Change
VISITORS: Your access to view photos and site information is limited as a guest.
Click here to join now

Toggle shoutbox Shoutbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

pushkal : (27 November 2014 - 05:05 PM) Happy Thanksgiving
jennifer38 : (27 November 2014 - 07:10 AM) Happy Thanksgiving and God bless everyone.
UsernameOpti... : (27 November 2014 - 12:57 AM) Happy Turkey Day to all our American members where ever they may be.
EmmaSweet : (26 November 2014 - 04:41 PM) To everyone at TG Guide: thank you dearly for your support and friendship. I wish a very Happy Thanksgiving to you and yours.
MonicaPz : (26 November 2014 - 04:11 PM) Cross2play, you have a link that takes me directly to your videos?  Thanks!
TechCherry3g : (26 November 2014 - 03:14 PM) Happy Thanksgiving!
Gennee : (26 November 2014 - 03:14 PM) Happy Thanksgiving!
cross2play : (25 November 2014 - 06:50 PM) And subscribe so I can make more videio's :)
cross2play : (25 November 2014 - 06:47 PM) jennifer38 watch my youtube channel - its exactly for conflicting self's!
EmmaSweet : (25 November 2014 - 04:42 PM) I'd found it this morning in the Hurfington Post and added it as a comment to my blog post on depression and suicide: http://www.huffingto...lar,transgender
CharityLynnC... : (25 November 2014 - 04:35 PM) yw ... postively trans facebook group  posted this and ive been posting this everywhere i can
UsernameOpti... : (25 November 2014 - 04:16 PM) A big thanks to Charity Lynn for finding this website.  We have added this link to the list of online resources in the Mental Health and Crisis Intervention forum.   As always, if you or someone you know is in IMMEDIATE danger of harm, dial 911 or the emergency number in your area.
CharityLynnC... : (25 November 2014 - 01:24 PM) if you know anyone in the transgender community who is feeling suicidal..please give them this website that has a  number they can call for help. http://www.translifeline.org/
jennifer38 : (25 November 2014 - 11:54 AM) I got my blog up and running!  Hallelujah!
jennifer38 : (25 November 2014 - 10:49 AM) I've been trying, all day, to start a blog.  I created it, but I can't find where to type the main text of my entries.  For now, I seem to have the easiest time with the shoutbox.  I know I'm heard, here, for sure, and I can easily find other stuff I've already typed, here.
CharityLynnC... : (25 November 2014 - 10:23 AM) transgender suicide hotline has arrived for those in need. http://www.translifeline.org/
EmmaSweet : (25 November 2014 - 07:21 AM) Hi Jennifer, I suggest you start a blog on this topic and any others that you have now or later. I'm sure there are people here, like me, who would be happy to help however we can.
pushkal : (25 November 2014 - 05:34 AM) Hello to all
jennifer38 : (25 November 2014 - 04:36 AM) Good morning all.  Its after 7 AM Eastern.  Cold weather's coming back to PA.  Yuck.  Anyway, in response to someone I read, I would like to start a thread on my unique issues.  I wonder if this is what intersexed is.  When setting up my account, I wasn't sure which gender option to choose.  All I know is, I want to honestly state my true physical makeup as a man, but just as honestly confess my internal female feelings.  I've always wanted to meet other people in my exact situation.  I trust I am not alone in this, and this forum is a great way to vent these feelings I cannot just tell anyone.  At least I shouldn't be criticized or judged for this.  I'd certainly get it if I told family and church members.  I've hinted at it to my family, but I definitely did not go into all the vivid detail like I'm doing here.
pushkal : (25 November 2014 - 02:09 AM) I had purchased The Ultimate Genital Hiding Gaff Pink "Satin"

Title VII Protection for Transgender Americans

transgender rights united states Anti-Discrimination Laws

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

Lori

Lori

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,435 posts
  • Interests:Travel, horses, scuba diving, computers
Transgender Breakthrough

EEOC ruling that gender-identity discrimination is covered by Title VII is a ''sea change'' that opens the doors to employment protection for transgender Americans

Metro Weekly "An employer who discriminates against an employee or applicant on the basis of the person's gender identity is violating the prohibition on sex discrimination contained in Title VII of the Civil Rights Act of 1964, according to an opinion issued on April 20 by the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission (EEOC). The opinion, experts say, could dramatically alter the legal landscape for transgender workers across the nation..." http://www.metroweek...m/news/?ak=7288
If you want what you've never had, you've got to do what you've never done.

tbirdgal

tbirdgal

Advanced Member / Editor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,091 posts
  • Interests:writing, photography, history. archecture, service station stuff, decent coffee
O K , what does that mean in states that allow for "Open Shop " laws . Translate to english, Unions are optional ............

