07 PM) @TJDavies Congrats! I wish you the best of luck in everything,
BenFriday : (14 August 2014 - 06:06 PM) @Tommiebefree, My story? well it's probably similar too everyone elses here. I'm happy to have found this site by accident...
Tommiebefree : (14 August 2014 - 04:42 PM) BenFriday sorry i missed you. What's your story?
Tommiebefree : (14 August 2014 - 04:41 PM) TJDavies- GOOD FOR YOU! Nice. Anybody out there now?
TJDavies : (14 August 2014 - 01:37 PM) I'm super exceited. In less than a week, I have my appointment at the Mazzoni center, hopefully in the next few weeks Testosterone will be mine >:D
BenFriday : (14 August 2014 - 07:46 AM) hello, sorry I missed you earlier.
Tommiebefree : (14 August 2014 - 03:29 AM) Welcome to the shout
Tommiebefree : (14 August 2014 - 03:28 AM) Whats goin on?
Tommiebefree : (14 August 2014 - 03:27 AM) Hey Benfriday

First LGBT high school opens in Phoenix

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

Guest_ravynsorrow_*

Guest_ravynsorrow_*
  • Guests
http://www.abc15.com...pens-in-phoenix

im happy for this!!

tbirdgal

tbirdgal

Advanced Member / Editor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,089 posts
  • Interests:writing, photography, history. archecture, service station stuff, decent coffee
Hey Ravyn, I have to know dear , what does ole Evan Mecham say about this ? Damn , I wish I could see him squirm out this one !

UsernameOptional

UsernameOptional

Forum Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,727 posts
:lol: ... I don't think he's gonna have a whole heck of a lot to say unless he's haunting the Arizona state capitol building and has found a way to channel his thoughts to someone or something!  Otherwise...he's just gonna have to suck it up.

Now... he may be squirmin'.  Or more appropriately, turning in his grave.  But from what I've read about him, I don't think anyone is going to care.  Seems that even the conservatives couldn't deal with that fool.  Tha's pretty bad.

As for the school...I have mixed feelings.  In some ways, I am beginning to understand that special concessions are not always the answer.  My heart wants to say it's a good thing.  A safe and accepting place where kids can be themselves AND learn without fear.  But on the other hand...is "segregation" really the answer?  It's been proven in many situations that most aspects of segregation are inferior - usually to the group considered 'less than' by the rest of society.

I think I could feel totally good about such places if they are used only until such time that the mainstream institutions adjust their settings to accomodate all people of all persuasions - with built-in deadlines, of course.  Otherwise, they could drag their feet under the guise of making improvements just to keep certain groups out.

I also see this as a form of being outted.  If a child has been being bullied, but really wasn't out in that setting, but then his parents (who know he's gay) agree to let him go to "Q High," this will eventually get out.  The child is outted as being GLBT in some form.  The parents are outted as being the parents of a GLBT child.  Being outted is one of the problems that parents and other family and friends have with someone they know being GLBT.

Let there be light...and blind the unenlightenable! -DML/2006

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users