Member Ranks

15 posts in this topic

Posted

I was asked about member ranks used as designations on our profiles. A new member is considered a newbie until they have made 10 forum posts, regardless of how long they have actually been a member. So the way to advance is to make more posts. I'd be more than happy to consider other ideas for member ranks including titles and posting requirements, so feel free to share your thoughts.

Newbie 0 - 9 posts

Member 10 - 29 posts

Advanced Member 30+ posts

In addition, we have titles (Editor, Moderator and Administrator) for those who have taken on additional duties in the forums.

2 people like this

Posted

Lori, I may sound harsh , but leave it alone . Look, I belong to several forums , most of them have to do with the Antique car business. If yer a FNG, so be it . You want to be something ...................... PARTICIPATE!

2 people like this

Posted

I agree with Ellen, Lori. Ranks are meant to be earned. Personally, I think the numbers to achieve each rank should be higher. But then...I have never been concerned with the rankings. I didn't make posts to achieve ranks - I made them 'cause I thought I could contribute something useful to a thread, or the topic was interesting, or 'cause I had something to say... or thought I did :lol:

-Michael

2 people like this

Posted

I wondered how one was not considered new to the site and that explains it. I see now how the ranking system works and that makes sense. The numbers do not seem out of line to graduate from being green. I don't know how many read the posts and don't feel articulate enough to comment or are shy and try to just watch what others talk about. I would think the idea of the ranking is that someone new to the site can see if a member is at least a little bit experienced and may be helpful to them in gaining their own understanding of what is happening in their own TG journey. I know I looked for that when I first came to the site.

Yours G. Slightly Fading Nubile Nymph

2 people like this

Posted

Geogia , this site can be a godsend to folks in sooooooooooo many places not accessible to major Metropolitian areas. Here ,in America , yes several parts of Virginia would seem "Antiquated " to many travelers even today. I'm aware of both Cross Dressers and some day Transpeople in these places . With out the internet , these people self destruct into an abyss. I've seen the drug usage , alcoholism, and suicides . I have made a promise to all. In the event I ever do have the finial operation, I shall never leave my fellow "T " people . I shall always share my own experences , my talents and what ever resources I can ...........

3 people like this

Posted

"I don't know how many read the posts and don't feel articulate enough to comment or are shy and try to just watch what others talk about." -Georgia

I don't think it matters "how many" read a post - what matters is that someone does, and the replies that are posted. As for how articulate you believe you are or aren't, I personally have never had any trouble reading something that you've put up here at TGG. Occasionally, we have members who's native language is not English. Occasionally we have some who's native language IS English. But I believe the fault lies with the reader if they don't try to understand what the writer is trying say. The way I look at it, if the writer tried to reach out, someone is going to try to reach back.

I thought it ironic when I saw this thread yesterday after having read a status comment that you made - a status comment that I wished you had started a thread with. By creating a thread, that gives others a chance to read it, and reply if they have something to contribute. Some may see that status comment, but others may not because it might scroll off before they do. If they did have something to share, you and we will never know that.

I also hope that members are not sitting back withholding posts just because their rank is "newbie," and they feel they don't have a right to post. Likewise, just because a person has a high ranking, or a rank higher than "newbie," doesn't always mean that person is an authority. And for the latter, I will use myself as an example. I have 2,000+ posts, but that doesn't make me an authority. And my experiences are limited since I am not generally out. I share my feelings. I share my opinions. I give what support I can, as well as can be had in an online setting. Sometimes my opinions are not popular, sometime they help someone.

If we worry about how many read, and restrict ourselves from posting for the reason(s) you expressed...what would be the reason in a forum. No posts. Nothing to read. Nothing to reply to. No forum.

Post on, Georgia. Post on. ;) And anyone else, too.

-Michael

4 people like this

Posted

Michael

Thank-you for your words of clarity. Many are internet junkies and forum or chat experts but I have little experience in these areas. I have been trying to learn my way around FaceBook where you say anything and everyone sees it, so it is learning how each system works..I will take your advice and take my status update add a little to it, and start it as a thread in a posting. Your advice is much appreciated.

G

2 people like this

Posted

I also hope that members are not sitting back withholding posts just because their rank is "newbie," and they feel they don't have a right to post. Likewise, just because a person has a high ranking, or a rank higher than "newbie," doesn't always mean that person is an authority. And for the latter, I will use myself as an example. I have 2,000+ posts, but that doesn't make me an authority. And my experiences are limited since I am not generally out. I share my feelings. I share my opinions. I give what support I can, as well as can be had in an online setting. Sometimes my opinions are not popular, sometime they help someone.

Michiael, that part of you're post HAS TO RANK as one of the most PROLIFIC pieces I have seen on any forum any where in 2012 !

Thank You sir , thank you !!!!!!!!!!

2 people like this

Posted

9.gif
1 person likes this

Posted

I believe the rankings are fine , I don't think that any other form or formula is needed , it is ok to be a newbie for twenty years it doesn't mean your not active it just means your contemplating or agreeing with the other posts that have already stated what you thought about saying your self , I read many posts and never say a single thing why , because the following members that read it have made valid points that i might have said .

Hugs

Stephani

1 person likes this

Posted

and Senior Moderator for those who are older. Just kidding of course.

I have always thought that the rankings should have higher posting requisits but it wasn't something of great importance. Since it has become a topic however I will throw my 2 cents in.

Newbie - 0 to 24 posts

Member - 25 to 99 posts

Advanced Member - 100 to 999

Senior Member - 1,000+

Staff - Editor, Moderator, Senior Moderator and Administator.

not sure what the Editor does separately from the other staff

Bonnie

2 people like this

Posted

I just bacame a member today and I'm proud of that. I didn't rush posts to get to 10 and didn't really think about it until I saw my status was changed. Membership here makes me feel very good.

Thank you for including me in your wonderful community.

Emma

3 people like this

Posted

I just bacame a member today and I'm proud of that. I didn't rush posts to get to 10 and didn't really think about it until I saw my status was changed. Membership here makes me feel very good.

Thank you for including me in your wonderful community.

Emma

Awww...you were already a member - just a new one. And we're glad you are here.

-Michael

2 people like this

Posted

Bonnie,

Agree with you 100%.  Think you have the numbers absolutely correct. 

Monica

Posted

As Leonard Cohen said, "Just kids with a crazy dream..."

2 people like this