Change
VISITORS: Your access to view photos and site information is limited as a guest.
Click here to join now

Toggle shoutbox Shoutbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

UsernameOpti... : (14 April 2014 - 02:18 PM) Hello to:  StefanieStefani, Fred, Egc382, poshgirl, SabrinaFatale, LauriePlumb, Roberta4t, Way2beme, Crystal43938, moutaz123, lindsaysayland, Dialma, Rileytroop, volcrazy40, AbigailGreen, CBorden, Sabrina, amanstarr, yoloynot, Hesmyfriend, alexandrous and vigor003...Welcome to TGG
Hesmyfriend : (12 April 2014 - 11:23 PM) Hello to everyone.
Sabrina : (12 April 2014 - 12:00 AM) hello
AbigailGreen : (10 April 2014 - 11:10 AM) Hey am new to the site, just thought i'd say hi lol
stephani : (05 April 2014 - 10:29 PM) Hello and Welcome To All The New Members.
Egc382 : (05 April 2014 - 03:03 PM) Hello everybody, I just joined. Looking forward to interacting with everyone.
Fred : (04 April 2014 - 12:57 AM) Hey guys
UsernameOpti... : (03 April 2014 - 03:24 PM) Hello to:  Raisin, missdelecia, cat, Tgirlinodessa, kml, rashu, ronny, logstud3, teana87, KatyaMarincheva, MelanieH74, krenraf, Der48735, jesretoj, steve212, oneshyguy420, sarahlambert, bugswanny, frankmc73, ilovecrossdressing, Hannah, kittyxoxo, Niki, Kimmeycd, CandyCox, litimmy45, hcurt, ucyll, Pleasegetatme, monumentalaccount, Hisprincess101010, AshtonEcstacy, GarieJeane, Deegirl, Zohan, golferfan59 and brandystone53...Welcome to TGG
Zohan : (02 April 2014 - 10:10 AM) Hello everyone
GarieJeane : (01 April 2014 - 06:45 AM) Hello everyone
AshtonEcstacy : (01 April 2014 - 02:59 AM) ello
Sarah1967 : (26 March 2014 - 03:53 PM) Hi
Gennee : (26 March 2014 - 07:25 AM) Happy birthday,Trinity and Liz. :)
steve212 : (25 March 2014 - 03:34 PM) hi everybody
stephani : (24 March 2014 - 11:21 AM) Hello Every one I am not Dead nor have I forgotten about My favorite Group of loving individuals and family that I have here. I and April are doing what we can to survive and get through to the next day and she wishes everyone well and big hugs/
teana87 : (23 March 2014 - 04:48 PM) hi to all that  are on rigth now
freshstreams : (22 March 2014 - 12:04 PM) Poof!
Gennee : (18 March 2014 - 01:35 PM) Happy Birthday!
UsernameOpti... : (17 March 2014 - 06:30 PM) Hello to:  Evaxxx and sandal97...Welcome to TGG ...  A belated Welcome to:  myheartfourheart, tsjessy2, bernie, merrittjr, Kayla, Cfayton, triciamaddox2 & Berta82
UsernameOpti... : (08 March 2014 - 06:13 PM) Hello to:  manu, KatieAK, Reneigh, riley1999, Leslieuk, Mikki, ready2role, joe, paulroderberg, bgw622, Tyboo, CLCgod and CAMcCh...Welcome to TGG

Accessorize!

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

Bailey72

Bailey72

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
  • Interests:Everything is changing so fast, I really don't know anymore!
Accessorize that outfit! I am a transgirl in the very beginning of my transition, and I've been shopping a lot lately. I'm disappointed in the small selection and poor quality of the things I can find, so I've decided to do something about it. In my old life, I used to make custom leather products for fun, well, I still make things for fun, I also made custom jewelry. I wanted to know if others were having as hard a time finding quality jewelry that doesn't scream drag queen, but is delicate, femme and in larger sized proportionality to the MtF trans person? I wanted a simple anklet, but everything is 9 to 9 1/2 inches (too small by an inch or two), so I've decided to put my talents to the test and make my own. So I have a few questions for you all.

