Change
VISITORS: Your access to view photos and site information is limited as a guest.
Click here to join now

Toggle shoutbox Shoutbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

UsernameOpti... : (14 April 2014 - 02:18 PM) Hello to:  StefanieStefani, Fred, Egc382, poshgirl, SabrinaFatale, LauriePlumb, Roberta4t, Way2beme, Crystal43938, moutaz123, lindsaysayland, Dialma, Rileytroop, volcrazy40, AbigailGreen, CBorden, Sabrina, amanstarr, yoloynot, Hesmyfriend, alexandrous and vigor003...Welcome to TGG
Hesmyfriend : (12 April 2014 - 11:23 PM) Hello to everyone.
Sabrina : (12 April 2014 - 12:00 AM) hello
AbigailGreen : (10 April 2014 - 11:10 AM) Hey am new to the site, just thought i'd say hi lol
stephani : (05 April 2014 - 10:29 PM) Hello and Welcome To All The New Members.
Egc382 : (05 April 2014 - 03:03 PM) Hello everybody, I just joined. Looking forward to interacting with everyone.
Fred : (04 April 2014 - 12:57 AM) Hey guys
UsernameOpti... : (03 April 2014 - 03:24 PM) Hello to:  Raisin, missdelecia, cat, Tgirlinodessa, kml, rashu, ronny, logstud3, teana87, KatyaMarincheva, MelanieH74, krenraf, Der48735, jesretoj, steve212, oneshyguy420, sarahlambert, bugswanny, frankmc73, ilovecrossdressing, Hannah, kittyxoxo, Niki, Kimmeycd, CandyCox, litimmy45, hcurt, ucyll, Pleasegetatme, monumentalaccount, Hisprincess101010, AshtonEcstacy, GarieJeane, Deegirl, Zohan, golferfan59 and brandystone53...Welcome to TGG
Zohan : (02 April 2014 - 10:10 AM) Hello everyone
GarieJeane : (01 April 2014 - 06:45 AM) Hello everyone
AshtonEcstacy : (01 April 2014 - 02:59 AM) ello
Sarah1967 : (26 March 2014 - 03:53 PM) Hi
Gennee : (26 March 2014 - 07:25 AM) Happy birthday,Trinity and Liz. :)
steve212 : (25 March 2014 - 03:34 PM) hi everybody
stephani : (24 March 2014 - 11:21 AM) Hello Every one I am not Dead nor have I forgotten about My favorite Group of loving individuals and family that I have here. I and April are doing what we can to survive and get through to the next day and she wishes everyone well and big hugs/
teana87 : (23 March 2014 - 04:48 PM) hi to all that  are on rigth now
freshstreams : (22 March 2014 - 12:04 PM) Poof!
Gennee : (18 March 2014 - 01:35 PM) Happy Birthday!
UsernameOpti... : (17 March 2014 - 06:30 PM) Hello to:  Evaxxx and sandal97...Welcome to TGG ...  A belated Welcome to:  myheartfourheart, tsjessy2, bernie, merrittjr, Kayla, Cfayton, triciamaddox2 & Berta82
UsernameOpti... : (08 March 2014 - 06:13 PM) Hello to:  manu, KatieAK, Reneigh, riley1999, Leslieuk, Mikki, ready2role, joe, paulroderberg, bgw622, Tyboo, CLCgod and CAMcCh...Welcome to TGG

APA Drops GID from DSM

DSM APA gender identity disorder gender dysphoria American Pyschiatric Assoc

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

UsernameOptional

UsernameOptional

Forum Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,634 posts
Dan Avery, 09.09.2012
"Previously, an individual’s gender identity could be used against them in custody battles and other legal cases. But removing it from the Diagnostic and Statistical Manual (DSM) could cost  trans people insurance coverage for hormone treatments and gender-reassigment surgery."  -queerty.com

American Pyschiatric Association Drops Gender Identity Disorder as Mental Illness

Let there be light...and blind the unenlightenable! -DML/2006

Calista

Calista

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 215 posts
There seems to be a high price to pay for the depathologization of our trans identities. It's as if we will now be punished for having the status of normality.
Doing what you like is Freedom, Liking what you do is happiness - Allen Ginsberg

UsernameOptional

UsernameOptional

Forum Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,634 posts
I think it is most definitely a catch-22 if any and all mention of anything to do with gender identity (transgender, transsexual) has been removed from the DSM.  BUT...if it has, just like the AMA has called all the shots before, they could do so again by simply mandating that Gender Dysphoria is a medical condition.

