Change
VISITORS: Your access to view photos and site information is limited as a guest.
Click here to join now

Toggle shoutbox Shoutbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

UsernameOpti... : (21 October 2014 - 12:11 PM) Happy Birthday to Daneela
Bonnie : (21 October 2014 - 11:25 AM) Should be good now, Dawn
Dawn13 : (20 October 2014 - 11:45 AM) Bonnie - I cannot message you
Bonnie : (20 October 2014 - 11:43 AM) Hi all you new people! Welcome!  I hope we can help in whatever way you need.
Chloe4230 : (20 October 2014 - 10:06 AM) New to the site. Hi all.
TJDavies : (20 October 2014 - 08:15 AM) I GOT MY NEW BINDERRRR :D
AVPerry : (20 October 2014 - 01:03 AM) I just updated my posted in Trans Books and Print Media..check it out! Stay Blessed x
AmberShock : (19 October 2014 - 03:38 PM) Hi everyone, I'm new to the forum, can't wait to explore and make some new friends.
AVPerry : (19 October 2014 - 01:31 PM) I just posted in Trans Books and Print Media..check it out! Stay Blessed x
sarah1 : (19 October 2014 - 12:20 PM) hi
GypsyMen : (19 October 2014 - 12:17 AM) Hello hello.. New here happy to meet you all
AVPerry : (18 October 2014 - 03:49 PM) Add me, I want to reach out to transgender people all round the world
CharityLynnC... : (18 October 2014 - 02:10 PM) *points to her topic in transgender care*
Dawn13 : (16 October 2014 - 08:17 PM) Again Thanks Monica - I have a new FB account and a new e-mail where I can be free.
Dawn13 : (16 October 2014 - 05:41 PM) Thanks - Monica
MonicaPz : (16 October 2014 - 04:03 PM) The safest way to set up two FB accounts is to have two e-mail addresses (one Dawn, the other your male name), two snail mail addresses (Dawn would have a P.O. Box, your male self, street address, etc.  Keep ALL information TOTALLY DIFFERENT between the two FB accounts.
Dawn13 : (16 October 2014 - 07:14 AM) Can anyone direct me to a good set of info on how to set up a second FB account using Dawn as my site name.  Regretfully, I still have to live two lives and do not wish to have FB join the two of them.  Maybe this is impossible.
Dawn13 : (16 October 2014 - 05:59 AM) Please send me mail - plenty of room in my mailbox now!
Dawn13 : (16 October 2014 - 04:44 AM) Now it is my mailbox that is full - Will clear ASAP!
Dawn13 : (15 October 2014 - 06:21 PM) Hello msaleemb

Facebook 'Like' Got Him Fired (w/Video)

gay rights anti-gay firing anti-gay harassment Peter TerVeer John Mech LGBT workplace issues LGBT rights

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

UsernameOptional

UsernameOptional

Forum Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,776 posts
Posted: 04/12/2012 12:45 pm
Updated: 04/12/2012 12:50 pm
"...Peter TerVeer now says he was subjected to harassment after his manager John Mech learned he was gay after he liked the "Two Dads" page on Facebook, a group for same-sex parents which helps "promote the gay and lesbian community..."

Peter TerVeer, Gay Library Of Congress Employee, Claims Facebook 'Like' Got Him Fired

Let there be light...and blind the unenlightenable! -DML/2006

tbirdgal

tbirdgal

Advanced Member / Editor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,091 posts
  • Interests:writing, photography, history. archecture, service station stuff, decent coffee
Hopefully, this will serve as a warning to you all. Some of you may think I'm just some Right wing nut job . No, I'm a conservative , only I'm the real deal . I want the least possible government and the least possible intrusion on my personal affairs .

http://www.investope...x#axzz1rtFckYtY

O K , don't coma cryin to me ......................

UsernameOptional

UsernameOptional

Forum Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,776 posts
"Hopefully, this will serve as a warning to you all." -Ellen
In the mid-90's, people wondered why I didn't have a webpage.  Everyone had a webpage.  That was the thing.   You made a webpage and filled it with pictures of family and friend, and told the world about your vacation and how many awards your kid got.  I never saw the sense in it.  Later, having a webpage morphed into having a website.  You filled the website with all the stuff above, plus some.  It was also a vehicle to voice your feelings on the current events.  I still never saw the sense in it.

Somewhere along the line, and I dunno in what order, we got myspace, blogs, vlogs, tweets and status updates, and probably more that I don't even know about.

Myspace seemed to turn into nothing but a place where promiscuous [teenaged] girls could post their dirty little pictures - and their parents weren't the wiser until she ticked off another girl and her parents got an anonymous tip.  Or worse... a pic.  In another post, I mentioned that I once created an account, but it was only to gain access to something a member invited people to check out.