Gennee

Gennee

• Moderators
  • 1,709 posts
  • Interests:Poetry, Writing, Reading, Running, Soccer, Transgender Issues, Christianity, documentaries, electronics, bass guitar, lighthouses, castles.
I wonder how this would work in NYS. I'll have to read the article in depth.

UsernameOptional

UsernameOptional

Forum Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,798 posts
I don't know if this would cover any employer...but if a business claims to be an "EEOC Employer," that means they aren't supposed to discriminate based on the provisions set forth by the EEOC.  However, I don't know what is required of a business to make the claim of being an EEOC employer.  Can they just say they are?  Or must they meet certain criteria?

In the Vandy Beth Glen case, an 11th Circuit panel ruled that Glen's termination constituted sex discrimination.  "...the Court concluded that discriminatory state action could not stand on the basis of gender stereotypes. The Court’s more recent cases reiterate that the Equal Protection Clause does not tolerate gender stereotypes. Accordingly, governmental acts based upon gender stereotypes–which presume that men and women’s appearance and behavior will be determined by their sex–must be subjected to heightened scrutiny because they embody “the very stereotype the law condemns.

"We conclude that a government agent violates the Equal Protection Clause’s prohibition of sex-based discrimination when he or she fires a transgender or transsexual employee because of his or her gender non-conformity.
"

It seems to be coming to light that there are currently a few laws at the federal level that protect us...so it seems to me that a state could not supercede any federal laws concerning sex discrimination - at least when it comes to city, county, state and federal employees.  It seems to me that between federal laws and the EEOC, with the help of the ACLU and LAMBDA...employers would not take a chance on discriminating against any employee.  I realize we can't all be government employees...but there are many civilian businesses that claim to be EEOC employers.

Sounds good on the outside, but I'm sure we're all aware there are ways to fire an employee or avoid hiring someone based on the very criteria that is meant to protect any of us that fall into the protected groups from such wrong-doings.  And of course, there are entities like the Georgia General Assembly, for whom Glen worked, whose arrogance and bigotry is deep-rooted, and could very well file an appeal to the full 11th Circuit or even the U.S. Supreme Court if they haven't already.

I would think, however, if they were smart...they will have accepted the 11th Circuit panel's decision, and gone on about every day life.

-Michael

Let there be light...and blind the unenlightenable! -DML/2006

Brittany

Brittany

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 85 posts
  • Interests:Art, Anime, RPGs, Manga, Books, Film, TV, webdesign, graphic design, Transgender studies and medicine
Kind of Surprised no one has posted this one yet. Basically it sums up that according to EEOC transgender people are covered by federal law to protected by discrimination in job hunts, falling under the case of sex discrimination. This break open the doors that are shut in 30+ states.

http://transgenderla...ms/blogs/552-24
Imbria arts Online
Posted Image
Check out the monthly discussion blog @ Path of the Butterflies
Also check out my other books and comics
Demon Blade (monthly ecomic series), Sweet Dreams (Ecomic), 11 Kingdoms (Science Fiction Novel), Gloria's Gospel (Dark comedy and faith based story) all on Amazon.com and more
Posted Image

Lori

Lori

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,435 posts
  • Interests:Travel, horses, scuba diving, computers
I've merged your post Brittany. We had posted the story, using a different source and title. This is great news!
If you want what you've never had, you've got to do what you've never done.

Phoebe

Phoebe

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 100 posts
  • Interests:Computers, crossdressing
Transgender Employees Now Protected By Anti-Discrimination Law After 'Landmark' EEOC Ruling: http://www.huffingto..._n_1449282.html

tbirdgal

tbirdgal

Advanced Member / Editor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,091 posts
  • Interests:writing, photography, history. archecture, service station stuff, decent coffee
janet , I suspected the headline and this is what I found . First, this ruling only affects FEDERAL employees . This means for the 99 an 1/2 % of America not involved within a protected "Fed Job", uh were, S. O. L...........................

