6 posts in this topic

Posted

Posted: 04/18/2012 12:27 pm

""I came out and basically made a personal apology to [LGBT] folks for really not understanding their issues, not really taking the time to understand their lives and really not doing my homework,”"

Mormon Church Shifting Its Views On Homosexuality, Say Gay Rights Activists (w/video)

Posted

Yes, many need to 'repent'. It starts with one.

Wasn't sure what he meant when he said "Who would want to make an eagle be a giraffe. Who would want a tiger to be a bear? etc"

What did that mean?

Bonnie

Posted

"Wasn't sure what he meant when he said "Who would want to make an eagle be a giraffe. Who would want a tiger to be a bear? etc" What did that mean?" -Bonnie

We appreciate these animals for what they are, their differences. Perhaps this was his way of trying to demonstrate that if we would not want an eagle to be or act like a giraffe, or a tiger to be or act like a bear... we should not expect the transperson to be or act like something he or she is not, and people should appreciate our differences.

Posted

There are constants that run through anti-LGBTQI folks. This person expressed one of them in that he faled to do his homewoork. It's amazing when finds that what they believed all along is all wrong. Some will contiinue to be phobes because they are faced with choice of changing their views. This is not easy for such people. Hopefully, he will interact with LGBT people and do what he can to be an ally.

Posted

I don't mean to sound unappreciative and I do respect Bishop Kloosterman's brave, heartfelt stance BUT...

I've long said that churches will approve of LGBT rights and membership within their congregations once it becomes more financially lucrative for them to do so. In other words, as long as they bring in more money by advocating bigotry, that's exactly what they'll do. Those days are numbered as our society opens up more and LGBT people no longer need to live in the closet. We are a huge population that can no longer be suppressed by bigotry.

I can't help but think the Mormon Church felt a financial backlash from their support of Proposition 8 in California. Now all of a sudden they are rethinking their position. Sorry, it's too little, too late far as I'm concerned. We're seeing more and more churches rethinking their positions. That's because there is big money to be made. If it was from the good religious kindness in their hearts, then why did they support Prop 8? Why didn't they change their position many years ago when it wasn't quite so politically correct to support LGBT rights?

Sorry for the mini-rant... just gotta keep it real. I am bitter that the churches have made so many of our lives a living hell.

1 person likes this

Posted

@ #Lori .... If I could click that "Like" button more than once... I would.

(:lol: I just went all twitter (or facebook...which ever) with the strange punctuation marks, eh?? Still won't be making an account, though...)

1 person likes this