However, unless I am misinterpreting this, this is a case of semantics (for lack of a better word).  Gender Identity Disorder has been removed from the DSM, but replaced with Gender Dysphoria.

As I said, I might be misinterpreting what's actually been done.  When I read the article last nite, I wasn't real sure which way things actually went, and I have read other articles which discussed this very thing - simply replacing "disorder" with "dyphoria," with the idea that "dysphoria" removes the implication that transpeople are mentally ill.

-Michael

tbirdgal

tbirdgal

Advanced Member / Editor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,055 posts
  • Interests:writing, photography, history. archecture, service station stuff, decent coffee
So, how long before some of the "Neanderthal " judges bother to at least look closely as to new findings / Will this become foddr for the Religious Right ? Hummmmmmmmmm, stay tuned , this could prove to be a bumpy ride .............................

UsernameOptional

UsernameOptional

Forum Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,634 posts
"So, how long before some of the "Neanderthal " judges bother to at least look closely as to new findings...."  -Ellen

I don't think we have to worry about the judges and any ignorance and/or intolerance they may possess.  If someone ends up in front of a judge faced with something like child custody in the balance (as a very good example), the person's lawyer will surely be armed with the knowledge of these changes.  The courts will no longer be able to arrogantly sit back and use gender identity as the sole reason to deny a [trans]parent custody or rights on the premise that gender identity is a mental illness - which I think we've all read of, or know of, at least one case where a court disallowed custody, and imposed severely restricted visitation for no other reason than the parent was TG/TS.

I would think that if a person was faced with something like child custody or visitation rights, that person would know about the changes to the DSM, and would be sure to point it out to his/her lawyer.

As for fodder for the religious right, doesn't matter which way anything goes.  If it doesn't go their way, they will make the ride bumpy... :lol:

HANG ON!!

-Michael

tbirdgal

tbirdgal

Advanced Member / Editor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,055 posts
  • Interests:writing, photography, history. archecture, service station stuff, decent coffee
Point taken .

Calista

Calista

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 215 posts
The depathologization of Trans identity needs to be more than just semantic. Dysphoria seems to be just another useful clinical term pandering to the medical establishment.

There needs to be an holistic approach. Insurance coverage for hormone treatments and gender-reassigment surgery need to be seriously addressed to best meet the needs of trans people.

There is a website called STP Stop Trans Depathologization 2012 which campaigns against the psychiatrization of our identities, thou it doesn't seem to address Insurance issues http://www.stp2012.i...ld/en/manifesto
Doing what you like is Freedom, Liking what you do is happiness - Allen Ginsberg

stephani

stephani

• Moderators
  • 1,009 posts
  • Interests:I Have to say I am flattered BY your glances But I hold nothing within other than a Little Knowledge , if this is what you seek then by all means , lets walk for a whille .
The points are varied and the views a bit scewed but the issue is as it was for the Gay movement to be removed from Psycholologic dictates and mandates and allowed to be seen as humans with Medical issues not Mental ones , the same arguments were played back then as now and now sociatal norms dictate treatments for Gay patients , the same could become true for the Trans population if the correct steps are being followed , the issuse are not being addressed simply the Diagnostic classifications , Though we have systemic issues accociated with Dysphoria due to Gender Identity does not mean nor should it dictate the generalisation of all patients as having Mental Disorders , the declasification from Gender Identity Disorder to Gender Dysphoria is a small step , lets see how many more can be taken before we fall on our faces .

Hugs
Stephani
I Have Fallen Down so much that my Knee's Have grown to use to being bent ....
Take your time to listen and I will give mine up to speak .I wish only to guide you to the place I searched for so long ago , take my hand and walk with us for our time is now , your time is approaching ...

http://www.hrc.org/

Gennee

Gennee

• Moderators
  • 1,582 posts
  • Interests:Poetry, Writing, Reading, Running, Soccer, Transgender Issues, Christianity, documentaries, electronics, bass guitar, lighthouses, castles.
You're right, Michael. It's just play on words it comes down to money. By patholgiizing us the APA can continue pumping folks with their drugs and make us feel abnormal. We ARE normal and what the APA has done to us is criminal.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: DSM, APA, gender identity disorder, gender dysphoria, American Pyschiatric Assoc

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users