Gennee

Gennee

• Moderators
  • 1,709 posts
  • Interests:Poetry, Writing, Reading, Running, Soccer, Transgender Issues, Christianity, documentaries, electronics, bass guitar, lighthouses, castles.
It's good on the federal level but doesn't affect the states. Here in New York State the are currently no protections  for transgender folks.

Brittany

Brittany

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 85 posts
  • Interests:Art, Anime, RPGs, Manga, Books, Film, TV, webdesign, graphic design, Transgender studies and medicine
As I understand it if a company claims to follow the regulations of EEOC which is posted in many stores and companies nation wide then if they choose to discriminate a trans person then they are in violation of Federal Law period doesn't matter what state your in. Now a simple solution for most of the ones in states that still discriminate could be by stating in court they don't follow EEOC in their store but this will be determined by each individual case.
Imbria arts Online
Posted Image
Check out the monthly discussion blog @ Path of the Butterflies
Also check out my other books and comics
Demon Blade (monthly ecomic series), Sweet Dreams (Ecomic), 11 Kingdoms (Science Fiction Novel), Gloria's Gospel (Dark comedy and faith based story) all on Amazon.com and more
Posted Image

UsernameOptional

UsernameOptional

Forum Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,798 posts
I was also under the impression that the EEOC applied to more than just government entities.  I have seen commercials from a local business that advertises when it is looking for applicants.  Part of the commercial advises viewers that the company is an "equal opportunity employer,"  and on their website, there is a link which leads to their annual EEO public file report.  

Perhaps this is something different, but even if it is...information on these pages leads me to believe that the provisions of the EEOC are not just for government employees ...   
http://en.wikipedia....nity_employment ,wikipedia
http://en.wikipedia....nity_Commission ,wikipedia
http://www.eeoc.gov/ ,EEOC website

Let there be light...and blind the unenlightenable! -DML/2006

Daneela

Daneela

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 661 posts
  • Interests:Needlecraft, baking, computing, F&SF
To quote from the Huffington Post, which quotes the person cited:

Masen Davis of the Transgender Law Center told Metro Weekly that the decision is a ''big leap forward.''

"Transgender people already face tremendous rates of discrimination and unemployment,” Davis told the Washington Blade. “The decision today ensures that every transgender person in the United States will have legal recourse to employment discrimination, and with it a way to safeguard their access to vital employment benefits such as health insurance and retirement savings plans.”

I see only the positive in this ruling. The EEOC is not concerned only with the Federal employers but will every employer in the United States. Employers do not have to earn qualification as an Equal Opportunity Employer. Employing people in the United States is the only qualification necessary. Every company in America is required to follow American law in its business practices, even where their office is in a country with a contradictory law such as those about bribes and kickbacks and discriminations that are so common in other countries.

53 regional offices will be implementing this policy. As usual, some will lag others, their executives hoping the whole thing will just go away because they don't share the same opinion as the commisioners. Since I was fired in Irving, TX, and both was and am a resident of SC, I may have 2 regional offices that I can apply to. Can't hurt. I still have the facts to back my case against their assertions that I failed at my job. I still have the names of the witnesses who were on my side then. I remember my manager's name, too, though not all of my coworkers. I can probably find them in my e-mail archives or where I keep my resume, as well as in the hard-copies of the data.

If I win, will I seek to return to that job? Absolutely YES! That was the last "permanent" position I've had. Before and after, I've been employed only about half the time while I search for the next opportunity and receive unemployment checks the other half. That was among the best paying jobs I've ever had. That was a job I was made for. That is now a very large part of an even larger international company with anti-discrimination policies covering the LGB community as well.

If I'd had the money and time, I'd have fought back then, but i hadn't then and haven't caught up with the bills that firing brought about even yet. Besides that, I lost the motivation when even the VP took for granted that I was a pervert and wouldn't even sit next to me as I was being fired. He moved his chair as far away from me as he could and still be at the table while the manager detailed his trumped up charges. Even more, that group is now at the center of the American business's entire product line. If I win from them, it's a total win, no matter what else.

If you've read my posts and my blog enough to get to know the real me, you are probably pretty sure of how cautious, hell - cynical, I can be. For me to not be cynical about this event must be quite extraordinary. To me, this isn't only "a sea change," it's an interplantary change.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: transgender rights, united states, Anti-Discrimination Laws

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users