1. Would you buy custom made jewelry if it was delicate, feminine and made slightly longer to fit your wrists, necks, ankles?

2. Would you feel better knowing your purchases were helping support the transition of another trans person? (Not sure if I should disclose that the things I am making are for the TG made by a TG or just let the items speak for themselves.)

3. What would be a comfortable price to pay for custom made items. Necklaces, bracelets, earrings and anklets? (Trying to compile a list of materials that would suit the needs of my community and still make beautiful jewelry.)

4. With such varying tastes, is there such a thing as "too girly" for a transwoman?

I am trying to come up with 15 to 20 designs that are classy, delicate, very feminine and made of high quality materials but sticking to an affordable price point. I'm not looking to get rich making things, I just want to fill what I see as a void in our community. If I can make a little extra money to go towards my own path in the process than I'm ok with that as well.

Thanks in advance for your ideas and feedback! I'll post pictures of my work in a couple weeks after I have finalized the designs and made a few new items so everyone can see what I'm doing with the feedback I get from my peers.

XOXOXO,
Bailey

Bonnie

Bonnie

Senior Moderator

• Moderators
  • 2,071 posts
Hi Bailey,

I think it is a good idea.  You would have to open your own site of course.  I would buy jewelry if the price was low.  I think you should purposely sell to TGs and it should keep you busy enough.  Bracelets are always difficult to find and the tighter fitting necklaces too.  Clipon earrings are so hard to find.  Daily wear is what I would suggest since evening wear would start to become expensive and may be more difficult to make.

Bonnie

Bailey72

Bailey72

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
TY for your input Bonnie.

I am working on some designs for daily wear. Just as you suggested, I am focusing on daily wear, but really trying hard to keep the designs delicate and beautiful. I should have some pics up in a couple of weeks. I'll most likely create a facebook page for the jewelry so TG's all over the world can see and shop my offerings.

My primary materials right now are stainless steel jewelry wire (since it's doesn't tarnish or react with the skin), sterling silver spacers, link and components and swarovski crystals as well as natural stones like lapis lazuli, tiger's eye and turquoise. There are about a zillion choices for simple charms that can be added to the pieces, so as far as that is concerned, the possibilities are endless. I can make things with other natural stones and with gold elements but gold and some of the more rare or precious stones are a lot more expensive, so with affordability in mind, right now I am not making anything gold or more costly stones. (There are less expensive gold elements, but they are pretty low quality and I really want to make items that the transwoman will wear for a lifetime and pass on to their children or grandchildren.) There are some really nice synthetic stones that look like the natural stones that look very real and are quite affordable, so ladies wanting a certain stone look but are willing to use synthetic stones will still have those as an option in the design of their custom jewelry.

I'm also trying to figure out what measurements will work best for most ladies. I know from experience that off the shelf jewelry is usually much too short, but with transwomen having beautiful bodies of all shapes and sizes, finding a good median size to offer premade items is somewhat of a challenge, but I'm good at solving problems, so I'l figure it out. If some of our members would offer their measurements (wrist, ankle, comfortable neck length chain size) I could craft items that would fit most transwomen and still offer custom sizes for ladies needing something a little larger or smaller.

Lori

Lori

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,350 posts
  • Interests:Travel, horses, scuba diving, computers
I think it sounds like a good idea. You could list your creations on eBay also and set up a PayPal account to accept payments.

One of your online competitors would be Ron's Rhinestones http://ronsrhinestones.com/  They did a fantastic job of reaching out to the transgender community. So that might be a good place to look for ideas, inspiration and to research the competition.
If you want what you've never had, you've got to do what you've never done.

Bailey72

Bailey72

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
I've finished a couple of anklets. Here are some images. You can click on the thumbnail to see a full sized image. I used inexpensive glass beads, nylon coated stainless steel wire (so it won't turn and it's very strong) and they are both longer to accommodate transwomen or plus sized women. I can make either in a variety of colors and any length needed. If you girls think these are something TG's would be interested in I will find a way to post them for sale somewhere. Maybe Etsy.

