Followers 0

He Once a She, Offers Own View of Science Spat

4 posts in this topic

Posted

Interesting Article on how the minds of people work as explored by a trans-man

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB115274744775305134.html

2 people like this

Posted

The difference in socialization is, in my opinion, one of the reasons there seems to be more MTFs than FTMs - males are raised to believe they can do whatever they want to do, and taught to do it with confidence. On the other hand, females are groomed for attracting a male, getting married and having children, and taught that only men do this or that. If a female strays, if she gets any support or praise, it often is not the same as would be given a male - that can derail a person's confidence in a heartbeat.

Despite the fact that many of us can pass and blend into [male] society nearly seamlessly...in my opinion, part of the reason there are so few is because so many FTMs lack the confidence to go after what they want, no matter what it is...unless it's something deemed acceptable by society.

-Michael

1 person likes this

Posted

Dear UNO, I have to differ with this part of your comment .... Quote "males are raised to believe they can do whatever they want to do, and taught to do it with confidence. On the other hand, females are groomed for attracting a male, getting married and having children, and taught that only men do this or that."

I have seen a change in this way of thinking in my life time.

True the it's still not equal for a female as a male but it is a little betta than it was when I was younger....I wish it were though; equal.

Everything else you wrote about in your quote I totally agree with. ;)

1 person likes this

Posted

You are right, PB...it is changing, and I thought about saying so in my post. But I believe this is true only in some situations, though the number of situations is increasing. I also believe that to some degree, change is mostly because of laws...not because there are so many people who are voluntarily letting go of rigid man-made gender roles. This is, whether people want to admit it or not, a patriarchal society. Might not be a pleasant thought. Might not even be politically correct to call out the US on that score. But it's a fact.

And that at least one individual commented that Ben Barre's work was much better than that of his sister's...is proof that rigid gender lines are still being maintained. Some may argue that this was not the sentiment of more people in attendance at that seminar. I am more inclined to believe that others who might have been of like mind, just chose not to make their sentiments known.

There are many people who believe the sexes should be treated equally. But it is people like us who truly see the inequities between the sexes. It is people like us who can actually experience how differently the sexes are treated. The cisgender can sugar coat and dream all they like. But it's hard to hide the cold hard truth from any transperson who has transitioned. And it is that experience, good or bad, that paints the true picture of equality.

-Mike