Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Transsexual Woman Ticketed for Using Ladies Room

17 posts in this topic

Posted

Transsexual Woman Ticketed for Using Ladies Room

NBC 5 Dallas-Fort Worth (blog)

A Dallas transsexual woman was issued a ticket for using the women's restroom at Parkland Hospital. Parkland police cited Paula Witherspoon, whose legal name is Paul Witherspoon, for disorderly conduct on April 25. "It was definitely humiliating...

Posted

Lori, in Virginia , they just give ya 30 days in da local hotel.....................

Posted

"...Whitherspoon says she has been contacted by an openly gay member of Parkland's board of directors who's asked to meet with her at her home tomorrow to personally apologize." -Ellen Goldberg, nbcdfw.com

This sounds patronizing on the part of Parkland Hospital. Why did the apology have to be made by a gay member of the board... or, why was it important to report that the apology would be made by a gay member of the board? Or, why did Parkland feel it was necessary to impart this info.

I don't understand this. Does Parkland think the apology will mean more coming from someone from the GLBT community? Or did no other board member want to deal with the situation?

And maybe I'm being a little sensative and critical...but why was it necessary for the camera to zoom in on Whitherspoon's chin during the taping of the interview? Was this to show the viewing public that she is "not really a woman?" Was it to justify the convictions of the woman who made the complaint - "see, see? It's a man!"

<_<

Posted

Sombody buy Michael a beer , right now .................. PLEASE ! :D :D

1 person likes this

Posted

Humiliating a person is a tool used to silence or shame an individual.

2 people like this

Posted

Hard to believe this is still happening in the 21st Century -- It's outrageous. The US is, in many ways, still a barbaric country driven by misguided self-righteous zealots. I cannot imagine the emotional trauma this is causing Ms. Witherspoon.

1 person likes this

Posted

@Lori: This is so true! I have a degree in cultural anthropology and the fact is we may be the most sophisticated nation on Earth, but we are far from the most cilivized and we rank as one of the lowest first world countries in terms of education. When a nation fails to educate, stereotypical ignorance is pressented ample opportunity to breed.

@usernameoptional: due to the insecurities of others in our society the petty and frivilous serve to validate their own willful ignorance. They use it as a means of justification because in their heart they know they are wrong. They are simply trying to convince themselves they are not the evil one.

It is surprising in Dallas however this would happen. Dallas is a protected city. Many, many times I used the proper rest room there and never had an issue. I suppose its a just a matter of the luck of the draw. But then again, they were in Texas... where everything is bigger, including the Status Quo

2 people like this

Posted

This worries me for a convention I'll be attending in Dallas in June. I've only been confronted twice for using the men's restroom, oddly enough both times by Asian males, but I don't want to be arrested or ticketed for it. It's a hotel, so I don't know if that'll make any difference. :unsure:

Posted

Wow.

Well...if you are going to be staying in the same hotel, maybe it would be good to just make a dash for your room. You might also wanna scope out the surroundings and see if there are any single use/handicapped bathrooms. But if you've been using the men's room for some time now and have been snagged only twice... perhaps there will be no worries.

Something else that might be helpful...go for a bathroom break when most people will be tied up. For example, if I go to the movies, I don't go to the bathroom before the movie, and I don't go after - that's when everyone and their brother (or sister) is running to the bathroom. I go about 20 minutes into a movie.

-Michael

Posted

We'll be staying at a different hotel far enough away that we were going to use a tram to get from our hotel to the convention hotel, so the first suggestion is out unfortunately. There's so much going on at once that bathrooms will probably be unpredictable and probably crowded. I can't tell if there are any single stall/family/handicapped restrooms from the tiny maps they have up online, but I'll make sure to check on that when we get there. Thank you so much for the advice.

Posted

Another thought occurred to me - can you make a call to the hotel? You don't have to tell them who you are. Tell them you will be attending a conference, and because of "health problems," you would like to know in advance if they have any single-use/handicap bathrooms in the hotel.

-Michael

1 person likes this

Posted

Transgender woman on parole for child sex assault

KHOU

JAMES / WFAA DALLAS - According to state records, he was sentenced to 16 years for sexual assault of a child in 1990, and six years for indecency with a child.... Witherspoon is still on parole...

Oh god... I can just hear it now. Some people are going to surmise now that all transgender people are pedophiles. They will no doubt use this to bolster their arguments that transgender is an immoral lifestyle choice. Still, the two incidents appear to be completely unrelated (unless we hear something about a restroom in the modus operandi from the prior incident). Now I find myself wondering if that background didn't shape the reaction of the officer who could have used discretion, but decided to issue a criminal citation instead. ~ Lori

Posted

Oh god... I can just hear it now. Some people are going to surmise now that all transgender people are pedophiles. They will no doubt use this to bolster their arguments that transgender is an immoral lifestyle choice. Still, the two incidents appear to be completely unrelated (unless we hear something about a restroom in the modus operandi from the prior incident). Now I find myself wondering if that background didn't shape the reaction of the officer who could have used discretion, but decided to issue a criminal citation instead. ~ Lori

Uh Lori, they already do dear ! THEY ALREADY DO........

I have it first hand from people in North Carolina and some of the more "Rural " parts of Virginia too. Then too, I'm kinda suprised at Dallas as this is the kind of thing left for the mid Cires, ie Hurst, Bedford , Grand Prarieeand mabye Cleburne west of Ft Worth .

Posted

"Now I find myself wondering if that background didn't shape the reaction of the officer who could have used discretion, but decided to issue a criminal citation instead." ~ Lori

It's possible the citing officer didn't call in Whitherspoon's ID...I would think if he had, being that she is on parole and also has sexual assault on a child on her record, she might have been hauled in if for no other reason than to be more thoroughly questioned.

I hope that this news doesn't affect the decisions of any local governments currently working on non-descrimination codes or laws...or if anything is about to go the vote of its people, that this will not cause people to vote against equality and non-discrimination of transpeople.

1 person likes this

Posted

Now ain't that _A_Series_of_Unfortunate_Events ?

Posted

Paula Witherspoon might have endeared people to her after possibly being unjustly cited for using the women's restroom, but in light of turning out to be a convicted child molester... [trans]women have turned a cold shoulder to her. This is one story that [trans]people hope will blow over quick and be forgotten.

-Michael

Courtney O'Donnell

Posted 05.16.2012 5:26pm

"If entering a women's restroom at the Parkland Hospital is found to be in compliance with the conditions of her parole and no further charges stem from this incident, then Witherspoon's criminal history should not matter in this incident.

"The Dallas city anti-discrimination law supposedly doesn't apply to Parkland Hospital, because it is run by the county. The county's anti-discrimination policy only applies to county employees."

Sex-Offender Status Complicates Transgender Woman's Dallas Hospital Bathroom-Usage Citation