7 posts in this topic

Posted

Posted: 04/18/2012 10:54 am Updated: 04/18/2012 11:43 am

"Tyrrell says she assumed the role of den leader -- a post she held for over a year -- after registering her son for the Boy Scouts last year. "Throughout the year, my cubs performed volunteer service at a local soup kitchen, collected canned goods for area churches to distribute in food baskets, participated in bell-ringing for the Salvation Army..."

Jennifer Tyrrell, Boy Scout Den Mother, Forced To Resign Because She Is A Lesbian

Posted

Tell the Boy Scouts of America to reconsider its policy of exclusivity against LGBT youth and leaders

Sign the petition: http://www.glaad.org/equalityscouts

Posted

Signing the petition is quick and easy. I've signed. You also have the option of not having your signature made public.

Posted

Most of us know the Boy Scouts have changed their long standing policy of excluding gay youth, but they have chosen to continue excluding gay adults. That obviously (but apparently not to them) sends a clearly negative message about gay people. It isn't a stretch to include transgender people in that negative connotation. This video celebrates the success of social pressures on the Boy Scouts organization, but there is still work to be done.

1 person likes this

Posted

To me, it's a bittersweet day. Gay adults aren't allowed to be involved.Transgender people aren't allowed also. I was a scout and really enjoyed my time. Many folks like Jennifer are barred simply because of who they are.

:(

Posted

It certainly is bittersweet, Gennee. Hopefully, it is the beginning of the end of all discrimination in the scouts (both boys and girls) - not just for the scouts, but for the men and women who lead them.

-Michael

Posted

What's happening is that gay youth are being robbed of interacting with adults

who understand their needs and their struggles. When a young person (or anyone for

that matter) has someone who sees THEM, it makes all the difference in the world.

It shows the straight scouts and leaders that they are just as capable. Now we need to

allow transgender boys in the scouts.

:)

2 people like this