14 posts in this topic

Posted

Trudy Ring September 16 2012 3:47 PM ET

"An Oklahoma judge has stirred controversy with decisions not allowing transgender people to change their names legally, claiming they are making the changes for “fraudulent” purposes, in violation of state law." -advocate.com

Transgender Name Changes Not OK With Bible-Quoting Oklahoma Judge

Posted

O K , someone contact A C L U , the mediea , and da Blaze newspaper ...............

Posted

I made a copy of this article. I'm going to read it over and respond here and possibly to the judge if I can get his address.

:angry:

Posted

Michael, This story gives another girls reaction when the Judge made the same decision. In the article she is constantly referred to as 'he' 'his' I Need to contact the editor to complain. Still reeling from the judges decision. :angry:

Daily Mail Article

Posted

Yep, time for A C L U ................................................................

Posted

Wow. The dailymail.co.uk comes thru again, and is obviously of the same [low] caliber as FOX News in the U.S. Their repeated and consistent intentional mis-application of pronouns in reference to the victim(s) of this judge is disgusting. So much so, that I couldn't even finish reading the article. That's how bad the article p*ssed me off.

The OK judge needs to be brought down a peg or two, or removed. Unfortunately, he's probably one of those judges that is voted into office...which means if the majority of people in that district harbour the same attitudes as he does... he'll never be voted out.

Posted

What this judge is doing is breaking the law. He swore an oath to be a fair and unbiased towards anyone in court when he took the job as a judge. And since he violated the law, he should be fired and put in jail for that violation. He has to follow a set of rules that was setup by the government.

Posted

The Judge is letting his bias and prejudice cloud his judgement. As ravcro says it's a blatant violation of his oath of office. His decision appears more about revenge than a serious evaluation of all the factors involved. In fact he ignores most of the factors involved.

He made his decision purely on a persons chromosomes and his interpretation of a passage in the bible, he ignores any brain science regarding gender identity e.g Neuron numbers in the limbic bed nucleus, Brain Hemisphere, The Hypothalamus. hormone levels. 2D4D etc

So a persons DNA cannot be changed with present GRS technology, But wether the 'Judge' Likes it or not one day it will be possible, Thank God. And what if a Trans person chose a unisex name, would that be fraudulent to?

If anyone is being fraudulent it is this 'Judge' who is mimicking an ape while in office. :angry:

Posted

"What this judge is doing is breaking the law. He swore an oath to be a fair and unbiased..." -ravcro

Agreed. He obviously is incapable of keeping his own biases seperate from law. Years ago, I ran across a webpage where a transman had won a case in court to have his name changed. He had a young and up-coming lawyer who debunked current law on names, and who was allowed to have what names. Basically, this lawyer broke down the argument of what a name is. I can't remember exactly how it went. I wish I could find that page - but back then, I didn't know about/understand bookmarks/bookmarking.

"And what if a Trans person chose a unisex name, would that be fraudulent to?" -Calista

I don't think it would matter to this judge if a name was unisex. I think a part of his argument is that no matter what name you choose, it will not change what sex you are, and therefore be fraudulent. I think the bottom line is, if you are trans, in his narrow mind...your name should not be changed at all.

I would also be willing to bet he's one of these people who doesn't like "unisex" names - if the name doesn't clearly announce male or female, it probably doesn't exist in his book.

" If anyone is being fraudulent it is this 'Judge' who is mimicking an ape while in office. :angry:" -Calista

:lol: That's an insult to an ape. An ape wouldn't get bent over your name. ;)

People have wierd ideas about names. I once knew a couple who intentionally picked out names for their son and daughter (and especially the son), that traditionally have no accompanying nicknames, or that could not be shortened and "cutened" up. (Is "cutened" a word? :lol:) As an example, the name James would have been unacceptable, because it has such nicknames as "Jim," "Jimmie," "Jimmy" and "Jamie." They felt that such nicknames were "cute" and not meant for boys.

Go figure...

See a related thread: (2006), begun by Senior Moderator, Annie. Annie and I used to chat regularly with a guy who was victim of a biased judge.

Posted

" If anyone is being fraudulent it is this 'Judge' who is mimicking an ape while in office. :angry:" -Calista

:lol: That's an insult to an ape. An ape wouldn't get bent over your name. ;) - Michael

Oops, That was an inappropriate comparison, no offence intended :blink:

Posted

I read the article last night. Judge Graves has the right to express his opinion but his logic is flawed. What does he mean by transgender people changing their name for 'fraudulent purposes?' He mentions that the DNA does stay the same which is true. I also believe that he is seeing transition from a physical side only and not taking into account the emotional and scientific side of the equation. If Judge Graves did his homework he would see that.

I'm familiar with the verse he quoted. I highlight the part that says 'be fruitful and multiply and replenish the earth.' This takes into account topics such as the environment, helping those less fortunate, caring for the elderly, disabled, and the young. I first thought about all the couples who cannot have children. I would love to ask Graves if he he considers these folks 'fraudulent.'

I sense that in his eyes that there are people who he sees as 'less than worthy'. As a state rep, he banned same sex marriage so I'm not all that surprised by his ruling. I wonder if he know Sally Kern, the wife of a minister who called Jean Novotny, a transgender woman, "it" when she ran for office against her.

3 people like this

Posted

ACLU files appeal in case of transgender woman denied name change

LGBTQ Nation

OKLAHOMA CITY, OK — The American Civil Liberties Union of Oklahoma (ACLU) has announced that it will represent a transgender woman who was denied a name change by an Oklahoma judge who told her “you can't change what God gave you.” ...

Posted

"O K , someone contact A C L U , the mediea , and da Blaze newspaper ..............." -Ellen

Looks like someone heard ya, Ellen.. ;)

Found this OKC Channel 9 video on Angela Ingram's situation while trying to find out if any help was going to be offered to Christie Ann Harvey who was also denied a name change by this same judge.

http://youtu.be/kiaJpixscKY

Also found this video... The David Pakman Show

1 person likes this

Posted

UPDATE --

Staff Reports - Thursday, March 27, 2014

"The American Civil Liberties Union of Oklahoma Foundation, representing Angela Ingram, had appealed Oklahoma County Judge Bill Graves’s denial of her application to change her legally recognized name from James Dean Ingram to Angela Renee Ingram." --lgbtqnation.com

Court overturns judge’s refusal to allow transgender applicant’s name change