Followers 0

‘Cake Boss’ Bullies Transgender Woman

9 posts in this topic

Posted

http://www.newnownext.com/cake-boss-bullies-transgender-woman/06/2012/

‘Cake Boss’ Bullies Transgender Woman

June 12, 2012 ● by Chris Spargo

The gorgeous Carmen Carrera. Photo Credit: Steven Meisel

You know what’s a funny, funny way to get ratings? Do what the producers of Cake Boss did and get a transgender woman on your show, convince her that you are helping to promote awareness with her role on the program and then publicly shame and mock her. Hatred is hysterical!

Our friend Carmen Carrera from RuPaul’s Drag Race appeared on the show in a prank to lure one of the employees into flirting with her. She spoke with producers about the terminology she wanted to be used and how to use her appearance to further transgender awareness. This was all ignored according to her and she wrote on her Facebook page last night:

LET ME MAKE THIS VERY CLEAR! LISTEN UP PEOPLE! I signed on to do this episode of “Cake Boss” to promote EQUALITY. Transgender women are just as beautiful as biological woman and should be respected for that. The “reveal” was never meant to be a “Jerry Springer, ‘THATS A MAN’…” kind of thing. I was promised that it wasn’t going to be that way. I was lied to. I dont promote misleading someone or putting down the trans community. I am a beautiful transgendered woman and if a guy hits on me at a bar, ITS OK! That was the message. Hearing things like “You’ll never be a real woman” or “I hope you burn in hell for changing your gender” or “You will always be a man” is the EXACT TYPE OF IGNORANCE THAT THIS SHOW HELPED TO PROMOTE. This is why Im so upset. If men find me attractive and treat me as lady, why do some of you people think its wrong??? Why are some of you trying to take that away from me like I dont deserve to be treated with respect and admiration? Ignorance, thats why. STOP THE HATE AND PASS THIS ON.

For their part some of the sensitive, sensitive souls at Cake Boss then thought it would be funny to continue to shame Carmen after the episode aired. When someone mocked Anthony, the castmember the prank was played on, for kissing a man, Anthony had this to say: “hahaha nah I didn’t it give [sic] me a kiss on the cheek.”

“It” gave him a kiss on the cheek. What an amazing guy that Anthony must be.

Carmen’s fans (and fans of treating people like human beings) jumped into action last night, creating a Change.org petition demanding TLC and Cake Boss publicly apologize to the transgender community. Stay tuned for more on this developing story!

Posted

Another disappointing and unfortunate situation.... here's a clip [from the show]. See Buddy yell, "that's a man, baby!" (about the 1:15 mark in the vid)

Posted

"After social media leaped to Carmen’s defense and a Change.org petition demanded an apology from Cake Boss, Cousin Anthony Tweeted this mea culpa this afternoon..." -newnownext.com

'Cake Boss' Star Apologizes to Carmen Carrera

I read in a huffingtonpost.com article where Buddy Valastro is quoted as saying, "I am a supporter of gay rights and equality,..." and another article I read indicates that Valastro and his crew have made cakes for gay couples. It would interesting to know exactly what Valastro means when he uses the word "gay," and does he include transpeople in the mix. Personally...and despite the apology... I don't think so.

-Mike

Posted

I happened to still be up at 1am and idly picked up the remote and started surfing channels when I ran across an episode of "Cake Boss" that was just coming on. I looked at the TV schedule and realized that it was a re-airing of the first 30-minute show that ran on 11 June.

I noticed that another episode would be coming at 1:30am. I looked at the synopsis, and sure enough, it was the episode that is the topic of this thread, "Bar Mitzvah, Beads & Oh Baby!" So I stayed up to watch it. However, TLC apparently decided to pull that episode, and instead aired one from last fall.

"Bar Mitzvah, Beads & Oh Baby!" is scheduled to air twice more on 18 June, but considering it didn't re-run tonite, it might be safe to say that episode will never be aired again.

-Michael

Posted

I am wondering what Carmen thought this was all about in the first place? Set up the cousin by hoping he would fall head over heels for her because of her beauty and then what? Of course tell him Carmen is transgendered. Anthony is then supposed to say what? He loves transgendered women! Where is the 'prank' in that? It would have been great if that is how it happened but the chances were slim. Pranks are meant to be fun and are not supposed to hurt anyone. I understand what they were trying to do but it was not thought out completely.

Bonnie

Posted

I can't really see the purpose of her being there other than for what exactly happened nor can I see how editing would change anything. The episode should be burned and forgotten.

How should it have gone is what I am thinking now?

Maybe she could have been involved in making the cake and then later introduced to Anthony as a transgender guest who helped with the cake. Any part in a prank cannot go well for sure.

Bonnie

Posted

According to the article linked last by Lori, "Cousin Anthony" is a rival. That explains the reason for the prank and the Cake Boss's behavior; he just had to rub it in some more.

It's hard for me to believe that Carmen was naive enough to trust a "reality" show and TLC in particular. This is not the first "incident" TLC shows have "suffered." But, that's "reality" biz, I guess.