Ideas, opinions please? I modeled them myself and my daughter took the pictures.

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

UsernameOptional

UsernameOptional

Forum Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,634 posts
Very nice Bailey.  I especially like the one in the 3rd, 4th and 5th pix.  My g/f like that one also even though she can't wear ankle bracelets.

Seems to me you could do well making jewelry for [trans]women.  And perhaps even some [cis]women as not all biological females are 5'2" and 104 pounds.  My grandmother's hands were almost as big as my dad's hands, and she had very thick wrists.  I remember when I was much younger hearing her complain about barely being able to fasten the clasps on her bracelets.

-Michael

Anyone notice we gotta truck-load of talented people here at TGG!

Let there be light...and blind the unenlightenable! -DML/2006

Bailey72

Bailey72

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
TY Michael, that's the whole point of this creative exercise. I'm focusing on the needs of the TG community and larger than average women. Just because you were blessed with wrists or anklet that are a little thicker, you shouldn't have to struggle to find attractive, delicate women's jewelry.

Bailey72

Bailey72

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
I did another version of the pearl anklet. I did it in all black beads this time, I also did matching black and silver pearl earrings if I can get the wife to give them up long enough to photograph. The wife agreed (hesitantly) to model this one for me. She says I have prettier legs and ankles but I wanted to spread the love. Let me know what you all think of this version.

Again, all my stuff is made with inexpensive glass or plastic beads and nylon coated stainless steel wire for strength and long term durability. I of course can do the same jewelry with more expensive beads and stones if you prefer.

I'm planning on posting all my stuff on Etsy in the next few days to start offering them up for sale. Your input and opinions are greatly appreciated.

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Bailey72

Bailey72

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
I worked on some earrings tonight. All of these designs can be created in either standard wire hook or clip on. Tell me what you all think!

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

tbirdgal

tbirdgal

Advanced Member / Editor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,055 posts
  • Interests:writing, photography, history. archecture, service station stuff, decent coffee
Bailey, I like them all. You have my personal e-mail. Lets get together on a couple pair of ear rings at least ..........

Calista

Calista

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 215 posts
Great idea Bailey, if there is one thing I'm lacking, it's accessories. I've been wanting an ankle bracelet for a while now. I love silver, I love gold too (18 karat or above) thou a bit expensive for me. Lapiz lazuli, pink moon stone, Pink Tourmaline any feminine gem stones.

Lori's idea to sell on ebay is a great way to sell and it cuts the expense of having your own website with an on-line shop. You can link your ebay page from your Twitter, Facebook and/or blog account.

Good Luck!
Doing what you like is Freedom, Liking what you do is happiness - Allen Ginsberg

Bailey72

Bailey72

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
Calista, I've finished about a dozen more earrings and a couple more anklets. I'm going to put them up on Etsy later today and I'll link the Etsy store front for everyone to see what I've created and to order anything they decide that would like. I'm doing all the jewelry made to order so I can make it to fit each lady that orders something, and the earrings are standard wire hook or clip on based on your preferences.

I'm my own worst critic, so I see the little flaws in all my work, but my wife says my work is amazing and I'm already getting requests from the women in her office that see what new design she wears in each day. I'm hoping this really finds the TG and plus size ladies loving what I do. As a transwoman myself I take a lot of pride in creating something for women like me, made with love and my best efforts to address the shortcomings of the mainstream marketplace.

Thank you to everyone that replied and gave input on everything. You gals (and guys) are my best support and I love each and every one of you for that.

Calista

Calista

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 215 posts
Thanks Baily, I'll keep a look out, I so much prefer to buy something from the trans community. hope you ship to the UK!
Doing what you like is Freedom, Liking what you do is happiness - Allen Ginsberg

Bailey72

Bailey72

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
Ok ladies, the Etsy shop listings are up! Earrings and anklets are listed.

http://www.etsy.com/...reekleatherwork

Let me know what you think of my offerings.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users