I never had time for blogs - I was too busy chatting, and playing computer games, online games, and finding programs and music I could download for free - all in relative anonymity.  And of course working and real-time hobbies.  Then web cams came along.  People were constantly bugging me about getting a web cam - "that way we can see each other when we're chatting."  <_<   I eventually got a web cam - it came with the computer I bought, but I couldn't tell ya where it is right now to save my life. :lol:  That's what I think about a web cam.  Although I did have my fair share of fun looking at the web cam transmissions of women who found an outlet for their inner stripper.   Hey...if a woman's gonna put it out there...<shrugs>.   Anyway....I'm sure you can guess that I never did vlogs.

One day, a whole lotta people are gonna be a whole lotta sorry they put a whole lotta stuff out here in cyberspace.  But then...I guess maybe it doesn't really have to be a whole lot.  All Peter TerVeer did was clik a "like" button.  But somewhere out there...that button had to have been linked to a whole lotta identifying information.  I'm not saying his firing is justified - 'cause it isn't.  But maybe if he didn't have enough info out here in cyberspace for his intolerant boss(es) to connect the dots...he'd probably still be working.  

Daneela

Daneela

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 661 posts
  • Interests:Needlecraft, baking, computing, F&SF
I've also resisted Facebook and Twitter.  I did sign up on Linked In once because my employer and some co-workers were there but I have not maintained my account.  I siimply ignore the "invites" in my e-mail and don't go to the site. My family - wife, daughter and gkids - all have facebook and use it to keep each other informed at some level. I'm concerned about my now teen granddaughter.  She's small and beautiful to me but probably not to many. I wish she not be hurt more than enough as she grows up.

Because I was bullied so much, I became a very quiet, very scared kid. I already knew I should change my sex before adolescense.  I was certain what would happen if I didn't hide.  True, I wanted very much to die but wouldn't risk a failed suicide. Those are still true.

This is the only site where I socialize. Thanks for liking me.

Bonnie

Bonnie

Senior Moderator

• Moderators
  • 2,159 posts
In this particular case it just took one manager to take it upon himself to attempt to "save" Peter.  When he saw he couldn't he decided to fire him, like he is the all powerful.  Firing someone from their livelyhood should not be so simple.  I would like it explained to me how it was so simple.  Now there will be an investigation and hopefully a resolution by compensation to Peter, his job back, demotion or removal from overseeing people of the manager and a process for terminating someone's employment that goes through more people than just one.  If the process did go through multiple hands then what happened here cannot be allowed to happen again.

Bonnie

UsernameOptional

UsernameOptional

Forum Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,776 posts
"Firing someone from their livelyhood should not be so simple. I would like it explained to me how it was so simple." -Bonnie
Believe it or not, and unfortunately, in this country (the "great United States" of the North American Continent), there are states that have what is call the "at will" law.  Basically, and coldly simple, it means an employer can walk in and fire you on the spot without warning or reason..."Employment at will is a legal concept referred to as the Doctrine of Employment at Will. It essentially means that, in the absence of employment contracts (such as collective bargaining agreements) that indicate otherwise, employers generally may fire employees for any reasons, no reasons and even unfair reasons, as long as they are not illegal reasons."

There are apparently some exceptions in some states, and provisions scattered about in a few states that would somewhat protect an employee from this law, but no doubt most employers probably know how to work around those protections.  I dunno what the case is where TerVeer worked...but it's possible that had his boss been smart (I say that with sarcasm), he would have fired him without a reason instead of doing so because the guy is gay.

Source:  Employment at Will States
Other Reading:  At-will employment, Wrongful Termination of At Will Employment

Bonnie

Bonnie

Senior Moderator

• Moderators
  • 2,159 posts
I also do not understand how managers feel so safe in their office environment as if they never leave it to go home or anywhere else and no one they crapped on at the office would ever pay them a visit out on the street somewhere.  When I was young and in my mid-20s and very wild I had a manager who pissed me off.  I told my coworkers, who were a lot like me, that if I was not such a calm person I would get a few of my unsavory friends and pay the manager a visit and beat the living daylights out of him.  But I didn't.  I just shook my head and smiled and said to myself, "he better hope we don't cross paths in some dark back street someday because he won't know what or who hit him."  Of course, others have felt the same way and have walked into their place of work with a gun and began shooting. Then people wonder why.  Laws like "... employers generally may fire employees for any reasons, no reasons and even unfair reasons, as long as they are not illegal reasons."

Bonnie

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: gay rights, anti-gay firing, anti-gay harassment, Peter TerVeer, John Mech, LGBT workplace issues, LGBT rights

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users