Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Life After the Westboro Baptist Church

14 posts in this topic

Posted

I ran across this while looking for news articles that might be of interest to everyone. I think we're all familiar with Fred Phelps and his funeral-crashing congregation. But I had never heard of Nate Phelps, let alone how he escaped the madness. His story is proof that people can change...

Posted: 04/12/2012 1:12 pm

"Little by little I boxed up my meager belongings and hid them in the garage. By this time all trust in my father had been destroyed, so when he quizzed me about my plans, I didn't hesitate to lie. When other family members inquired, I knew my response would get back to him, so I lied." -Nate Phelps

Life After the Westboro Baptist Church

Posted

Michael, jus like Ole Jerry Falwell, I can't post it publicly here , but the difference betwwen his nephew and him , priceless. See, his nephew an I used to work in the same place . Trust me , his views wern't close to Uncle Jerry's . I'm also aware of Nate Phellps too.

Posted

"... I learned that the best way to destroy a prejudice was to have the courage to encounter those we have learned to prejudge. The perceived differences dissipate like a fog in sunlight, and we discover that they are us."

Excellent!

"... love is wise, hatred is foolish."

This is the center of what religion should be about. Everything else should be on how to attain this.

Bonnie

Posted

Daughters of Westboro Baptist Church leader quit over gay hate

Two women have apologized for the pain they have caused while they were part of the 'God Hates Fags' church

07 February 2013 | By Joe Morgan

" ‘In a city in a state in the center of a country lives a group of people who believe they are the center of the universe; they know Right and Wrong, and they are Right." --advocate.com

1 person likes this

Posted

Yea Westboro Baptist Church does nothing but to push people away from the real truth. We do not live under Old Testament rules. We live under the New Testament grace of God. I feel that Westboro is nothing more than a cult. a cult based in fear. To say God hates this person and that person....that deceives so many. Read your Bible Westboro...God does not hate anyone.

Posted

I just hope that Nate will not permanently turn his back on God. I can see him helping others who have been damaged by Fred Phelps' teaching and example.

2 people like this

Posted

Daughters of Westboro Baptist Church leader quit over gay hate

Two women have apologized for the pain they have caused while they were part of the 'God Hates Fags' church

07 February 2013 | By Joe Morgan

" ‘In a city in a state in the center of a country lives a group of people who believe they are the center of the universe; they know Right and Wrong, and they are Right." --advocate.com

What they do from here on out will determine if they are sincere. They could look at Jesus' example at loving those who were killing him. They could work with LGBTQ people and share the real truth could do wonders.

1 person likes this

Posted

The Patriarch is out, but the hate goes on....

Fred Phelps Ex-Communicated and Near Death?

The Westboro Baptist Church founder was booted from his own sect and is now suicidal and near death, according to his estranged son.

BY Neal Broverman | March 16 2014 1:41 PM ET

"I've learned that my father, Fred Phelps, Sr., pastor of the "God Hates Fags" Westboro Baptist Church, was ex-communicated from the "church" back in August of 2013. He is now on the edge of death at Midland Hospice house in Topeka, Kansas.

I'm not sure how I feel about this. Terribly ironic that his devotion to his god ends this way. Destroyed by the monster he made.

I feel sad for all the hurt he's caused so many. I feel sad for those who will lose the grandfather and father they loved. And I'm bitterly angry that my family is blocking the family members who left from seeing him, and saying their good-byes." --advocate.com

Posted

Belief systems are one of the most difficult things people have a hard time changing or acknowledging their error. People like this say that 'I'm always right, you're definitely wrong '. It's sad that people cannot pay their respects because others feel that they betrayed Fred Phelps. More than that, they went against his belief system.

Posted

Now that the Phelps family is on the other side of the picket line ....

Phelps Funeral

Mar 21, 2014

"“This is a very difficult time for us,” the statement reads, “so we ask that the public have a little decency and respect by allowing us to mourn a great man who served God and tried to protect America from the threat of fags and perverts (i.e. gays and U.S. soldiers).”" --dailycurrant.com

:wacko: While even in the grips of grief themselves, they continue to spew their vile hate in peoples' faces and at the same time have the nerve to ask for decency and respect from the same society they condemned to hell.

Also... according to some experts, the Westboro Baptist Church may close after Fred Phelps' death, --gaystarnews.com

Posted

Should there be demonstrations held at his funeral or should it be shown how it is done and not do anything and leave them in peace? I don't think they could appreciate the gesture other wise I would say leave them alone. Then again there will be children there, I am not sure what should be done.

Bonnie

Posted

Gaystarnews.com always has a survey on some current topic - they had one asking if people should demonstrate at Phelps' funeral. The majority of voters indicated that people should not demonstrate. I myself voted "no."

But at the same time, I would love to see thousands of people crash Phelps' funeral, just to give his followers (including his own family members that hated right along with him, child or not) a taste of their own medicine. On the other hand, it would be very distressing on those attenting Phelps' funeral who liked or loved the man that family members claim most people didn't know.

Perhaps it's best that people don't picket that funeral. Phelps and the WBC have gotten enough attention and press. Perhaps the only people who will attend Phelps' funeral will be his family (what's left of it) and congregation... which apparently number less than 50. I would say to not picket will give them little to talk about...but instead hopefully make them realize that Phelps was hated more than they could have imagined, so much so that people did not even come out to pay their respects.

I've wrestled with my feelings on the passing of this man. At first I was glad, but then I felt bad for having such feelings. I knew those feelings were wrong, and of course I know that there are those who loved him...and they are now mourning their loss. With the help of someone very special, though, she helped me realize that it was not so much the man that I was glad was gone...but what he represented.

-Michael

1 person likes this

Posted

They are a cult ruled by hate and bigotry, and no respect for anyone other than their own group of mentally ill followers. I wouldn't waste my time with this man who did no good for the world. Mr. Phelps must be having an interesting conversation with his maker.

3 people like this

Posted

Yea Westboro Baptist church has no idea of what it means to follow Christ. I will not judge Phelps or his followers. Not my place. I only know that God does not hate anyone. Search the Bible. You will find that to be true. The Bible says,God is Love. God hates sin, but not the sinner. If God hated sinners, I would be at the top of the list. . And as Lori said, don't waste the time. He will be judged.

1 person likes this